6001 LA MADRONA DRIVE, Scotts Valley, CA 95066

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hilton San Jose South/Scotts Valley

Nice Property

by TripAdvisor Member TrvlCrayZ

I have stayed at this property several times and always enoyed it.
NOT located in Santa Cruz about 15-20 away in the cute town of Scotts Valley. Nice location on a wooded hill side. Pool is small but nice (salt water and 24 hours)and large jacuzi. Locals know how to get into the pool area and the hot tub is often filled with teenager in the evening.
Rooms are spacious and well apointed, bathrooms are modern and very clean. Request 2nd floor or higher to get a balcony.

Good "Happy Hour" in the small bar area, with 1/2 priced appetizers.

Breakfast was tasty but a little overpriced.

Over all I really enjoyed our stay, but weekend rates can be very high

Very nice & great service

by TripAdvisor Member Spot_Dawg

Really friendly staff and smart managment. They understand the needs of a guest, helped a business traveler. Work out room was a nice find. Suites are cool. I liked staying towards the back of the house.

Great Weekend Getaway

by TripAdvisor Member kenrja

My wife and I booked a suite at the hotel for a weekend getaway and had a wonderful time. The property is well maintained and the staff is very friendly. We ate two meals in the hotel restaurant. Although small, the menu is top-notch and the quality of the food is excellent. The hotel is located next to a number of good attractions, but gives you the feeling you are out in the countryside.

The hotel is a great place for a romantic weekend getaway.

Seemd nestled further in the mountains....NICE

by TripAdvisor Member heidimello

I frequent the Hilton Family of hotels. This hotel was one of the better ones. The hotel is nestled in the side of the mountain right off of a main road and freeway but once at the hotel there were no signs of a busy road or freeway. The way the hotel was built into the mountain gave the feeling of being miles away from any roads or freeways. The staff was attentive and kind. I will definetly stay at this hotel again.

a lot of room for improvement

by TripAdvisor Member wwwench

We picked this Hilton because we were traveling with our dog and it was the only pet-friendly hotel available in Santa Cruz on our dates. Since I had not stayed in a Hilton in years and was not expecting much, I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this property was. Our third floor room on the back of the hotel faced the forest (and the parking lot) but it was quiet, well-decorated, and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable with good linens and pillows. Toiletries were Crabtree & Evelyn. Towels were fluffy and numerous. Staff members were courteous and friendly, though at times they seemed a bit overworked and overwhelmed. The free, plug-and-play Internet service ran like the wind (and was far superior to the much-more-expensive Palo Alto Westin, where we stayed later in the week). Breakfast was excellent. We especially liked the Smoked Salmon Burrito. Yum!

On the minus side, there was a distinct whiff of mildew (or swamp gas?) in the bathroom, which disappeared after the toilet was flushed. When the toilet wasn't flushed for awhile, the smell came back. When I turned on the TV, it blew out (!). Friendly technicians arrived within minutes to replace it with a new TV, but still. It would have been preferable to have a reliable TV at the get-go. Plus, the room was terribly overheated. When it was 40 degrees outside, the temperature in our room, when in the (allegedly) OFF position, was 80 degrees. In order to get the temperature down to a comfortable 68 degrees, we had to turn on the air conditioner. This makes me feel like an environmental criminal, which I hate. Note to Hilton management, if you are reading this: you would save a lot more energy by not overheating your hotel than by encouraging guests not to have their sheets changed daily (which annoys them).

More problems: We used the complimentary valet parking on check-in, which we thought was a nice touch--that is, until we tried to retrieve our car. After waiting a while, we saw the desk clerk (who was doubling as the valet parker) come trotting across the lot. She apologized and said she was unable to figure out how to get our car into reverse. (It's a new car, in perfect condition, and there is nothing tricky about the transmission--except, it's not an automatic.) After that, we steered clear of the "valets" and self-parked in the lot behind the hotel, which was actually more convenient. Perhaps the kitchen workers were also doing two jobs, because the food was very slow to arrive on both of the days we ate breakfast there, though the dining room was uncrowded. The bellmen also were AWOL (when we checked in, my husband had to go inside and get the luggage cart himself and was halfway through loading it before the bellman finally showed up). Maybe the bellman was doubling as the chef and putting the finishing touches on somebody's Smoke Salmon Burrito?

Worst of all, in my opinion, was the location of this hotel. I had no idea it was so far outside of Santa Cruz, on a busy highway that often gets very backed up with traffic. (Of course, I should have checked this out before booking, but since it was listed as being in Santa Cruz, I just assumed it would be in Santa Cruz. Silly me.) This would not have been so bad if there was either 24-hour room service, a dining room or a bar open from morning until midnight, or at least one good restaurant within walking distance, but it's no on all counts. When I arrived at the hotel at 2 in the afternoon, hungry for lunch, the dining room was closed. I thought I could grab a snack at the bar, but the bar does not open until 4 o'clock. There are no restaurants nearby--just fast food and vending machines. My options were: a) skip lunch or b) get back in my car and drive to Santa Cruz to a restaurant. I chose b, but was not happy about it. For that reason alone, I would probably not stay in this hotel again.

Finally, Hilton management, since you've chosen to be pet-friendly, why not be a bit pet-friendlier? I don't expect free Evian for my pooch (like at the Four Seasons), but dog bowls and a little rubber mat to put them on (like at the Westin) are a nice touch--and would protect your carpets, to boot. Dog biscuits at the front desk--and in the pockets of the valets and bellmen--are welcomed by doggies and endear you to their owners, too. Arf!

BTW the desk staff seemed confused about what your pet policies actually are. One person told me that we were not allowed to leave our dog in our room alone, because "she might bark". Excuse me, but what were we supposed to do with her while we were in the dining room, eating breakfast? Were we supposed to take her with us? (Last I heard, Santa Cruz was not France!) Or during business meetings? We were supposed to hang out in the hotel room with her 24/7 (which kind of defeats the point of, um, traveling). This policy makes no sense at all (if it is really your policy--I went to the Website for clarification and it just says "Pets Allowed").

Loved the quiet, casual atmosphere

by TripAdvisor Member kathie36

I enjoyed the nice property. My 4th floor room located on the same floor as the pool and workout room was quiet, well-decorated, and spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable with good linens and pillows. Staff members were courteous and friendly.

The restaurant does not come highly reccomended by the locals but I did find the bruschetta and coconut shrimp to be good. Appetizers were 4 dollars off between 5 and 7 and make a good dinner. Make note of the restaurant and bar times so your not hungry or thirsty.

It is located outside of Santa Cruz but if you don't mind driving it is peaceful and quiet. Scotts Valley does have a nice Grocery Store and Movie Theatre down the road.

Talk About Overpriced!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Ericruby

Traveling to Santa Cruz presents tough lodging choices. You can either stay by the beach in an overpriced flea bag or stay in a nicer way-overpriced hotel a few miles away. We chose the later and found the Scott's Valley Hilton to be rediculously expensive for what it is - a basic hotel with little ambiance, limited services, and located far from the action. The Santa Cruz area is screaming for quality lodging and hopefully some of the more enlightened hotel operators will notice.

We should have stayed at one of the nearby State Parks.

Repeat Customer

by TripAdvisor Member VisitorBob

Once again, I stayed at this establishment during a business trip to Santa Cruz. The hotel shared area and my room were clean and well-maintained. No complaints - but I did observe that reaching an upper floor room is an awkward route through two sets of elevators. Room service was quick - though my order was at 8pm.

Good Place for Traveling with Pets, but Overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member JimAtLaw

My wife & I stayed with our dog over the Christmas holiday. Our room was on the 4th floor, of I think 6, for which the easiest entrance is by directly driving up around the back of the hotel & entering by the pool. (It's on a hillside.) Not needing to use the elevators if you come in the back way, I will definitely ask for a 4th floor room again next time - very convenient.

They charge an extra $25/night for dogs, which will be charged on-site if you arrive with one (the reservation system has no accounting for pet charges), but I'll happily live with it because it's the nicest place in the area that'll accept pets at all.

The room was nice for Santa Cruz, which suffers from many older and run down hotels - it was large and clean, with white, new & fluffy sheets & towels. (It's no Jerusalem Hilton mind you, but definitely tolerable.) The water from the sink & shower is very soft.

They had free internet service, which was nice & fast, but did not have WiFi (only Ethernet at the desk - no computing from bed or couch or using WiFi-only PDAs), which was odd for a high end hotel in a technology center. Also, the small tube TV seemed out of place in a relatively new $200/night hotel.

We got chicken strips from room service which were not bad, but not the best I've had, and the fries were not the equal of fast food. It was an as-they-were-shutting-down 9:45 pm order though, and I've generally found a lot of room service food mediocre or worse, so I'm not sure I'd judge them too harshly for it just yet.

Finally, while otherwise nice, our room was hot even with the heater off at 40-50 degrees outside, and we had to repeatedly open the window to cool the room, which was not a big deal, but no doubt wasted a lot of energy & made it a little harder to sleep as the room warmed during the night.

Overall, it's a decent place to stay if very expensive for the area - perhaps too expensive vis-à-vis comparable or better local places if you're not traveling with pets, but it's a nicer hotel that will take pets near Santa Cruz, so we'll be back.

Comments