801 Bridgeway, Sausalito, California, 94965, United States

Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Room with a view

We stayed only one night at this lovely hotel, on the final night of a touring holiday of Northern California and it was certainly one of the highlights. We wanted to end our holiday in a romantic, older-style character property and this certainly met our requirements. We did not eat at the hotel but it was located on a hillside (lift to rooms and steps down to the 'sidewalk; if you preferred the exercise). Our room had a little balcony overlooking the marina and, apart from a 'tired' bathroom, which we felt needed some TLC, it had such a wonferful view and location that we were very satisfied.
    We had a picture window running across most of the bedroom, which also had a working fireplace and very comfortable bed.
    Valet parking makes life very easy, on arrival and departure. Parking could be a problem if you do not pay for this service.

Unique Quality: The hotel and its wonderful views over the water and marina, from its elevated position, are lovely.

Directions: Opposite Marina

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Theme rooms with an incredible view

Casa Madrona is smack in the middle of Sausalito and has been there for a very, very long time. They recently expanded in to what was formerly an indoor shopping mall called the Village Fair. The old rooms were all themed differently, with varying styles, prices and views. It's rather expensive, but everyone I know that's stayed there has loved it. Climbing up the hillside, the views are unmatched.

Directions: Center of Sausalito

More about Casa Madrona Hotel And Spa

Great Weekend at Casa Madrona!

by TripAdvisor Member PTM1962

Me and my wife spent a 3 day weekend at Casa Madrona before a business trip in San Fransico. We had a great time! Not sure why all the bad reviews?We were booked for one of the newer rooms, however at check-in we were upgraded to a suite in the older section. The room was recently remodeled and very clean and spacious. This hotel is more laid back than we are used to, we usually stay at a Ritz Carlton or similar. The service at both check-in and the bell hop station was great. The food and atmosphere at Paggio was very good. Overall we had a great time and I would recommend the Casa Madrona for a romantic getaway. The weather was perfect ( Low 70's and Sunny) which always helps. Rent a car and drive up north to Sonoma ,the views are breathtaking!!

The staff at Casa Madrona makes the difference

by TripAdvisor Member Lyrica71

We just spent our one year anniversary at the Casa Madrona and the staff, (concierge Nancy Dubois, in particular) was what made it truly special. Everyone was helpful, knowlegable about their facility and the surrounding environs, and unfailingly polite.

We had one of the newer contemporary Harbor View Rooms. (We checked out one of the hillside rooms, and it while the view was better, the rooms were a bit cramped, the decor was definitely tired and it's a lonnnnng trek to reach them. Make sure you reserve the new side!!) The view we had over the harbor and Tiburon was quite nice, though we had to look over the main drag and a parking lot to see it. The furnishings were classy, the bathroom was divine (fantastic two-person tub!) and the little balcony was a nice place to sit and enjoy the sunshine before venturing out to explore Sausalito. The rooms are all over a pretty busy street, so it can be a bit loud, but at night with the blackout curtain drawn, we heard no street noise.

We enjoyed 90 minute custom massages at the onsite Avanyu Spa. While not the *most* luxurious spa we've been to (no hot-tubs, the steam room in the women's lounge was not operational and the amenities were a tad sparse) the therapists were accomplished and professional, the treatment rooms were soothing and we were made to feel very comfortable before, during and after our treatments.

Far and away the best part of the experience was the Deluxe Romantic Turndown service which Ms. Dubois provided. Upon our return from dinner, we found our room transformed into a wonderfully romantic hideaway: Longstemmed roses, floating gardenias, champagne, chocolate hearts sprinkled around the room, candles everywhere, and hundreds of rose petals covering the bed and floating in the tub...truly an astonishing site. (She even had our favorite CD playing.) This had been arranged ahead of time as a surprise, but even the one who made the arrangements with Ms. Dubois was surprised and delighted; the room exceeded all expectations, with the special touches in place precisely as requested. It made what would have been a very nice weekend away into a magical one.

This is a lovely little hotel. Our stay there was an experience we will always treasure.

Casa Madrona Hotel and Spa

by FreeCloud about Mikayla Restaurant

Fantastic view of the bay and excellent California/Seafood cuisine.

Restaurant Reservation:
(415) 331-5888

Do go there early before everyone, enjoy the view of sunset at the bay. Details later

boy was I a sucker for their promo materials...

by TripAdvisor Member OhioElky

I was planning a romantic trip for my husband and I, bay area locals, and picked sausalito over san francisco because I thought a nice, waterfront hotel would be more relaxing and secluded. My big question was whether to stay at inn above tides or casa madrona; after reading reviews on this website, I picked casa madrona. boy, was that a mistake!
I noticed some people had a terrible experience and decided to make sure that I requested a contemporary view room that was one of the larger ones. they told me it would have a large soaking tub, a fireplace, and a harbor view. well, it had the soaking tub, but no fireplace. the view,moreover, was of a parking lot. underneath our small balcony was the main drag of sausalito, with all the cars, noise, and hectic frenzy of a tourist main drag. I was told that all the contemporary rooms were like this.
My husband laughed that I was really taken by the ad on the web, since in it they show beautiful views of the water next to the contemporary room. well, those views are only from the drab, slightly neglected rooms in the old building. they still are across the street from the water, but if you look out far away, you can sort of pretend you're waterfront. we didn't take one of the older rooms because, as my husband pointed out, if everyone else sat out on their balconies we'd all be talking into each others' laps. plus, the bathrooms were 50s ish, the carpeting old and dirty, depressing, depressing, depressing. maybe if it were more of a bargain I could call it quaint, but for $200 you expect a little more.
what did we do? we pulled the curtains to block out the view of the parking lot from our contemporary room and tried to enjoy the tub. the room, aside from the lack of fireplace and dismal view, was nicely furnished, with a huge bathroom. But really, we could have been anywhere, and it might have been more fun to go the W hotel or the Nikko in San Franciso and have a great dinner (Poggio was so-so). We did walk by the Inn above Tides and, unlike the Casa Madrona, it's right on the water! The pictures sure looked nice in their brochure, and we wished we had stayed there (although the rooms on the left side of the hotel look out onto the ferry dock with the rumbling engine of the ferry-- I would ask for the right side facing the water). Still, you could actually drink your morning coffee while looking at the water, the city across the bay, the gulls, all while hearing the waves lap against the rocks.
I feel a little like I went to a beachfront hotel only to find I wasn't beachfront at all, but had to cross the street, walk through a public parking lot, etc. It's very nice, but more of an urban feel--not a romantic waterfront hideaway.

A big disappointment!

by TripAdvisor Member NonprofitMom

We stayed for one night last Saturday (3/19/05) at the Casa Madrona and were terribly disappointed in the property and the service.

Our room, a "Deluxe King" was tiny, and the carpet was horribly stained and dirty. When we got down an extra pillow, its plastic casing had some disgusting green sticky substance on it which we hastened to wash off our hands. The bathroom tub had a little bit of standing water and did not look clean. The hall was very dirty from tracked in leaves and such.

The kicker occurred when, at 3 AM, the french doors to the balcony blew open due to stormy weather. We closed them but the latch would not work, so they blew open repeatedly over the next hour. We finally lashed them closed with a belt - it was that or drag somebody up there and we were both very tired.

The next morning, when we talked to them about this they said, at the front desk, snootily, "There are directions for latching the doors in a panel on the door. You should have looked for them." We went back to the room and confirmed that *our* room, at least, had no such directions.

What a disappointment! I'd heard of this hotel for a long time but do NOT recommend it.

The Most Fabulous Room and Experience!

My sister and I had booked four nights at the ultra-noisy Hotel Acqua and decided after the first night to make our get-away. I called Casa Madrona and asked for a room with two beds that would be quiet and spacious. The most helpful Westin gave us Room 538, which was a dream room, and for only $20 more per night than the very disappointing Acqua. The room, in the new section, was exquisite! A four poster king size bed. A nice sofa bed. Lovely red chaise lounge and velvet chair with ottoman. 10 foot ceiling. Stone tile bathroom and shower. Very nice tub. Beautiful lighting fixtures. Wonderful yellow and cream decor. Tall windows that opened to a mesmerizing (garden court) fountain. It was luxurious to take naps there to the sound of the fountain in the afternoon. Westin was extremely accomodating, as were the other young gentlemen who worked there. We had an unforgettable time and this is my new hideaway in Sausalito.

A memorable stay!

by TripAdvisor Member jmpdws

We stayed at the Casa Madrona for our small private wedding and honeymoon, and everything was perfect! We arranged most everything in advance with the concierge, Nancy Dubois. There were a dozen beautiful red roses in the room upon our arrival. We can't say enough good things about the staff at CM. They treated us like royality. Nancy Dubois was wonderful, be sure to ask for her if you're planning to get married there. Ned was a great photographer, and the rest of the staff as well were all very accomodating. Nancy pre-arranged our limo and driver, Blake, was so good to take us to several scenic spots and even took pictures for us. We recommend the spa, the masseurs are fantastic and very professional. You will love it. Our room AND our friend's room were both upgraded. We stayed in one of the renovated suites in the old section that overlooked the harbor and bay. It had a very nice balcony with french doors off the bedroom. The views are lovely! I have such fond memories of my wedding day. Thanks for everything guys! We hope to return next year for our one year anniversary! Janet & Dale - Louisville, KY

An Updated Classic

by TripAdvisor Member Dodger-Don

Updated classic! Booked room was unavailable, they upgraded us to a suite! Wanted to stay in the new section for the luxrious bath facility and modern decor, but the view and roominess of the suite was just compensation. Access to San Francisco ferry was convienent and local street shopping was interesting.

Comments