30 El Portal, Sausalito, California, 94965, United States

• vaustin08's Profile Photo

Extraordinary Views, Excellent Amenities

We had already booked a hotel for our anniversary trip to the Bay Area when I happened upon the site for Inn Above Tide. Even though their online reservations showed no availability for the time of our trip, I sent an e-mail stating how much I wanted to stay on the water in Sausalito and their beautiful Inn looked like a dream location. The next day, I received a response that there was an opening for exactly the room we wanted with not just one balcony, but two. We were ecstatic that the staff at Inn Above Tide made our anniversary trip even more special. On arrival we were even more pleased when we found a chilled bottle of wine, a rose, and note for our anniversary.

I normally am not that excited about hotels since we tend to stay in select B&Bs and sometimes nice hotels. But this Inn was exquisite for our anniversary trip. The ambiance upon entering is that of a small, European boutique hotel with excellent, friendly front desk service. There is a parking fee of approximately $18 daily for parking in a lot across from the hotel. But our rental car was valeted quickly every day for our trek to Sonoma, Muir Woods and Monterey and Carmel.

There is a small but pleasant dining area on the main level with views of the bay where an expanded Continental breakfast including fresh fruit, quiche, pastries, boiled eggs, bagels, cerals, hot tea, coffee, juice, is available every morning if you choose not to have it delivered to your room. There is also a complimentary wine and cheese reception from 5 to 7 pm in the evening. There are spa services available and the concierge is readily available to arrange tickets to events and restaurant reservations.

The 29 rooms and suites are small and intimate, but fully packed with every amenity imaginable, including their wonderful McRoskey Airflex beds handmade in the Bay area, beautifully appointed baths with Bvlgari bath products, plush robes and slippers (the slippers you can take home with you), remote fireplaces and flat screen tvs with over 800 movies available to check out at the front desk, a safe and honor bar, turn down service with chocolates, fresh gardenia flower in the bathroom every day, not to mention the extraordinary views from the balcony of Bay, Angel Island and San Francisco.

Inn Above Tide is within walking distance of everything wonderful in Sausalito -- the ferry is just outside the front door, along with some wonderful restaurants, Angelinos for great Italian and Scomas for waterfront dining and seafood. Sausalito galleries and shopping or strolling along the marina of the Sausalito Yacht Club is still within a mile of Inn Above Tide.

Even though Inn Above Tide was more expensive lodging than we were planning for this trip, Inn Above Tide was worth every penny and will remain at the top of my list of favorite low key, but posh and comfortable Inns with subperb service, and the one of the few that I want to make return visits any time I am in the Bay Area.

Unique Quality: Views of San Franciso, Angel Island the the Bay Area are paramount. The surrounding Sausalito area is like a bucolic European sea-side village.

Directions: Sausalito

• San Francisco's Best Room with a View

We wanted to escape the Scottsdale heat and had heard from friends that this was a special place. They were right! While more spendy than we usually opt for...it was well worth it. From check until check out, everything was perfect. The rooms have every amenity imaginable including binoculars for your use. The baths have big tubs for two. There is a fireplace which we were tickled to be able to use one night in August! But it is the views and those decks we loved. We had brekfast and wine and cheese there. We read the paper on them. We watched the life on the bay go by. Basically we barely left the room except for dinner and a little mid day excursion around Sausalito. Staff is great. Loved the 7 choices of fresh fruit at breakfast.

Unique Quality: Stunning panoramic views...great decks...best continental breakfast ever...sexy though tiny lobby...super beds...nice people

Directions: Just off Bridgeway which is the main street and right next to the Ferry-right on the water of course

• jessicadf's Profile Photo

Right above the water

By all accounts, this is a wonderful hotel. Built within the last 10 years, this is a very popular spot with wowowow views.

Directions: Center of town

More about The Inn Above Tide

Spectacular Hotel with Service to Match

This hotel is truly spectacular. The rooms... the views... the service... the experiece... nothing less than superior. In all of our travels I don't believe we've ever stayed at a more memorable hotel. Don't miss the chance to stay at The Inn Above Tide... a real "cut above"!!

Outstanding!

by TripAdvisor Member amesboston

My boyfriend and I just spent a blissful week at The Inn Above Tide. What a gem!! Though small, our King Deluxe room was lovely and comfortable. We loved all the exras - the Hermes bath products, the plush robes, the fireplace, the DVD player. We had a top floor room and a balcony on the bay, affording us breathtaking views of the city and the bridge. We woke up before dawn every morning and watched the sunrise over the bay. Gorgeous!!! The hotel offers breakfast and evening wine/cheese as part of your room rate. I highly recommend carrying a tray of goodies back to your room to enjoy from the balcony! The staff at the hotel was wonderful - always warm, friendly and attentive. The location is perfect for those who want to explore San Francisco but prefer not stay in the middle of a boisterous city - a quick drive across the Golden Gate bridge gets you right into San Francisco, or you can catch the Ferry next to the hotel. Muir Woods is also very close (only about 10 miles). We had a fabulous stay, and I will definitely return to The Inn Above Tide next time I am in San Francisco!!

Loved the View-Loved the Inn

by TripAdvisor Member work2travel70

We enjoyed our stay.... Everything from the room, personnel, view, town.. Everything...

From now on if the trip is for pleasure to San Francisco we will for sure stay in Sausalito. It is such a treat for the senses to ferry back and forth and have the clean, safe quiet town to come back to. We found San Franciso at night to be full of crazy homeless people that didn't leave much to be desired. For a city experience we recommend NYC.

At the Inn Above Tide we had a king deluxe and the first room that was given to us was quite cave like and the room didn't jet out across the water like we had hoped. They were quick and very accomadating to give us another room that was of equal status but much better placement and view.. (First floor) The beds were amazing and the big square pillows the best. Thoughtful touches like binoculars and daily bottled water were appreciated.
We tried Sushi Ran (o.k.) and Lapperts Ice Cream (a must) in Sausalito. In San Francisco we could do all of our dining for the entire trip at the Ferry Building. Slanted Door and Taylors Refresher are among our top dining venues in the U.S. Granted both very different experiences.

We would easily recommend the Inn... We purchased our package at a great rate through Luxury Link..

The only place to stay in Sausalito

by TripAdvisor Member Hates_Flying

My husband and I stayed at Inn Above the Tide. My first choice was Casa Madrona, but I was so glad that I took a chance by staying at Inn Above the Tide. This hotel is right on the water with incredible views of San Francisco, beautiful modern rooms, and excellent service. Whenever I return to Sausalito in the future, I will definitely be revisiting this unique and beautiful hotel!

An exceptional place

We stayed in a Queen Deluxe room and look forward to our next visit. The view, furnishings, attention to detail, and general atmosphere were exceptional. While I questioned the high room prices initially the experience exceeded my expectations. I recommend staying in a Queen Deluxe room or better because the full balcony with chairs, etc, is very much worth the higher price. If you are like us and like to spend time outdoors, you'll spend most of your time hanging out here reading, drinking coffee, wine, talking, etc.
Get up early and you will find a slip of paper underneath your door with weather and sunrise/sunset timing. Because all of the rooms face east, you can watch the sunrise from your bed facing out toward the bay -- we ended up on the balcony both mornings wrapped in blankets with binoculars.

Absolutely Wonderful, we Love this place!

We have been coming here for years. We love the views, the rooms and the bed is like sleeping on air with the feathered pillows, and all the lucious bedding. The view is paradise. There is no other place in California that I can say has a lovelier bedroom view. We love being close to the best restaurants, galleries, and cafes. Everything is a jst a few steps away.

It's always a pleasure staying at Inn above the Tide. As always, the service is excellent, the room was impecable, the staff is wonderful. Tina, Lisa and even their newest staff agent Nicole are very friendly and catered to our every request.

We'll be seeing you again real soon, in the meantime..we plan on sending our loved ones there to experience this wonderful place called Inn above the Tide.

Yolanda and Cristina ;-)

Sausalito

by SIN+PAW

"Sausalito"

A huge contrast of a laid-back small town setting in Sausalito against a fast-paced San Francisco metropolitan.

"Sausalito"

"Marina"

"A Newlywed Couple"

"A Shop in Sausalito"

"The Inn Above Tide"

"Rocks"

An artist stacked these rocks without the use of any adhesive or fasterners.

The Inn Above TideThe Inn Above Tide