Hadsten House Solvang

1450 Mission Drive, (formerly Vagabond Inn Solvang), Solvang, California, 93436, United States

Hadsten House
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Jeff42's Profile Photo

Bargain price for the budget minded

I found a cheap rate for this hotel at $70 night online, on their website. The location is great, just outside the village and there is a market next door. We were allowed to check in at 11am on a Saturday. We took a short walk through the village and returned around 1pm. When we returned, the hotel had been taken over by about 300 soccer kids and their parents. I guess the low rates attracted a tournament of teams to stay there.

The rooms are nicely decorated and the hotel is a real value. I would stay here again.

Unique Quality: Great location, short walk to the village of Solvang itself. A merket is right next door if you need anything.

More about Hadsten House Solvang

Beautiful new rooms

by TripAdvisor Member litt725

The Hadsten House is in the process of remodeling the whole place. The rooms that are finished are beautifully re-done, with awesome tvs & fireplaces. It's located within walking distance of the village. The construction is a little annoying, but once it's completed which should be soon, it will be awesome. I would definetly stay again even with the construction going on. Can't wait to go back.

Very Impressed

by TripAdvisor Member CBGirlCalifornia

Hadsten House, although on the tail end of some renovations, was a extremely pleasant stay. The renovations at this time did not infringe negatively on the overall stay. I do a lot of business travel and by comparison, the rooms are simply beautiful, wonderfully decorated with beautiful colors, fabulous bedding/linens and very comfortable beds. The room design is unique, complete with plasma TV, huge armoir, free wireless internet, lovely furnishings, L'Occitane bath products, and plush towels. This is truly an oasis in the middle of Solvang, and although right on the main street, traffic noise was never a problem. It is very convenient, walking distance to down town. The staff, while some were young and inexperienced, were very pleasant and helpful. Upon full renovations this will be a first class location nestled in the heart of Solvang.

Overpriced and hotel website is deceiving

by TripAdvisor Member Brinie66

Unfortunately, I must agree with the last few posts. We just stayed at the Hadsten House on Friday, October 26th and although the rooms are nicely appointed, the motel is by no means worth $250.00 a night ( and that is with a AAA discount!). Like the previous posts, I booked this room in early September with the belief (because it said so on the web site) that the construction would be complete and the amenties would be available. Over half of the rooms are still not finished. Most of the parking lot is still in shambles with construction vehicles and port-a-potties taking up most of the parking spaces. When we arrived and walked into the entrance to get our keys we were shocked at the appearance. The entrance and lobby is still under construction, all that was there was a desk. In addition, the front desk lost our reservation and had I not printed the reservation they wouldn't have even known what rate to charge me. They said they lost a lot of reservations and forget to back up their computer system. We should have not showed them the paper printout, b/c this motel is not worth $250.00. In addition, as said in the previous posts there is no wine tasting, no spa, no pool! We were given 2 tickets for Olsen's bakery across the street. This was supposed to be for their breakfast, but when we walked over we were given the choice of 2 pastries and orange juice...that was it! We booked this place on the belief that this was a luxury accomodation. Although the rooms are nice, and they have flat tv's, fake fireplaces and l'occitane products it by no means is a fancy place to stay. It is basically a redecorated motel. Changing the bedspread and putting in a flat screen TV does not make a luxury otel. We suggest that the Hadsten House not be so deceving in their web site. Surely they knew in September when we booked the room that the construction would not be complete by mid-October. Overall, this room was worth about $130.00. We feel like we were cheated out of at least $120.00. Until this hotel is fully complete and can earn rave reviews and have the promised amenties, we suggest you stay away and stay elsewhere in Solvang.

Charming destination

by TripAdvisor Member fox7

The Hadsten House in Solvang, California is in a great location in a charming village. You can leave your car at the facility and enjoy walking through the European setting with dozens of shops and restaurants. This newly refurbished hotel has managed to build in all of the modern conveniences but maintain a European atmosphere. The grounds include a vineyard, an enclosed swimming pool, and a huge outside spa with fireplaces and walls to increase it's privacy and comfort. I checked in late but the staff was friendly and the beautifully decorated room was a pleasure to walk into. There was a hint of light coming through the plantation blinds which made me feel welcome as if I had reached home. The decor was beautifully arranged and the bed, with its numerous pillows and comforters was a welcome sight. The room was not crowded and a large LCD screen TV was well placed for convienent viewing. After viewing the guest services and area attractions I was anxious to get to sleep and venture out in the morning to explore the quaint village. This establishment is an asset to the community and Central Coast wine country.

Be Careful . . .

by TripAdvisor Member OccasionalTraveler01

We had a disappointing stay. Upon our arrival we were met with all the construction going on. I know the reviews advised of such, but even the staff complained of the length and problems they had had with the crew. They had a two queen-sized bed room on Saturday night and a king-sized bed room for our second night. I had asked if they could make accomadations for a king-sized bed for both nights if there was a cancellation. Of course, there wasn't though the sign outside always read vacancy. Upon entering the room, no wireless internet. Soon after, an ethernet line was brought up. The fireplace produced little heat and they assured me it was mainly for aesthetic purposes. When they moved us to the room with the king-sized bed the following day, we had to turn off the "aesthetic" fireplace because it got too hot! It only had a toggle on/off switch. Again, no wireless internet. We called the office and they said they would call us back after they would call the manager at home. They said he was not home and the problem was never addressed. Then I went to the restroom, pulled my pants up and wondered why the bottom was soaked. A nice leak around the base of the bowl explained it. They took care of the problem by bringing us towels to place around the bowl. Next to the last straw was Monday morning. We were awakened at 8AM by the hammering and circular saws running. This went on until 10AM and then no noise from 10AM to check-out at noon. Also, noticed some small stains on the sheets. Some type of black, oily substance. We cleaned up the room (my wife also cleaned up the towels around the toilet bowl) and, you guessed it, another soaking of my shorts from the leak at the base of the toilet bowl. A lot of these issues should be taken care of with the completed construction, but to pay full price for this kind of stay was ridiculous. Though I feel whenever you open any portion of a "completed" construction zone, it should be complete and trouble free.

During the trip I found out that a nice Inn down the road had what they called "a manager's suite" complete with full kitchen, separate living room for less than I paid for Saturday night. Another nice Inn had complete cottages for about $20 less.

Beautiful, modern rooms and turn down service!

by TripAdvisor Member LosAngelesNYC

We were a little apprehensive when we pulled up due to the construction taking place, but once we received the key to our room and opened the door we were shocked!

The rooms are beautiful, newly renovated, modern. L'Occitane products, flat screen TV, comfortable bed along with a great, comfy room design and modern bathroom. I wanted to skip the wine tasting and just have a day to rest in this fabulous room!

After dinner, we came home to turn down service (so impressed) and all of the employees were extremely friendly. We got a great, introductory rate too.

There was a little noise in the morning, around 9am, due to the construction and housekeeping, but it really wasn't that bad.

This hotel is a class act and they even mailed a personalized thank you card that I just received today at home! It's those little things
that will keep me coming back again and again. I already have another
weekend booked with them next Spring!

Nice rooms

by TripAdvisor Member DHR1955

Stayed October 12-14. Rooms average in size but newly redone and very nicely appointed. Pool, restaurant and wine tasting areas of main building still not complete. Continental breakfast a one block walk away. Nice folks and a convenient location at the edge of the downtown Solvang district. Price a little on the high side considering the current state of the facilities.

Manage Expectations

by TripAdvisor Member online_identity

Really, this hotel just needs to properly set expectations. Their website says, fireplace in every room. In reality, there's a red lightbulb, a fan and some celophane behind some glass to create a fireplace-ish effect a-la The Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disneyland.

Their staff told us that their remodeling was about a week away from being done. When we got there it was clear that they were at least a month away from finishing. There was no parking because every spot was filled by a contractors truck or blocked by a some sorth of heavy equipment or delivery van.

In the end, the hotel is still just a motel with nice rooms. I don't think a remodeled motel, no matter how nice the rooms are could ever be more than 3 out of 5.

Not recommended

by TripAdvisor Member neptunes_queen

Very disappointed. While the interior decor is quite nice, room size
is small and bathroom claustraphobic. Construction continues and all rooms have views of the parking lot. Rooms with 'patios' are ground level rooms with chairs next to the parking lot. The pool, spa and wine tasting advertised are not yet in operation and for pool use, we were told we could walk across the street to the Holiday Inn. Breakfast is also across the street. All fine given they are trying to modernize but we were aware of very little of this when we booked
and even more disappointing knowing that we are paying more than is now list on their website. Definitely wouldn't come back even after construction is finished.

Comments