29 E. MacArthur St., Sonoma, California, 95476, United States

MacArthur Place - Sonoma's Historic Inn & Spa
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Official Site

• Outstanding Wine Country Spa Resort

This was one of the nicest places I have ever stayed. It is certainly expensive, but worth it for a luxury vacation. The compound consists of the main house you will see on their webpage, but it is likely (and preferable, I think), that you will stay in one of the cottages behind the main house, which surround a dense, mazelike, sculpture/flower garden. In the center of all this is the pool and the spa.

There are four rooms in each cottage (request ground floor if you don't want to lug your luggage up stairs) that are very private, yet still have windows on three sides of the room. This may sound unimportant, but the fresh air and views of the grounds from these windows make the whole experience much more pleasant that a generic elevated city view like you would get in an urban hotel. The beds are heavenly and each room has a big flat screen TV. A friend of mine commented that this was the kind of place you see in luxury travel magazines.

The bathrooms are stocked with toiletries from the spa that are infused with 'local' grapeseed oil. They are delicious, but you only get one set per stay - I had to steal some off the housekeeping cart to take home with me! The towels are sumptuous as well, as thick as a carpet and soft as ever. I stole some of them too...

Great restaurant, expesive, but the continental breakfast is free and delicious. Much of the staff is imported from Tibet- they are kind and fastidious; treat them well.

More about Macarthur Place

A wonderful place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member LJT

We had three couples and all of us had great suites at MacArthur Place. Room 10 in the main house was the nicest with a hugh balcony. This places is much better than Fairmount Mission Inn. The premium suites were nicely decorated and very roomy.

The breakfast could of been a little bit better with their eggs, but they definately tried. Had dinner at Saddles and their steaks were great.

Great location to Southern Sonoma, Caneros and Glenn Ellen - Kenwood area.

Would definately go back.

A Perfect Anniversary Surprise

I surprised my wife with a two-night stay at MacArthur Place for our 10th anniversary in June. We were in San Francisco and I told her we were taking a drive to visit Sonoma wineries (Sonoma is about 45 minutes from San Francisco - and a beautiful drive through vineyards and rolling pasture with horses and cows.) We pulled into MacArthur Place which is a few blocks off the Sonoma Plaza and I told her we would be staying here for a few nights. The staff is really great - they had champagne waiting in the room (at no charge!) and they were so helpful and friendly during our stay. We had a "Premium Suite" which was very romantic and beautifully furnished. I don't like "cutesy country" and it was very tasteful. We had a fireplace and a 2-person jetted tub that has shutters that open to the room and fireplace with a great grape seed "bath tea." The gardens are truly amazing and we also loved the pool - it really feels like staying in someone's grand estate. We had a couple's massage at the spa and had dinner one night in Saddles and both were excellent. The staff suggested the "girl and the fig" for our anniversary dinner and it was perfect. We plan on now making MacArthur Place an annual tradition!

Most relaxing!

My husband and I stayed at MacArthur Place and boy what a treat.
We were pleasantly surprized by the bed turndown service, previewed their free in-house movies, watched the movie from the whirlpool tub and had a great nights rest! The accomodations were really fabulous, but casual at the same time.

The next day we enjoyed a beautiful garden stroll around the grounds, tasty continental breakfast, and then on to one of the best spa treatments that I have ever had. Thanks Katherine! "Hats-off" to entire hospitality staff, as well.

I would recommend MacAurthur Place to anyone that likes comfortable and elegant hospitality. Who knew such a find was in my backyard...Sonoma Valley.

Any husbands have some making up to do?

by TripAdvisor Member DlovesW

My wife and I stayed at MacArthur Place about seven months ago for our 10 year anniversary and she still talks about it at least once a week. I'm usually not one for spa stuff but when I took her here, splurged on a suite and booked a couple's massage, I changed my mind. This may sound cliche, but not only was our stay relaxing and romantic, it truly seems to have changed our married life at home. My wife never imagined that I would be able to find a place this great on my own (little does she know it happened to be the best priced in its class). The front desk staff (ask for the manager Whitney or Val in reservations to insure perfection) suggested and arranged flowers and a great gift basket to be in our room for our arrival. My wife refused to leave the suite that first night. We ordered room service from Saddles. It's my kind of restaurant with great steaks and 5 different kinds of potato sides but my wife had lots to select from as well and proclaimed it the best meal she ever had (no kidding). We lit the fire and spent over an hour in the 40 jet tub sipping champagne. She will never forget our trip to MacArthur Place and I will never forget how appreciative it has made my wife. THANK YOU MACARTHUR PLACE!

Pamper yourself!

MacArthur Place was much more than expected. We were upgraded to a deluxe suite, the room was large, with a fireplace, surround sound television, a great bathroom and wonderful soaps, shampoos, etc. made from grapeseeds., a lovely porch with a glider. Very quiet. The pool is small but well-maintained, the grounds are incredible, sculptures, amazing trees and plantings, great location. The gym is small but serves its purpose, the staff was very helpful and the Continental Breakfast a real plus and their evening wine and cheese reception is a nice touch (could be better). I wouldn't recommend the restaurant, great wines but the food not all that one would expect from Sonoma. Eat at the El Dorado Kitchen or Cafe La Haye in town, which is only four blocks away. I will definitely return. PS...always ask at the front desk for wine tasting coupons for surrounding vineyards.

A Nice Place BUT ...

by TripAdvisor Member Veroniqua

I was looking forward to staying at a Historic Inn and I did a lot of homework about where to stay. The pictures interested me and I thought that the customer service would go along with the beauty. I WAS WRONG.
We got there and were treated like it was a privilege that we were allowed to be there. The check-in lady Valerie really got my husband in a bad mood for 2 days with this attitude. It almost wrecked our expensive holiday. We got a nice little popcorn package from the Director of Operations "Kevin" but he got our name wrong on the envelope...My husband wasn't impressed. Sonoma is a great town with some fabulous restaurants and discovering them was a pleasure. All located in the Town Square area. We had some postitive time with the helpful "Eve" and the house cat "AJ" Lastly, Garden is beautiful with the spring blossoms.

Magical Sonoma

My husband and I are third generation San Franciscans- Bay Area natives. We have enjoyed the special beauty of all or our local getaway spots that are in such close proximity to S.F. But my heart belongs to Sonoma.

On the spur of the moment my husband, two girls and I headed up to Sonoma on Saturday for some sunshine and r&r. We choose McArthur Place which we have stayed at before. Kevin the concierge graciously booked us in and offered us a room change to accomodate the girls- nice start.

We went directly to the pool to swim, read, have a snack and enjoy the peace and quiet of the afternoon. The kids went off with dad to play chess in the garden. McArthur Place has a spectacular garden - beautiful flowers, sculptures and unique art placed around the entire grounds. You feel you are always making a new discovery. The large "Alice and Wonderland" chess set is a favorite for the kids.

Soon it was 5:00 and my husband and I went into the drawing room which has complimentary wine and cheese for the guests. In addition, this is where you choose your DVD for the night or, a book from the library if needed. Back to the room to shower in the spa like bathrooms and off to dinner at Saddles. If you don't feel like getting back in the car the restaurant does a very good job with a fairly diverse menu.

The next day we checked out a running trail off the Sonoma Plaza that runs up hill cresting at a look out point which gives a great view of the valley.
After the run and a swim we asked Kevin about a park we had heard about called Bartholomew Park and Winery. Kevin gave us maps, a complimentary winetasting certificate and suggested a local deli to collect the finest food items for our picnic. We had a picnic, toured the winery, walked around the spectacular historic grounds and bought some nice wine.

We stopped back at the hotel for a quick swim before heading back to the city. One last cool drink by the pool and a refreshing swim gave us the energy to say goodby to our quick getaway to Sonoma. It was hard to leave.

McArthur Place is magical. It is unique and it feels authentic when you visit as a guest. They give quiet attention to charming their guests, from the beautiful, comfortable rooms, to the sculpture. art filled gardens, the library complete with books and DVD for your room and the complimentary breakfast the next day...With newspapers. I love it. Special is an overused word but it truly applys to McArthur Place.

Wonderful Hotel & Spa

by TripAdvisor Member pjorosco

I have stayed at many tripadvisor recommended hotels, and I must thank you all for this one. The hotel is fantastic. The campus setting allows you to have a private stay, or meet people in the afternoon wine tasting (bad wine, but good idea). The hotel is a 20 minute walk from the town, or you may choose to drive (we did both). The room was PERFECT, with a nice fireplace, great bathroom, and perfect balcony. The spa was also great. I will only stay here in Sonoma from now on.

Nice Place, but inconsistent.

Don't want to bust the bubble on MacAuthur Place, but I just do not believe it ranks as a top hotel. The service was very unpolished and reminded me of a bad business chain hotel. First, on a positive note, the grounds are beautiful. Sonoma is a lovely town with great wineries close by. We had paid for a suite so our room was pretty nice (strange decorations) and it had a great tub. Our friends room, which was at the value rate of $350, was simply inadequate. It was very small and dark with only a walk-in shower. Pay for the upgrade or stay somewhere else. Most of the staff seemed to consist of a bunch of poorly trained college kids getting minimun wage. They know to act like they care, but not much else. Ownership needs a wake up call as this problem can be fixed. No bell service was offered and I found myself dragging very large bags up the stairs to our room. I ask the front desk (no conciere) to make dinner reservations one of the nights and they failed to call me back. When I followed up, they claimed to have made reservations, but when I went to the restaurant no such reservations existed and I had to wait and basically beg to eat. The spa is small and it seemed like the masseur had given one too many massages that day and it was short and average. I got the feeling this hotel is coasting on it reputation. Overall, if you want nice grounds at a premium price with below average service, stay here. Otherwise, I would not recommend it.

Comments