The Fairmont Miramar Hotel Santa Monica

Costs 32% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Fairmont Miramar Hotel Santa Monica

Meet under the Fig Tree before Christmas

by marinarena

At the ridiculously posh Fairmont Miramar Hotel, there is an old (by Californian standards) Moreton fig tree on its grounds. To salute the 80 ft high natural beauty, the hotel get super holiday pretty and hosts an annual social gathering open to all. Some of the most grand holiday decoration is here, as well as some holiday treat to eat . Gingerbread houses will be on display and to purchase for charity.

Beautiful, elegant hotel

We stayed at the Fairmont Miramar two nights last week and were very pleased with the charming decor. The Tower rooms are small, but we loved looking over the ocean and pier from our balcony.
An excellent location, very close to Third Street Promenade and a 10-minute walk to the pier. Highly recommended, but if you are staying for any length of time, perhaps one of the larger rooms would be better.

Best of Everything!!

by TripAdvisor Member Laz1972

Me and my wife (ages (36/34) just returned from a great Memorial Day Weekend at the Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica. I chose this hotel based on the reviews from the trip advisor and was happy with the selection. We do quite a bit of traveling and are extremely selective on the hotels we stay at during vacation. This hotel hasa grand entrance with the most beautiful tree draped over the valet area. Service throughout out stay was prompt and courteous and the common areas were always clean and well kept. we requested room 1039, the SW Ocean Corner unit on the 10th Floor, which I got asa tip from a previous traveler...I highly recommend this room. The room was spacious, had a great ocean view, and had all the amenities, including high-speed internet access and a well stocked mini-bar. Breakfast in the hotel was great at the Koi Pond, despite what one previous traveler had mentioned. We even spotted a few stars in the lobby on ocassion. Best of all, the hotel is also greatly situated close to restaurants and hang-outs, Some great "eats" include: Sushi Roku right down the street;Drinks at the trendy hotel Viceroy down the street; For steak, try Balboa on the strip; and can't leave without trying Dolce just off the strip for dinner.
All in all, I highly recommend the Fairmont Miramar forvalue, service, and location.

Ants in 308

by TripAdvisor Member Brownknee

I am giving this Hotel a Neutral/average rating of 3 out of 5 circles. I just returned last night from a 3 night/4 day Valentine's Weekend Get Away. I had never been to the area before. My husband stayed at the Fairmont two weeks ago while in the LA area for business. He raved about the Hotel, the view from his room, and the close location to shopping and the Santa Monica Pier. He had follow up business so decided to take me along as a Valentine gift for me. Unfortunatley the ocean tower was full so we got a room that looked over a side street. Ofcourse my husband was dissapointed in that but I thought our room was very nice having not seen the other room. The problem was the first morning I plugged my cell phone to charge it in the mini bar area and within minutes it had ants crawling on it. I did not get to worked up at this point thinking a previous guest had spilled a drink in the area. Then I went into the bathroom and there were ants crawling around the toiletress we had left on the counter. The worst thing was I had hung my leather coat on the back of the chair at the desk and the morning we were leaving we had about 25 ants crawling all over my coat. When my husband checked out he said that there was a ant problem in our room and told them about the ants crawling all over my leather coat. They acted not to concerned with one guy asking who do I report ant problems to and the other guy responding with who needed to be told. Bottom line is they did not offer any apologize or deduct any cost from our $269 before taxes/per night room. YES we could have yelled and caused a scene and then I am sure they would have compensated us. So if you are planning a visit the location is great, the Hotel beautiful, but watch out for the ants in room 308!

A good but uneven experience

by TripAdvisor Member hrza04a

Spent three nights at the hotel 2/11-14/04. Convenient location overlooking beach - about a 10 minute walk to get there, however. Valet parking (self parking not available) and reception were welcoming and efficient. First night was in older section of hotel. BIG rooms, nicely appointed, nice amenities. Problems were that desk telephone didn't work, louver adjustment on one of the venetian blinds was broken and stacking chairs were scattered in the hallway. Dinner in the hotel's one restaurant was satisfactory (food okay, good service, entrees pricey in the high $20 - low $30 range). Breakfast the next morning was terrific (albeit pricey): Quick, friendly service. Note that varied and much less expenseive restaurant alternatives are within a short walk.
Health facility, open 24hours, was not crowded at 6:30am and had sufficient machines and complimentary fruit. That day we were moved to a tower room without incident. Tower rooms are newer but MUCH smaller than the older section. If you could get a room with a view in the older section of the hotel I would definitely take it over a tower room unless you must have a balcony (tower rooms have a very small balcony).
Things were fine until the day we checked out. We discovered to our amazement that the shower curtain had been removed from our room the prior afternoon, which made for messy showers in the morning. Then we went to breakfast and couldn't get anyone to give us coffee or take our order to save our lives despite polite requests after 5 and 10 minutes!
Not a nice way to spend Valentine's Day. E-mailed hotel manager with observations but did not receive reply. Last comment: Business services center is actually part of the gift shop. It is theoretically open until 10pm, but if you need to work at the computer through dinner, the lady working the gift shop will implore you to stop your work for an hour so she can get dinner.....

Fabulous stay at the Fairmont!

After an extensive review on TripAdvisor, I selected the Fairmont for a three day weekend in L.A. last week. I couldn't be more pleased. My wife and I stayed in the towers, which I recommend for a first-timer-- request the 10th or highest available floor facing the pier... A beautiful view of the Santa Monica Pier at night, as well as the wide Santa Monica Beach, from your walkout patio. We also looked at the Bungalows during our stay-- also, very nice (a little roomier) accomadation. I like both! Besides the first class service and friendly, attentive staff, go for the casual ambience, and its ideal location: minutes to the pier and 3rd street promenade. a short drive to LAX, a short distance to beverly hills, and right on the pacific coast highway. DON'T MISS a trip to Montana Ave., upscale boutique shopping, where we bumped into 3 celebrities on a Saturday evening!
We'll return to the FAIRMONT in future trips to L.A. Oh, and if you like sushi, check out Asakuma (11701 Wilshire Blvd)-- excellent!!

Good Stay, Good location, Rooms a little small

by TripAdvisor Member Denver-Rosie

My husband and I just returned from the Fairmont for the weekend. It's a nice hotel. The staff is wonderful. The location is quite good.

I felt the rooms in the tower were a little small and starting to show some wear. The bathrooms are also quite small.

So the hotel is elegant, staff is wonderful, location is good -- rooms small.

Too many problems

Just returned from a weekend at this hotel. Even though check in was at 3:00, our room wasn't ready until 5:00. We sat at the pool waiting for the room and waited 25 minutes for the bartender to bring the drinks we ordered. Dirty dishes, glasses and trash left by previous guests were all around the pool. The drinks were outrageously expensive and not that great.

We had lunch by the Koi pond which was terrible. The fish was dry and ill prepared. Do your self a favor and do not eat in this hotel. There are too many great resturants on 3rd street to waste your time and money here.

Our room was very nice and roomy, but the air conditioning broke at 2 am on a very hot weekend. NOT good at all.

Went to the sauna to find piles of used towels in the laundry bin and all over the floor. It looked like days since it had been looked after. The steam room had mold on the floor.

This place has a great location but management is not on top of things. The valet was the best service we received. Sad.

Mixed Reviews

After a doing quite a bit of research, both on this site and others, my husband and I decided to stay at the Faimont Miramar for a four day stay this July. I give the Fairmont mixed reviews because there are clear strengths and obvious problems that this hotel needs to correct in order the justify the very high price.

First, the good. Location, location, location. Right across from the Third Street Promenade with tons of dining, shopping, and people watching possibilities in addition to a ten-minute stroll to the Santa Monica Pier. The hotel staff, from valets to desk attendants, were amazing. Very professional and warm, they handled all of our needs as best they could. The pool is beautiful, but small, and the waitstaff service was excellent. The grounds of this hotel are fabulous and pristine and the beautiful lobby is equally impressive.

Now the bad. We arrived for check in at 3pm and were told kindly told that our room wasn't ready. On a Thursday? So we were asked to wait in the bar, where we were charged $16 for two beers. In my opinion, the drinks should have been on the house. An hour later, our room was ready and we were pleased that we have an airy, open, beautifully decorated room in the historic Palisades wing. We made dinner reservations for 8pm and took a stroll. When we returned to our room to shower, we discovered that the shower head wasn't working. The front desk offered to move us, but we opted to use the working shower "wand" instead, take a 50% discount for the night, and let an "engineer" fix the problem while we were out for dinner.

On our second day, we were getting ready for a wedding in the warm afternoon when the air conditioning broke. Not fun. So again we call down and while we are at the wedding, they send up the engineer to fix the problem.

I had called a week in advance to set up massage appointments for my husband and I the next morning at the independent spa located within the hotel. Our appointments were for 9am, but when we arrived 10 minutes early to ready for our treatments the spa was closed??? An attendant for the salon invited us to wait and read. So we did, and finally one masseuse shows, 10 minutes late, only to get on the phone and start making phone calls??? We were on a tight schedule, so my husband left to meet friends. The other masseuse arrived at 9:15 with no appologies. Only that I could still get 45 minutes of my hour-long massage or re-schedule. With this kind of treatment, I opted to take my spa money and go shopping. What a dissapointment.

On our third night, the air conditioning broke again. This time (at 11pm) the unit was completely frozen and the engineer had to run the heater for an hour to thaw it out. Again, we were offered a 50% discount and (this time) free cocktails while we waited for our room.

The bottom line is that this beautiful hotel with an amazing location could be served well to spend a little money working on maintenance issues in the Palisaides rooms. If I were heading back, I would request the newer Tower rooms (which are smaller) to avoid the maintenance fiascoes. And I would wait untill off-season when rooms are cheaper than $300/night. I would also avoid the "spa" - definitely not the spa experience I was expecting.

Gets one circle for good location and car valet

by TripAdvisor Member guye

We stayed here for four nights in July. Our cramped room on the fifth floor of the tower was decorated in what seemed to be a 1940s theme with worn pea-green bedspreads, tassels everywhere, a loose electrical socket, a permanently locked safe (I was told the machine used to open locked safes was away for repair) bad shower water pressure, a blockage-prone lavatory, a mysterious large sticky area on one of the windows, a bed with an incline, a faulty balcony door-lock and inconsistent housekeeping.

Our request to change room was met with disbelief bordering on rudeness by the front desk. After seeing two other rooms that were available we decided to stay where we were.

Room service was unusually expensive, with the food being edible but not tasty. Breakfast in the poolside restaurant was reasonable (except the $6 glasses of “fresh” orange juice which tasted unpleasant) but we experienced slow service.

We are not overly fussy, but like to stay in reasonable hotels. Having paid $299 + tax per night we were disappointed. The only things to recommend this hotel is the location (minutes from the beach and 3rd Street Promenade) and the efficient and friendly car valet.

Comments