The Huntley Hotel Santa Monica

Huntley Santa Monica Beach
Hotels.com Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• csordila's Profile Photo

Decent price for downtown location

We stayed at the Huntley, because it was a decent price for a hotel on 2nd street in the downtown. but not a place for the average tourist. Its location is more than good because it is close to both the beach, plenty of restaurant and local shops on the Third Street Promenade. You can eat on the top floor restaurant, the food is not bad. The bar offers great views of LA. Parking is inside the hotel for extra charge.

Unique Quality: Santa Monica attractions near the Hotel
    - Palisades Park - 1 block
    - Santa Monica Beach - 1 block
    - Third Street Promenade - 1 block
    - Santa Monica Pier - 4 blocks

Directions: 2nd street in the downtown.
    Map of the Hotel

• JLoeb's Profile Photo

Best unexpected Hotel

What a great hotel. Upon check in my daugther and I thought we were in a small to medium size hotel in Europe. Rooms were fantastic even with a flat screen plasma. Wonderful Ocean View. This was a girls weekend and we could have not placed ourselves in a better location if we tried. Walking distance to everything. Shopping, eating and of course drinking all we wanted without having to worry about driving.
    Best little place we wandered into off SM pier was Big Dean's. We met the most amazing people ever that totally topped off our trip. Looking forward to next time.

Unique Quality: Wonderful, quite, clean and service was great. Close to everything.

• antistar's Profile Photo

The Huntley

If I thought my hotel was nice, I was in for a shock when I saw where our publisher collegues were staying. Up to $500 a night to stay here, and you'll not see much change from $300 for the least expensive rooms. When I first walked into the place, I stepped into a room and saw a red Ferrari. I thought the car was part of the decor, it was that kind of hotel, only later I discovered it was the hotel's pristine resident's garage.

Downstairs is a stylish foyer, complete with llama skin rugs and piranha skeleton wall decorations. Upstairs is a grand piano bar, with fantastic views over the city and ocean.

I can't comment on its quality, but my colleagues from the publishers absolutely loved it.

• RAINBOWWINGS's Profile Photo

In the centre of things....

Just 13kms from LAX airport and 1 block from the beach and Wiltshire Boulevard, this hotel was a good choice from our arrival, where the car valets take your car and your worries and park them away somewhere(never did see where and charge a whopping $26 a day)to the care and friendliness from all the staff. Rooms were a disappointment. Three rooms booked and we had one enormous room/suite and two very small end of corridor rooms. Would have been nice if we´d all had the same as glancing in open doors the majority of rooms looked huge. Well the rooms were small but were furnished beautifully with the most comfortable "pillow beds" Ive ever slept on. Bathrooms varied from room to room. I had a big shower stall, no tub, the others had both! Each room had its own mini safe BUT it wasnt bolted down to anything and could have been carried away quite easily! The big plus , of course , was the 42" plasma screen TV in all rooms. Minor things that didnt stop us enjoying our stay there.

Unique Quality: Unfortunately the restaurant on the roof..Toppers..was closed for refurbishment so they had opened another restaurant....The Garden Room Restaurant... on the second floor with a lovely terrace for enjoying breakfast or taking a cool evening pre dinner drink. Once again staff were very friendly and I love it when they remember what you drink with breakfast without having to order it!
    This hotel met all our requirements and was only a short walk from all the sights and sounds that Santa Monica is famous for. After a complete renovation , the luxury is obvious....they just need to tie up a few loose ends!

• RsbrySwrrl's Profile Photo

Beautiful Views and Huge Bathrooms!

Checked in on Friday afternoon. The staff was lovely and so was the room. We had a balcony with views of the beach and the bathroom was huge. Also got a complimentary fruit basket on Friday evening, which was so yummy!! In room coffeemaker as well. I'd definitely recommend it. A little on the pricey side, but so worth it!

Unique Quality: Balconies with terrific views.

More about The Huntley Hotel Santa Monica

Awesome Sunset

My wife and I spent a weekend at The Huntley Hotel in late January 2006. We stayed there because she had worked there many years ago and had fond memories from those times. Our visit added a few more. The Hotel has recentlty been extensively refurbised, and everything is new and clean. It was my wife's birthday on the day we arrived and The Huntley had prepared a Welcome and Happy Birthday basket of fruits, wine and champagne. Thoughtful and delicious! The location was ideal, a block from the beach and a block from Santa Monica Promenade. We walked everywhere, no need for the car. The view from Toppers, the restaurant/bar on the top floor was awewome, especially at sunset. I've included a couple of photos taken from the lounge at Toppers. A great place to stay when visiting Santa Monica.

Doesn't make the grade

The Huntley has undergone a renovation and looks elegant and sophisticated. Beautiful lobby with candles everywhere and a very friendly staff. Unfortunately, two things marred what would have been a great experience. First, there is virtually no place to store your clothes in your room. We were a family of four staying six days and had to live out of our suitcases because our room had only a closet with hangers with a shelf above, no chest of drawers or dresser. The hangers/shelf did not accommodate more than one of us. Second, and most disappointing, was the sulfurous smell that blew from our air handling vent. The odor was frequent but not constant and since we were out until late hours most nights, it was usually too late to consider changing rooms when the odor was detected. Also, we were hopeful during the first couple of days that the odor was due to the first use of the air conditioning for the season and was temporary. Since it would dissipate after a few hours this seemed a reasonable conclusion. We were wrong and probably should have gone to the trouble of packing ourselves up and moving to another floor. As is was, we were lucky the weather was nice, so we kept the windows open without using the air handling system as much as possible. After a couple of days we realized it was probably the enitre floor, not just our room, so I'd suggest you avoid the 8th floor.

Had a good time!

by TripAdvisor Member Pryncess14

My husband and I went to stay here over the weekend and we had a good time. We paid extra for a ocean view and we could see the ocean from our bedroom window but oddly it was the view from the bathroom that was spectacular - not that we were in there very much.

The 42" plasma was nice since we brought a couple DVD's with us and just chilled out in the evening.

The food is great and that prices are as high as you would think for being a higher end hotel.

The staff is nice and the bed was so comfortable.

All in all we had a good time - it's better then most but for me on par with a Westin or W hotel.

Hotel ought to be closed during renovation work spring/summer 2006 - but isn't

Hotel unacceptably noisy- I had to check out because of the hammering and drrilling noises that woke me up early morning and carried on all day. They are renovating the hotel and lots of guests were complaining - they start early morning and build all day and over weekends too. The nice lady at the front desk told me that the work will be going on until late July. It's very bad. Very stressful. We paid nearly $8,000 in advance for 2 rooms for 9 days. I write this from the hotel as I await another hotel room elsewhere to be made availablle. Every room in the hotel (17 floors) is affected! Why don't they put this stuff on their web site? Reviewed May 02 2006.

Comments