2637 Main Street, Santa Monica, California, 90405, United States

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Sea Shore Motel - Budget's NOT a Dirty Word!

After searching online for over a month looking for a hotel in Santa Monica, I had resigned myself to having to spend $300/night for a decent place to stay on our vacation. THANK GOODNESS I happened across the Sea Shore Motel! Not only were the rates reasonable (by California standards), the hotel was perfect for us. Walking distance to the beach (2 blocks), the Santa Monica Pier (.5 miles), the Promenade (.5 miles), and all of the boutique shopping and restaurants on Main Street. FREE onsite parking (seriously, check out what the hotels in the area charge for parking), and there is a breakfast/lunch restaurant on site. The room was quite large, and had a king size bed. Beautiful tile floors (which helped to clean the sand out), and a small refrigerator. I loved the "old California" vibe - there was a lovely rooftop sitting area where you could watch the sunset. The manager was very friendly, giving us maps at check in and recommending restaurants close by. We LOVED it here and would not hesitate to stay there again!

• butterfly_girl's Profile Photo

Great Santa Monica Location

This hotel is all about location. It is not a deluxe hotel (although I hear it just got remodeled) but as far as location goes, I think it is one of the best locations in LA. It is right in the heart of cool Main Street in Santa Monica. You will be within walking distance of restaurants, coffeeshops and the beach. It is in a safe, fun neighborhood.

More about Sea Shore Motel

by venusdmoon72 about Sea Shore Motel

Around $70-$110 Feels very 'homey'. It wasn't your typical motel, it had the Spanish look, with terracotta tiles and cable. So comfortable and clean.

Quaint Motel

It was our first time at the Sea Shore Motel, as well as in Santa Monica, and we just felt at home immediately. It's clean, and simple, with great owners who really care and are there for your every whim. I highly recommed this charming spot.

Would stay again

A friend and I stayed in the Sea Shore Motel for 4 nights in September and we think that it was excellent value for money. Big, clean rooms, good beds and a nice bathroom all such a short distance from the beach in a nice part of town. The staff are friendly too. If I were to visit the Los Angeles area again, I would definately stay there again. Santa Monica has great shopping within walking distance and a pretty good public bus system (we didn't have a car and still managed to get to Rodeo Drive and Hollywood).

The BEST little motel

by TripAdvisor Member Audthang

I have stayed at the Sea Shore Motel many times. Having grown up and lived in LA for 30 years, believe me, this is an awesome little motel for the money. You cannot beat the location nor the price.

It is not luxury, but if you want that...go spend about $400 for a room at Shutters. If you rather spend your money doing fun things in LA, then this is the place. The rooms are clean and the staff couldn't be more helpful.

Whenever I go back home...I have many friends' places I can stay for free, but I always make it a point to spend a couple days at the Sea Shore because of the location.

There is so much to do right there or take a short drive away in either direction you'll be in Malibu or Hollywood/Los Angeles.

I have recommended the Sea Shore to 2 friends here in Maryland and each just loved it.

When I go back home in June. I am once again staying at the Sea Shore for a couple days and I can't wait.

Don't listen to the negatives...this is a great place for an awesome price with the best location in town!

Wonderful place for our family

We recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Sea Shore Motel in June 2006. We were in their "queen suite" which was spacious, clean and fabulous for our family of 4. The kids slept on the queen-sized sofa bed and in a crib (which was provided free of charge) in the main room while my husband and I took the bedroom. The decor in the suite was lovely (granite counters, etc...) and we enjoyed the balcony and the free, shaded parking spot that was assigned to our room.

The beach playground was close enough that our 15-month-old could walk by himself. And the shops and restaurants on Main Street were fun to explore. The farmer's market across the street from the motel on Sunday morning was the best I have ever seen -- in addition to awesome produce, it had made-to-order crepes, omlets, pancakes, etc... They even had ponies there to give the little ones a ride.

My only MINOR complaints were that the tile floor in the suite, although lovely, was a very hard surface for our toddler's tumbles. Also, the soundproofing between the main room and bedroom was not very good. We did not hear any noise from Main Street though. I would highly recommend staying at the Sea Shore.

Nice Suite but w/ some inconvenience

by TripAdvisor Member MomTraveller

We gave the motel a try in early June weekend because of its high marks from follow travellers, its location and reasonable room rates plus complimentary overnight parking. The full name of the family-run lodging is "Sea Shore Motel & Suites." The older building of motel rooms (where the run down dimmed reception office locates) are 2 stories and the fairly new suites are only on the 2nd floor (there are 4 suites) on another building.

Indeed, the older motel rooms and suites are separated by a laundromate, a retail store and an apartment building but we didn't know that UNTIL we checked into our rooms. The photos on motel's website only show viewers of the main/older building, so I thought they converted some rooms upstairs into suites. I thought all types of rooms are in one building and I was so wrong about that!

The motel staff sent me email confirmation but didn't reveal to me that there would be a distance between 2 rooms and would that be a concern?. We reserved a room with 2 double (queen) beds and a suite with a king-sized bed with a kitchen. We thought we'd have rooms close to each other, so I learned that I better ask more clear questions.

My parents arrived at the motel first and checked into the 2 double-beds-room only had to leave the room because the cleaning agents the motel used were quite strong and wouldn't go away even after opening the windows. When we let the person-in-charge at the reception know, he kindly showed us another vacant room that was closer to the Main street, it was a room that's got more natural light, but one could hear the traffic noise from the street and the strong cleaning chemical smell remained, so my parents decided to stay at the room they were given at first place. I felt bad about it but the motel didn't do anything to improve the situation.

Because I have a young baby, so we reserved a suite which has only been built not long ago so the decor is brighter, the ceiling is higher, a more pleasant feel than the older motel rooms. However, there is view of garbage and boring apartment outside the balcony. There is no scenic view to speak of. Also, we got a suite with 2 queen-sized beds what wasn't what we reserved but the other suites were all checked in already to make a suite change which was all right.

When we checked into the suite the pre-requested complimentary crib (playpen) was already set up and ready for us to use which was very appreciated.

The previous reviewer/parent mentioned that there is no soundproof to speak of between the living room and bedroom -- I found it to be a prevelent problem in Ameican buildings. I'd lobby for soundproof implementation in all living spaces!

Most of the accommodations in Santa Monica charge for parking, but this motel doesn't so that was one of the deciding factors to choose this motel, but I was disappointed with the parking situation. For the rooms in the older building which has its own parking area but it's often full and crammed.

Then for suite dwellers, our parking spaces are right beneath the suites on the 1st floor. The 1st night after we came back from dinner, we couldn't park our mid-sized car becasue someone's giant SUV pretty much dominated our parking space too! So I told the person-in-charge and he said he'd tell the customer to park well the next day? But the next day a different car was parked there?! I thought we were required to stay for at least 2 nights there during weekends. In any case, the space was still too tight for my car to get in so I parked somewhere outside that parking area and hope it would be all right.

During the day when we went back to the motel, we saw some customers of the laundromate and retail shop also parked in that area! Our "free" designated parking space was often occupied! I hope you'd have a better experience! And what could we say about giant cars and regular sized cars competing for the same sized parking space?!

We were in town for a wedding so we didn't get to explore the Main Street and the neighborhood which seems to be eclectic. I am glad to learn that the Sunday Farmer's Market right across from the motel was a good one. The Pacific ocean is 2 blocks west of the motel.

I've been trusting tripadvisor reviews to select accommodations and also have been sharing my own experiences here and I hope with each new review I am giving you the informed travellers new information about this motel. It's very beneficial to prepare by knowing more before you go to your choice of interest and then be open and flexible to aquire your own reality and share what you find to better other travellers' experiences!

great place.

This motel was great. I stayed here for about 5 nights with my family. we stayed at the top floor, closest to the street. We found the rooms to be very spacious, the bathroom was especially huge. It was clean with a microwave, fridge and we asked for a jug and toaster too. But whats best about the motel, despite what it looks like on the outside, is the location. We based ourselves in santa monica to travel around the rest of L.A which worked out well. Your within walking distance of the beach ofcourse and the shopping area. theres also a great pizza place nearby.And the noise (its not an overly busy road) wasnt a problem, because look lets face it when your head hits the pillow you'll fall asleep straight away because of being a busy tourist all day, youd be tired.

Dream of California

by amberkoh

"My ex-Boyfriend comment in Hardwarezone SG!"

Just came back from a holiday in california a month ago. Really nice place and the weather is fantastic; Now I know why some call it sunny california and the days are long now (sun rises at ard 5am and sets at ard 9pm)

Basically, I find it a must to rent a car in california. Public transport in most cities (L.A. especially) is quite bad. The only place I was at that I could get by without a car was in San Francisco.

Of cos having a car was a must for me as I included Monterey, Big Sur, Santa babara, L.A., Yosemite national park and San francisco in my itinerary.

But I feel a car is really handy even if u r visiting L.A alone. There are a number of places near L.A that is worth a trip if u have the time, malibu(0.5 hr away from say LAX) , santa babara (1.5hrs), a factory outlet at camarillo if u r interested to do some shopping (0.5hr) etc. Within L.A. there's many places to go as well, santa monica, venice beach, long beach, griffith park, hollywood, beverly hills etc. Moreover, west hollywood is also quite far away from Anaheim (45mins or so) and public transport is a no no if u are planning to visit Disneyland.

One of the downside of having a car is you have to try and avoid driving during the peak hrs which is ard 7-9.30am and 4-6.30pm. Or at least avoid the popular freeways like 405 then cos the traffic gets pretty bad sometimes.

Another downside is parking which can get quite expensive. $5usd for parking is very common. Metered parking are cheaper but the max time I saw for metered was 2 hrs. Pls take note that u have to keep to the timing as they are very strict and can issue fines even when u r a few seconds late.

And read up on the parking regulations. My frens and I were really suay and got a 65usd ticket for parking on a red zone (no stopping). We look out for the restrictions on the time we can park along the road but did not notice that the curb was coloured red, real expensive lesson :laugh: Somemore we only parked the car there for ard 45mins and it was quite a deserted residential estate. They really do their patrolling manz.

Get a detailed map so u can navigate properly and avoid some of the freeways during peak hrs. I got a laminated one at 6 usd from borders while I was there. Plan your way before u move out to save time as well.

Also if the driver is above 25 then just get a car cos its really gg to be dirt cheap. (Cos u save on the 20 usd per day charge for under 25 years old).

"My Boyfriend comment in Hardwarezone SG! Part 2"

Btw do stay in Santa Monica if u have the budget. In my opinion its the nicest place in L.A. It is also the safest btw; some places in L.A. for e.g. a part of hollywood can get pretty rough at night.

Accomodation is generally more expensive over there but u can find some affordable ones. I stayed 4 nights at Sea Shore Motel when I was there which is 2 blocks away from the beach.

Nice and cosy place. Paid ard $100 usd per night for a quad sharing room. We had 4 pp so it works out to be very affordable at $25usd per person.

And go to six flags magic mountain if u like theme parks. Its the most thrill seeking one there. The thrill rides there are
Queue up for all the very scary looking ones first, its worth the wait. Dun waste time on some of those older rides cos u won't have enough time in the end.

My personal favs was Goliath and The riddler's challenge Superman the escape looks really scary also and try to leave that as ur last ride if u intend on taking it :laugh: It was on maintenance while I was there, a part of me was quite relieved :laugh: u can look at some of the extreme rides at their site below.

can get the print n go tickets at $25.99 at their homepage as well. u save 20usd per ticket

Sea Shore Motel or Sea View Hotel?

by SFHulaGIrl

Which has the better rooms and the better location?

Re: Sea Shore Motel or Sea View Hotel?

by travelgourmet

I don't know about the insides, but the Sea View Hotel is close in to Santa Monica proper and near the pier and 3rd St. Promenade. As for the Seashore Motel, it is on Main Street, near Ocean Park Blvd., a good mile to the pier and downtown Santa Monica.

Comments