1441 Canyon Del Rey Blvd, Seaside, CA 93955
Expedia.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Embassy Suites Hotel' Monterey Bay-Seaside

Nice Hotel, Friendly Staff

Just returned from a night a here, and it saved a bad trip to this area. This is a nice, clean Hotel with real nice public areas. The staff here from the front desk staff, to the breakfast staff & the bartender at the evening reception were extremely friendly. Just a note - the Monterey area is not that great. Cannery Row & Fisherman's Wharf are nothing like the web sites - they consist of overpriced restaurants & t-shirt shops. 17 mile drive is worth time in this area - but that's about it. I would suggest Monterey as a day trip, and spend more time in San Francisco - I wish we did.

Nice place to stay near aquarium

Our family of 4 plus grandma found the Embassy Suites Seaside a convenient hotel near the Cannery Row/ Monterey Aquarium area. Being as we are never in a hotel long enough to really appreciate the view or most of the amenities, it didn't bother us that the Embassy is not exactly on the bay. Hotels in California seem to be a bit more expensive than we are used to in the midwest, and this was in line with those prices; we figured once you included getting the free breakfast, the price was pretty reasonable. Good TIP: Purchase your aquarium tickets in the lobby and you get to re-enter the aquarium the second day free for same price as the one day tickets purchased at the aquarium -=- and NO LINES TO WAIT IN!

Great place for a family to stay

by TripAdvisor Member Boopsy

This hotel was perfect for our family. It is a suite, we got if for $119 per night which included a full buffet breakfast, it is close to "everything" in the Monterey Bay area (if you have a car, which we did), the staff were very friendly and helpful, it is very clean and modern, etc.

Some travel advice if you have kids. We didn't even bother with Cannery Row since I read it's just a bunch of overpriced shops/restaurants. The Aquarium is pretty cool, but I wouldn't say it's a "must". (If you do go, get the 2-day pass from the hotel.) Instead, go and walk along the Fisherman's Wharf and look/listen for the sea lions. They are hilarious. You can't miss their barking sound. Then, park just north of the Aquarium and walk along the coast to Pacific Grove. First you'll see a bunch of seals at the Coast Guard station. Finally, go "tidepooling" which mean you go and walk amongst the rocks on the shore and look for crabs, fish, starfish, etc. Our whole family just had a blast doing this. The coast is breathtaking in Monterey Bay. Drive along it and pick a spot that appeals to you. We found that there was plenty of parking everywhere and the traffic wasn't too bad.

We are from the Midwest and flew into San Jose. Then went to Yellowstone for a few days, then here, then San Francisco for 1 1/2 days. It is a great trip for the whole family!!!!

a nice part of our trip

by TripAdvisor Member leoburk

One of the best E. Suites I have stayed at .......and the most expensive too. Fantasic atrium, great staff, decent pool, very good and modern rooms. Very updated hotel. There was a huge saturday night wedding here but the hotel handled it fine. It added to the action and the spanish musicians the wedding party had hired to play in the atrium in the afternoon was a nice bonus for our kids. We were late for breakfast one morning but the staff allowed us to go ahead and get a few plates which I thought was above and beyond.

Good location. I thought it was worth the almost 200 per night we paid. I cannot imagine anyone disappointed here.

Great place for families, and lots of good things... but poorly run hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TroyS29

We just completed our second stay at this property (the first was two years ago). The experiences were similar. Overall, a good choice if you're traveling with young children and/or don't mind being surrounded by other people's young children.

The Good:
- Hotel is conveniently located to all of the areas attractions (although not on the beach by any stretch).
- Rooms are nice and reasonably modern. Very clean.
- Free breakfast is a nice perk
- Nice to have the ability to close the bedroom door. Suites comfortably sleep family of four.
- Kids liked the indoor pool and live fish swimming in lobby 'rivers'

The Bad:
- Lines for breakfast were very long and it was very difficult to get a table without hovering for extended period of time. The evening snacks are a joke (a few potato chips) and lines for free drinks were always very long.
- Hotel seems under-staffed in all areas
- Swimming pool not well heated
- A bit over-priced for the area

The Ugly:
- Seemed like there was nobody really in charge at times. Worst example of this was a fire alarm that went off at 3am on our first night. We had to walk down 15 flights of steps (carrying a 2 year old) and then stand outside in our PJs in the freezing cold. Nobody seemed to know what was going on and there was zero communication with the masses of guests waiting outside. Eventually, people just began heading back up to their rooms (not knowing if it was a false alarm or not). No hotel staff displayed any level of authority, nor did they provide any guidance to the guests. It was truly scary. I would have expected an apology (or at least an explanation) when we checked out the next morning... but nobody said a word. Who runs this place!?
- Despite the fact that there were dozens of folks holding buffet trays and looking for a breakfast table in a very packed area, the hotel management didn't have to foresight to bring out a few more tables or open up the adjacent restaurant which had lots of empty tables. It was so annoying that I finally moved the sign blocking off the restaurant area and got a table for my family (others soon followed). Why didn't one of the geniuses who runs the hotel figure out to do that?

All that being said, we would probably stay here again if we visit Monterey. It is one of the more family-friendly places in town (we have a 3 and 1 year old).

Great hotel - close to Target too!

by TripAdvisor Member BrownEyeGirl

Our family of four just returned from a 2 night stay at the Embassy Suites (ES) over the holiday weekend. We wanted a central location so we could see the aquarium, Carmel and a few of the area missions so my son can begin his 4th grade mission assignment. We've stayed at ES in the past and enjoy the layout, free breakfast and evening receptions. This was our first stay at this particular ES and it met all of our expectations. We did have a problem the first evening with noise in the ventilation system (we were on the top - 12th floor) but were moved to a lower floor the following day. Staff were very very friendly, parking is free (I hate valet parking) and breakfast was great too. The breakfast buffet is busy and so is the evening reception but lines moved along very quickly. Never a complaint heard from my family or those around us. We enjoyed the evening music and the drinks while our children enjoyed their Shirley Temples and walking around the atrium area. The beautiful fountains and fish ponds were popular spots on the ground floor. ES is really the best as far as the layout goes. More hotels should have these open floor plans. Our kids could walk up to our room and we can see them from the bottom floor.

We forgot to pack swimsuits for the indoor pool (which was a hit - nice and warm too) so headed to Target, which was only a mile away, to pick some up for the kids. My 11 year old daughter and I LOVE Target so this discovery was as exciting as the Monterey Aquarium itself. This particular strip mall also had an Albertson's grocery store, Big 5, Petsmart, Circuit City and Ross in addition to some smaller stores (Payless Shoes, etc.).

Only real problem our family encountered was the fire alarm that went off at midnight. I had a hunch it was a false alarm (I've been reading about more and more of these here on this website) and, seconds later, ES staff apologized via an intercom to everyone for the false alarm. I think the ES apologized about every 5 minutes assuring us all was OK. Again, the open floor plan was awesome for a situation like this - we went out our door and could see others across from us, above and below, and see what was really going on.

ES is the only way to go as far as we're concerned. We would definately stay here again and make it a homebase for future trips within the area. I understand Hearst Castle is only two hours away.

Good place for business trip

by TripAdvisor Member octraveler11

Enjoyed a business trip here recently. Rooms were large and clean, bed was very comfy. Complimentary breakfast was delicious and convenient. Evening reception included complimentary cocktails that were very good. Staff was friendly. Minutes to Monterey and Carmel. Would stay here again.

Embassy Sweet

by TripAdvisor Member oleblue

I just got back from a stay at Embassy Suites Hotel Monterey Bay-Seaside. The hotel and rooms were beautifully decorated and clean. Pay Per View movies cost $12.99 each. The majority of staff seemed pleasant. One day we asked one staff member about local restaurants. The staff member did not have the time of day to answer our questions. She said we had to go ask the concierge. He was no ware to be found. She called him and he did not answerer. We finally asked a bellmen who was willing to talk. The only other complaint was the food in the breakfast buffet was cold.

Mixed Results

by TripAdvisor Member kurseni

We arrived, after a two-hour drive, at check-in time with a family of ten, including a three-year-old and one-year old twins, only to find that two of the three rooms we'd reserved were not ready, and a reception clerk who insisted that nothing could be done but for us to wait for an indefinite period of time. Only after my repeated insistence on speaking to the manager was the problem resolved, by finding upgraded rooms that were ready for occupancy. We appreciated the upgrades, but would have far preferred not having the stress of keeping the little ones occupied in the lobby by their tired parents, and the unpleasantness of having to insist on being reasonably accommodated rather than having it offered to us. On our last day we asked for, and were readily given (we thought) a one-hour extension for check-out, only to find that two of our room keys were deactivated at the regular check-out time. On the other hand, we did find our rooms spacious, pleasant and comfortable, the breakfasts delicious and plentiful, and most of the staff very friendly and helpful. The lobby and breakfast area were attractive and relaxing. We had planned to spend some time at the pool, but found the pool area too cold to do anything but swim and immediately leave. This is a very nice, well-located property, but their procedures leave a lot to be desired.

Family friendly but don't expect great service

My wife, 2 year old daughter and I stayed at this hotel for 4 days at the end of June and beginning of July. As many of the previous reviewers have stated, the rooms at this hotel are very accomodating to families. If you're expecting world class service or any service really, look elsewhere. However, if you're looking for a clean, spacious place for a family vacation, I would recommend this place.

Pros
1. Rooms have a nice size refrigerator and microwave oven so when you tire of eating out, you can easily prepare a meal for your kids and yourselves.

2. Rooms are clean and spacious. The living area separate from the bedroom is key for parents with small children.

3. The breakfast and snack hours that were included with the room were nice to have. Just being able to wake up, throw on some shorts and a T-shirt and go to breakfast definitely saved on time as most eating establishments in the area were at least 3 miles away.

4. Location is within easy driving distance to the sights of Monterey and Carmel but far enough away to avoid all the throng of tourists walking by your room at all hours.

Cons

1. The walls were paper thin and we heard all kinds of noises from the pipes and other lodgers.

2. The pool was FREEZING cold. While it was indoors, it definitely was NOT heated. My daughter's teeth chattered every time she got out of the pool for only a second.

3. The price I paid was a little high ($260/night for a corner room) but given that it includes breakfast and nightly receptions and parking, I guess you have to take the good with the bad.

Comments