2757 Shell Beach Rd, Pismo Beach, California, 93449, United States

The Cliffs Resort
Expedia.com Travelocity Booking.com

• dila's Profile Photo

nice area the cliffs at shell beach

We were on the road for a long time and visite some places on the way to this hotel.
    so when we arrived we were a bit tired.
    the hotel was very beautifull. but the staff was a different story.
    maybe we were not dressed for there standards. they were not friendly.
    the room was nice but when i opened the balcony it was very dirty with icecream and the view was on garbage or old stuff from the hotel.
    the television was not working.
    the only person who was friendly was the mecanic for the television and he had a double shift.
    finally they gave us another room because the television was not working.
    maybe they most of the staff had a bad day i dont know.
    later when we were on the beach we saw some dolphins and a otter.
    we were here only for one night.

Unique Quality: beautiful hotel on a beach

Directions: just north of Pismo Beach.
    highway 101

More about The Cliffs at Shell Beach

Great Romantic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lrgayles

Great Hotel tucked away in Pismo Beach and easily accessible. It's an oceanfront property with a spetacular view of the Pacific Ocean. in my opinion, it's the best upscale hotel in the area as far as food, amenities, and services. For these reasons, I've rated the hotel as Excellent! Also their Sunday Brunch is a must. I'm very particular about hotels and I highly recommend the Cliffs Resort.

What a find this hotel is!

I stayed twice recently at the Cliffs Resort and we really had a good time. What a find this hotel is. I can still remember fondly my room service meals - especially the pepper steak, scalloped potatoes and great veggies. I like that we could order not strictly off the menu, that the kitchen was flexible. Our room was beautiful, I'll request the coastal view again next time. I appreciate the warm pool and Jacuzzi that was warm but still amenable to my kids. The bar staff is great - that local spirit is so cool about the Central Coast.
Even the valet staff was non-competitive with each other, not looking for tips but offering great service. Made me want to use the services and tip everybody from bellman to valet.
We stay at a lot of upscale hotels and I can tell you, they are doing a
great job there.
We'll be back!

OK - not a resort, not worth the $$ (unless you get a deal!)

by TripAdvisor Member sfmiche

My husband, two small children (27 mos, 2.5 mos) and I stayed at the Cliffs Resort from Aug 1-5. We took advantage of a deal they were offering - stay 3 nights, and the 4th is free (breakfast included). We are glad we did this, because otherwise, we felt that the hotel is not worth what they charge normally.

Check-in was a somewhat unpleasant experience. We were not given any information about breakfast (had to ask), pool hours, happy hour, etc.

The rooms are fine. The bedspread we had was hideous - but they are not all like that. Plus, you can't let that make or break your rating of a hotel, right? We were located on the ground floor, next to the pathway to the beach with a partial ocean view. This was great for our toddler - she had some extra play space, and enjoyed saying hi to all the dogs that passed by (the pathway is public, so on a nice day, there was a lot of traffic. didn't bother us, though).

Our patio area had a dirty table and one dirty chair. We dragged the rooms chairs out at night to have our wine. We never did ask for another patio chair...

The restaurant could use some work. The waitstaff are all very friendly, but there were a few mornings where it felt completely chaotic in there. Most people were having the buffet breakfast, and the waitstaff seemed to be getting a lot of beverages. Why they were running, and why they would forget to bring us an extra glass or straw...we're not sure. Our free breakfast was for the buffet, which was ok. (The buffet at a Marriott Courtyard we stayed at in LA was much better.) There is an omelet station, and the same guy will also make little waffles. The buffet could use some variety. I saw the same thing offered 4 mornings in a row: sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, home fries, oatmeal. What about some pancakes? French toast? Biscuits? The OJ is fab! Freshly squeezed, I believe. I have to give the same thumbs up for the deliciously strong coffee.

We ate dinner at the restaurant twice. The menu is ok - coming from San Francisco, we are admittedly spoiled. I was surprised that they only offered two fish dishes (or 3 if you included the special) for someplace on the ocean. And it didn't specify that the salmon was wild...so I'm guessing it wasn't. Kind of a shame for what they charge and the fact that they can get wild salmon here. We had the ahi tuna two nights in a row - the first night it was overcooked, the second night it was better. The wine list is local, which was fun.

The pool was great. Very warm - warm enough to enjoy in the cold fog ;) (the area is foggy until mid-day, when the sun finally breaks through. just fyi!). The pool staff were very attentive and friendly.

Happy hour is fun! The taco bar is a neat touch, and the drinks are strong for those happy hour prices! Sitting on the nice deck looking at the ocean was the perfect thing to do at 4 PM. Even with kids ;)

General points:
The front desk is young and unpolished, but friendly enough.
The restaurant tries, but could be better.
The rooms are fine, but nothing really special (not worth more than $180/night, in our opinion)
The pool is great.
The beach is fun for kids - tidepools are at either end.

Would we stay here again? Only if they were offering the same deal. We ended up paying $141/night including breakfast. For that, it was worth it. Knowing what we know about the staff and restaurant, we wouldn't expect more, and it would be fine. This is not a resort. It would be on about the same level as a Marriot Hotel if not for the staff.

This is NOT a "resort"

by TripAdvisor Member pasadena_mouse

My spouse and I stayed here 12/29/04 through 1/1/05. This was absolutely the worst "resort" I've ever stayed in. The trouble started when we arrived and the very unprofessional gentleman behind the desk had no record of our reservation and no clue as to what to do about it. After fumbling around for half an hour, he finally tracked down a manager who explained in an extremely unapologetic, flippant manner that their internet reservation system doesn't always work properly (even though I had received a confirmation email, which I fortunately had brought along a printed copy of). After another half hour of fumbling around, the manager very grudgingly found a room for us, which wasn't the type of room I had originally reserved, but since we were staying over New Year's eve, we didn't want to take a chance on finding another place to stay. The "ocean view" rooms mostly face the pool area, which is very close and, as a result, very noisy nearly 24 hours a day. The restaurant/bar on the premises is staffed by an unprofessional, disorganized group of people and the food is even worse than the service; the only positive comment I can make is that the outdoor patio is a nice spot for viewing an ocean sunset. The "spa services" are a complete sham and the spa facilities are virtually nonexistent. To make a very long story short, I recommend not wasting your money on this place. It's nothing more than a poorly renovated 1950's roadside motel attempting to masquerade as a "resort".

You have to try the happy hour!

by TripAdvisor Member SLOJen

They have an awesome happy hour here. It's a favorite among the locals--I know this because I am one! The drinks are very reasonable (try the tall Margarita on the rocks--only $3.50!)and when you consider the gorgeous view, you wonder why they don't charge more. They also have a build-your-own taco/nacho bar for those days when you aren't counting calories, and fresh veggies with salsa or dip, for those days when you are. It's all included in the price of one drink. Try and get there early so you can snag a spot on the patio and catch the sunset, otherwise the inside of the bar is very average and unexciting. I've lived within miles of the beach for all of my 26 years, and the ocean/sunset views at The Cliffs always take my breath away. The rooms are quite nice if you know which one to get and are willing to pay the price. Anyone who lives away from the beach should splurge and get an ocean-view room. Otherwise, stay somewhere else and just check out the happy hour.

Perfect Hotel for Pismo

Nice hotel in a very chill part of the Central Coast. All of the rooms appear to have been recently updated, although some of the common areas seem to still be waiting for their updates. Stunning views, no 101 noise, and a short walk to a nearly private beach make this a great place to stay in Pismo. Had a good dinner in the restaurant as well. If you're expecting the Four Seasons, forget it, but if you want the nicest hotel in a great little town this is it. Some great, affordable golf can be had just up the road as well.

OK....not worth the money

Beautiful views of the coast, but the unaccomodating staff and rowdy guests made the stay anything but relaxing. Check-in and check-out was the most unfriendly experience I've ever had at a resort. The pool was overcrowded (obnoxious drunk men scared everyone off) and loud guests partied by it until nearly 2am.....and we heard every bit of it. When I mentioned the noise problem to the desk, nothing was done to remedy the situation. I didn't find the place worthy of over $200 a night. I don't recommend staying there.

Definately NOT worth the money.

they doubled the rates for WOW week at SLO.
NOT a $329 room. No robes, no chocolate on your pillow....
said they'd charge an additional $50 if we left early (never heard of such a thing). the rooms are, at the most $150 rooms. Bathroom was poorly laid out, small shower and tub. The only thing of value at this hotel is the pool, hot tub and view from there. Otherwise a total rip off.

california 2003

by dila

"california"

on 24th of may my husband José (el_holandes) and i went to California. We started our trip in San Francisco and stayed for four nights in the Powell hotel near Powell and Market street.
on the 28th of may we pick up the car and left for Yosemite national park where we stayed in the Cedar lodge at El Portal for three nights.
we left El Portal on the 31th of may to go to best western Holiday Lodge at three rivers for the Sequoia national park where we stayed one night from here we went to Las Vegas (Nevada), Utah and Arizona from Tucson we drove on the 14th of june to San Diego for the Handlery hotel where we stayed three nights on the 17th of june we drove to best western Marina Pacific in Venice for two nights.
the 19th of june we went to the cliffs resort in Pismo Beach for one night.
from here we drove on the 20th of june to the Casa Munras Garden in Monterey where we stayed two nights.
on the 22th of june we drove to the Powell Hotel in San Francisco again for one night. on the 23th of june we had the flight back to Amsterdam at 16.00 (01.00 dutch time) we arrived at 11.08 dutch time on Schiphol airport.
picture from san francisco to yosemite n.p.

"visitor buro"

on the way to yosemite national park we went to this visitor agency. the man was very helpfull and told us to go to the columbia state park.
this buro was on the highway 120 (and i think on the 108) near the chinese camp.

"hume lake"

in the sequoia park we saw we almost had no gasoline. we had to go out of the park and saw a sign to hume lake. i think this is a kind of campground. the area was very peacefull and a great view.
the gasoline was very expensive.

Comments