2.5 out of 5 stars2.5 Stars

1564 Copenhagen Dr., (formerly the Chimney Sweep Inn), Solvang, California, 93463, United States

Wine Valley Inn & Cottages
Official Site Booking.com Expedia.com

• slap in the face

I have stayed here a few times and always thought it was a great deal for Solvang. I had recommended it and I had hoped for the day when i could stay in one of the deluxe cottages that comes with a hot tub and a fireplace. Months ago I booked one so i could entertain a few friends and just TWO days before the trip i received a call saying there had been a fire in the cottages, all 6 of them, and would i reschedule for another weekend? Obviously i couldn't since i had organized a group of people, there were no other rooms with hot tub and fireplace and suitable beds, there was no apology, not even an offered discount for the inconvenience. not a penny, not even for another day. The whole town was booked for a festival, and i finally found another place to stay in town. I walked by the wine valley inn to confirm that weekend, and sure enough i saw MULTIPLE cottages alive and with happy people staying in them. All except me of course.

I walked to the front desk to ask what the deal was, embarrassed that i had to stuff all my friends into a small, expensive hotel room with no amenities, and the women said they had allowed a few people to stay in them after all and she was sure that they were offering all the inconvenienced guests a discount for another day. i dropped my car and she assured me someone would contact me with that offer. never got that call.

what a disappointment. this is not how you treat guests.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

SOPHISTICATED CHARM

How do you describe an area of charming cottages, koi ponds, walking bridges, blooming flower beds, and a sophisticated air of refinement? In Solvang, there is only one answer, the Wine Valley Inn & Cottages.

Arriving at the Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, you see before you the charming architecture of Solvang, a Danish community that emulates the look of its roots, Denmark. You begin to get this warm, friendly feel at the front desk as you are welcomed to the hotel. The Wine Valley Inn & Cottages have several lodging options for your stay. There are the Chateau Standard rooms for the budget minded that have clean crisp lines and a wonderful bed. My wife and I stayed in one of these rooms and for the price, the value was there. The Chateau Loft Suites with the unique upstairs bedroom and living room downstairs is a good choice. The Village Clock Tower fireplace deluxe rooms are for the romantically inclined.

Then there is the Cottage Suite, six of them to be exact. When we last stayed at the Wine Valley Inn & Cottages, we wanted to come back and experience the Cottage Suite. We did and must admit that it was a wonderful stay that made you want to remain in the Cottage and not visit the quaint village of Solvang with all its charm. Whichever accommodation you choose, the Wine Valley Inn & Cottage staff, along with the General Manager, Sandra Hallmann, will do everything to make your stay a memorable one.

Unique Quality: "I would love to return someday", was my wife's remarks when I asked her if she enjoyed the Cottage Suite. This was truly full value for the price. More expensive than the Standard Chateau Room but for that "I want the best room available" desire, it cannot be matched.

Cottage Suite, number 2 of 6, had it's own private patio and spa. Wood burning fireplace in the living room, a dining area and kitchen combination, and a full bath are downstairs. Upstairs, it like walking to heaven. High wood beamed ceilings, large french windows surround the room, a half bath, and an outside patio that looks down on your private garden and spa. What more can I say except to echo my wife's sentiments, "I would love to return someday."

Directions: In downtown Solvang, State Highway 246 becomes Mission Drive. Turn south onto Fifth Street, then turn left on Copenhagen Drive. The Wine Valley Inn is on your right at 1564 Copenhagen Drive, right in the center of town.

• cheydakiss's Profile Photo

quiet,and off the beaten path

While this hotel,is right in the middle of all the hub of the city,it somehow,remains a quiet refuge.This 3 story offers nice appointed room at a reasonable price.

Unique Quality: Nice views from the externall rooms.Internal rooms,you get glimpses of areas to see,but after walking all day,that is ok.you might need the rest for the next day.

More about Wine Valley Inn

Cottages -- secluded, quiet and comfortable

We spent our first winter get away (from Iowa) at the Wine Valley Inn and were more than pleased with the accommodations and service. We had an opportunity to get acquainted with the staff who were always helpful. We so enjoyed the weekly wine-tasting events as well; it was a great time to visit with people of all ages and all walks of life. We stayed in the cottages and had the pleasure of walking through an idyllic setting of flowers and nicely landscaped grounds, on our way to and fro. The inn provided all the necessities for making us feel at home. We were thrilled with having the fireplace and the outdoor jacuzzi for our use. Solvang is convenient for taking day trips to Lompoc, Santa Maria, the Hearst Castle, and the list goes on and on. It was a memorable couple months and we plan to return.

Great Place to Stay

Great place to stay. Great location. We had a room that was a step up from the basic room. I think these must be nicer but do cost a bit more. Everything seemed to be new/redone in our room. It had a fireplace which was nice. Comfortable bed. Nice bathroom, room had no view. Great location for walking around the village. Easy parking. Downfall would be that the sound insulation is very poor. We were sleeping and heard people above us arrive home about midnight. Heard everything they were talking about and a bit more. We were there on a Fri night. In the meeting room, Royal Oak vineyard was there and provided unlimited wine tasting and cheese/crackers. Met some nice people. In the am, they have a continental breakfast which was very nice. Other than the sound problem, we would definately return to the Wine Valley Inn.

Happy with the Upgrade

by TripAdvisor Member MplsMommy

We decided to stay in the Buellton/Solvang area because it was a convenient stopping point for our trip up the coast with our 3-year old; we selected the Wine Valley Inn because we got a good deal when we booked via the Hotel's website.
We had reserved a "two-level loft", but when we checked-in, we were told that the room was being painted, so we were given a free upgrade to one of the cottages. We never got to see what our $75/night special would have bought us originally, but we were pretty happy with what our money got us in the end.
The cottage’s separate bedroom with the king-size bed was huge, as was the living/dining room area – there was plenty of room for the three of us to stretch out even when one of the sofa beds was open. Our cottage was handicap accessible, so the bathroom with its walk-in shower was also massive. (It looked like the bathroom may have recently remodeled.)
Since the cottages are in separate buildings, we did not have to worry about noise from other visitors, as some other reviewers have commented on.
The little garden area in between the cottages is very sweet, though if other families with small children choose this hotel, they will want to keep a close eye on their little-ones – our daughter absolutely loved the koi ponds, but she got precariously close to the edge several times as she leaned over to see the fish.
The continental breakfast had a lot of variety – bagels, Danish (from one of the local bakeries), yogurt, granola, apples, oranges, hard-boiled eggs, juice, and milk – so each of us was able to find something we liked.
The only downside to the cottage that we found during our one-night stay was that the living/dining room smelled like a damp fire pit. The fireplace in the cottage has obviously been used frequently, and could probably stand to be cleaned and scrubbed out really well. Perhaps during the summer months when the windows are open, the odor isn’t as strong, but on the day we were there, it smelled just like our family’s cabin in the North Woods. (This isn’t necessarily bad, but if we had planned to stay for more than one night, or if we had paid full-price for the cottage, it may have been an issue.)
Our interaction with the staff was limited to check-in and check-out. All of the individuals we dealt with were friendly, though they seemed to be a bit inept when it came time to check-out. It took several attempts to get the right room information. Had I not reviewed the print out and pointed out that the name and room number on the bill were not mine, I may have wound up having my credit card charged with another visitor’s (higher) bill.
Overall though, we had a good experience with the hotel and would consider it staying again if we are in the area.

Huge room!

by TripAdvisor Member SelectItalySeth

we stayed in a king room on the second floor right under the clocktower for a managers special price of around 119/ night. room was massive! big living room / dining area, big bathroom with big tub (no bubbles), bedroom a couple of steps down with a big king bed, (a little springy). Breakfast was excellent, who knew that denmark made good danish. Location is right on the edge of the tourist strip, but very quiet. Highly recommend.

Not really dog lovers so much as dog gestapos

by TripAdvisor Member generic230

We got what they call a "deluxe" room, which was on the ground floor right in the parking lot. The walls were really thin. We heard the baby crying next door, and even normal level conversation. Checking out was a 45 minute nightmare as they kept trying to CHARGE me 80 dollars instead of CREDIT me. And they kept insisting I owed them 80 more dollars. I finally had to add all the numbers by hand, MANY TIMES, before they could accept this.

At the end, a housekeeper did a perfunctory check of our room and said it was "covered with dog hair." That would have been impossible as they both weigh ten pounds and one dog does not shed. I went back to inspect the room with the desk clerk, and she saw that there was NO HAIR ANYWHERE, except on the sheets. She charged me $20 because, "We'll have to clean that." No ----. You mean, if there IS NO HAIR, you DON'T wash the sheets?

DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU HAVE DOGS. They allow dogs, but I would not consider them dog friendly, as they really just view them as unwanted guests. I also don't understand how a "deluxe" room can literally open onto the parking lot.

The ground floor rooms are all poorly insulated against sound, and 101 in particular is THE WORST.

A much nicer place to stay is the Royal Scandinavian Inn. They're nice. They like guests.

TILE ART IN COTTAGE #2 AT WINE VALLEY INN

by travelgourmet

"TILE ART DISPLAYED IN COTTAGE #2"

I wanted to share the art work I found that was part of the tiles in the main bathroom on the counter and bath walls. These were hand painted tiles done in 1981, depicting a story that most of us are familiar with today.

WINE VALLEY INN COTTAGE #2WINE VALLEY INN COTTAGE #2