Vineyard Inn

Satisfaction Average

More about Sonoma

Old Town HallOld Town Hall

The Decadent DesertThe Decadent Desert

Ummm, ummm, latte!Ummm, ummm, latte!

Lamb ShankLamb Shank

What to wear

by goneill

I am going to Sonoma over labor Day with a group of women. What do I wear at night when we go out and what to wear during the day?

by risse73

Depends on the activity you will undertake. If doing wine tours during the day, a casual chic outfit will do, and for a more lavish nighttime outing, an elegant ensemble will do. If doing more rugged/laidback activities during the day/night, then casual wear will do.

by travelgourmet

Looking at it from a man's point of view, I find that one is overdressed in Sonoma if a elegant ensemble is worn. I feel that more of a concern would be warmth at night. A light sweater may do. During the day, very casual is the call, as most tourists are interested in wine tasting and not at a fashion conscious event as if they were on parade. It's wine country. Wine tasting is the star. Even the Lodge at Sonoma with it's Carneros Bistro & Wine Bar is causal dress. The temperature could reach the mid 80's F during the day and get down to a cool 57 F at night.

by risse73

If I'm attending an elegant 4-course dinner in Sonoma at nights, I will not be caught dead wearing casual wear, that's for sure. And even for daytime wine tasting, I would wear a funky/casual chic outfit, rather than raggedy clothing. Then again, that's me. Unfortunately, most Californians are always enrobed in their beach fashion complete with flip flops almost all the time, and that's the truth. I've lived in So. Cal for many years and know the scene.

by travelgourmet

Perhaps some Californians wear only beach wear and flip flops and some may even wear raggedy clothing, but this idea of chic vs casual is entertwined as my belief of casual is based on California casual, not beach wear. Check out a Chico's or Black & White store for California casual. It might surprise you. Of course, casual can have a different meaning to anyone around the world. I have never heard of casual as being raggedy (Tattered or worn-out; ragged).

by jumpingwithnorman

Sonoma - wear comfortable shoes for walking. Even at night, it's nice to take a stroll. Low heels unless you're comfortable walking in higher heels. Wedge/platforms are fine. Nothing too fancy in Sonoma. Bring a light jacket as it may turn cold at night (around 60-degree Fahrenheit). Bring a bathing suit too as you may want to either use the jacuzzi/spa at your hotel or whatever.

by risse73

When I said casual, I meant "pure casual," which is really off-putting even for a wonderful daytime wine tasting event in Sonoma. I've seen people (must be Californians, which is not offensive by any means, I still consider myself one) who have only worn flip flops, and tattered/raggedy-looking jeans/shorts + a regular T-shirt, while wine-tasting during the day. A casual/funky chic outfit is still "casual," but with flair & style matching it with nice comfortable walking shoes. As I've said about the nighttime outing, if it's more of an elegant affair, dress the part.

Travel Tips for Sonoma

What To Wear In Sonoma

by risse73

If I'm attending an elegant 4-course dinner in Sonoma at nights, I will not be caught dead wearing casual wear (of the "pure" variety, which is tattered/raggedy looking), that's for sure. And even for daytime wine tasting, I would wear a funky/casual chic outfit, rather than "pure" casual/raggedy clothing. Then again, that's me. Unfortunately, most Californians are always enrobed in their beach fashion complete with flip flops almost all the time, and that's the truth. I've lived in So. Cal for many years and know the scene.

For a lavish nighttime affair: an elegant ensemble
For daytime wine tasting: casual/funky chic outfit
For a more rugged/laidback daytime activity: casual wear

Enjoy Beautiful Sonoma!

just watch where you sit

by richiecdisc

One of the best things you can do in the Sonoma Valley is to have a picnic. It not only cuts the cost of dining out but also affords an opportunity to savor the many flavor sensations of an area noted not only for wine but fine fresh produce and artesian food stuffs like bread and cheese. Besides the great things available to eat, there are breathtaking vistas and add the sunny dry climate and you have as perfect picnic conditions as you can get. One day we had stocked up on all the perfect ingredients for a picnic. We had local artisan cheese from Sonoma, salami from an Old World outfit in San Francisco, big crusty loaves of bread from a local bakery, juicy tomatoes, olives and finally two bottles of wine from our morning tasting excursion to two vineyards. All we needed was an equally enticing place to enjoy it all. After some driving we found some nice picnic tables right next to a field with rows of vines dangling scenically in the sun. With this backdrop, we sat down with gusto, not paying much attention to the benches. An hour later after a relaxing meal, I decided to capture the event on film but when I rose from my seat, I felt my pants less eager to follow suit. The sticky sensation was one you normally feel on your shoe when you step in gum but this time I had sat squarely in a big gooey mass of it. Everyone found it pretty amusing except for me though I good naturedly took their ribbing. I tried everything to get it out including icing the sugary glob to harden it. We did manage to get the gum itself from the pants but to this day, there remains a stain to remind me of our “perfect” little place. My guess is if I had to do it all over again, I would. I can almost taste the myriad of flavors thinking back even now and nearly feel the strong sun on my face as I stare out at the golden mountains. Yeah, I’d do it again but maybe this time I’d look down first.

CHÂTEAU DE BAUN

The vineyards...

by Lys-Noir

CHÂTEAU DE BAUN

The vineyards of Château De Baun are located in the Russian River Valley, a cool growing region recognized as producing some of California's finest Chardonnays, Pinot Noirs, and champagnes. The champagne was very good and I bought one bottle of it and a blue flute to my *blue-glass* collection.

Address: 5007 Fulton Road
P.O. Box 266
Fulton,California 95439
Tel. 707-571-7500
Fax. 707-546-9221

This is the T-Bird car in front of the main building

MAN CAN LIVE BY BREAD ALONE

by travelgourmet

Sonoma, a town built around a square. One of the many shops located around this true four corner square has been praised by locals and the in-the-know tourists. Basque Boulangerie Cafe at 460 First Street East for years has been supplying the town with in their own words: "crusty, hand made loaves of peasant bread, inspired by our Basque ancestors high in the Pyrenees Mountains separating France from Spain."

The breads are made fresh daily and there are many choices of types of dough to design and taste preferences. Coffee and pastries, as well as a bistro lunch menu. A great start for that wine picnic you may plan. A loaf of delicious fresh baked bread. Bon Appetit.

Window Diving: A Sonoma Sport

by jakelorenzo

In November of 2006, during a 10 hour crush party, a new sport was invented. It's called window diving. Usually accomplished in front of the Swiss Hotel as cars slow for the stop sign, the window diver darts out into the street and leaps through an open passenger window on a passing car. Style points for conversation with the strangers in the car, leg wiggle outside the window and the actual leap and entrance into the car. Window diving is always accompanied by heavy drinking and is quite likely against some law, but it's fun and the Swiss Hotel crowd will often buy you drinks after a particularly good dive. Window diving season runs from May through November, but occurs rarely, so if you have the chance be sure to check it out.

Comments