3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Priceline.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Neat clean rooms

We had been traveling all day with our 1 yr old at the time so I was so happy to find a place stay and we did here right away. We loved the room and it was very clean. That always had to be must for me. As usual Nick loved exploring the room and checking out the beds and all the cabinets. It was very comfortable and the girl at the checkin counter at the time was really nice and friendly.

More about Best Western Sonora Oaks

Lots of positive things about the Best Western Sonora Oaks.

by TripAdvisor Member jcjintegrity

We chose this hotel after reading reviews from other Trip Advisor contributors. Because we wanted a very quiet room, we requested a room towards the back of the property, on the second floor. This was an excellent choice, as it was extremely quiet. We had a cute little balcony that looked out onto some oak trees, which was a very peaceful area. We had a deluxe room, I believe, which cost a little more ($119 per night) than the standard room. It had 2 comfortable queen-sized beds, a medium-sized refrigerator with a small freezer, and a microwave. Since we were on a budget and didn't want to eat out too much, the refrigerator & freezer were very nice to have! We used Blue Ice to keep our food cold in a little cooler during our outings to Yosemite and Big Trees State Park. The Blue Ice froze solidly every night in the little freezer so we could use them again on our next outing. It was also nice to have the fridge to keep our food and pop cold, etc.

The bathroom had a nice-sized vanity, and there was also another vanity area right outside the bathroom. That was extremely nice to have the extra space. The stopper in the sink didn't close tightly, so I had to be careful when taking out my contact lenses, but the rest of the bathroom was fine. The shower had plenty of pressure and was located at a good level. There was an open closet area near the front door that was adequate for hanging our clothes. An ironing board and iron were also in the closet area.

We didn't have any problems with the cooling system. We usually let the room get quite cool during the day, and then used only the fan at night to minimize the noise. The room was very comfortable, even thought the temperatures were well into the 90's.

The front desk was very helpful when we needed a map to Big Trees State Park (we liked it even better than the Mariposa Grove in Yosemite), and they were very friendly. They also gave us directions to a grocery store that had reasonable prices, so we could stock up for our trips. Free coffee and tea in the motel office was available 24/7.

The first morning we opted to upgrade our breakfast, which meant we had a small discount on the regular price, instead of a free breakfast.. The next two mornings we went with the free breakfast, and it was adequate enough to get the day started. It is NOT worth paying for the breakfast with the small discount they give you for staying at the hotel.

My husband enjoyed the pool, and we wished we had taken advantage of the guest coin laundry available at the hotel.

Compared to the other hotels we saw in the area, we were happy with the choice we made, and would stay there again on a future trip. We considered the Gunn House, which was very nice, but were glad we didn't choose it because the driveway into the parking area is INCREDIBLY steep (scary!) and they are located on the main drag with lots of traffic and noise.

One other note: We attended Sierra Bible Church while we were in Sonora, and it is an AWESOME place that's not too far from the hotel. Well worth the time to attend worship services there! Ask them about the "Heaven Now" marriage seminar CD's -- they are wonderful, and so are the people!

Relaxing stay

by TripAdvisor Member khebert

This was our second stay here and it was great. The first time we stayed was in October and we were on the bottom floor and the noise from the bar was loud. When checking in for this trip I mentioned it and they made sure that we were placed towards the back of the hotel and upgraded us for free! We really appreciated the great customer service.

Since we are Best Western International Members, I attended the Thursday Night Managers get together. My husband and I are looking to buy a house in Sonora and I was able to talk to the manager and other guests about the area in depth. The hotel staff make you feel very welcome, even the staff at the restaurant were very friendly and made us feel like we were regulars.

We felt like we were abe to get a glimpse into what life would be like if we move here and are returning soon!

Good, not great

by TripAdvisor Member Bucketfoot

We have stayed here a couple of times (most recently in Feb 2007).

Overall this is a nice facility. The rooms are large and quite nice. Both the kids and adults enjoyed the pool (although it is not that big).

We like it because it is not in town, but this could be a reason that some people would not like to stay there.

Find someplace other than the restaurant right there in the parking lot to eat at. It is mediocre at best.

Not Sure It's Worth 200/Night

by TripAdvisor Member AirKat

We came up to Sonora for the Columbia Father's Day Fly In. We were staying in one of the best rooms we were told. The linens on the bed did not look or smell like what I would have expected for "clean" but my daughter assured me they were clean. Despite being a non-smoking room the curtains and the (of all things) the blow dryer had a lingering smoke smell to them. I checked the couch in the room to see if it was a pull out bed and I wish I hadn't because of the color of the stains on the bottom of the cusions. I didn't want to sit on it any more. Things were dusty and despite attempts to put in nice furniture things just seemed like they were quickly put together by contractors with other things on their minds.
We had a breakfast, and a dinner in the adjacent restaurant. That was awful. The service can not udnerstand what you ask for if they come by at ALL. When we went to pay for our breakfast there were money and tickets all over the counter with no one to be found. Dinner was WORSE. Our appetizer got "lost" so our food showed up cold and coagualting with a screaming hot appetizer five minutes afterward. NO apology.... Nothing... I mentioned when we checked out that the fireplace (which we had specifically asked for) hadn't worked either night (we followed the wait 30 seconds for flame to develop instructions not being morons) - their offer was to comp us breakfast at the restaurant. We of course said "No Thanks" . I stayed there because of AAA's recommendation and because it was rated the "best" in the County. But I wonder who and how many people voted to come up with that result. We were pretty disappointed.

Nice, but still needs work

by TripAdvisor Member gradeschoolmom

We stayed at the Sonora Oaks the last week in June for two nights. When we arrived, I found that we had been upgraded to a "suite". No reason given and since I am not a member of anything other than AAA that was a good start. The rooms were large with two beds and a pull out couch. Our room had been freshly carpeted and painted and the sheets and towels were clean. The problem was that everything else had not been updated. The beds were as old as the hills and uncomfortable. The a/c didn't work properly and when you used it the fan ran all night instead of turning off after reaching the proper temp. We tried to open the windows but the screens were two inches too small on one side (on both windows) and we didn't want to sleep with the mosquitos so we had to sleep with ear plugs. The window coverings should have been replaced as well. When we left I spoke with the manager, Chris, and he was very nice and explained that they are doing renovations but that we were a little too early to enjoy the new furniture that would be coming soon. He addressed a functional issue we had with the bathroom and was very pleasant. He even offered me a Starbuck's card for any inconvenience caused. I would have preferred money off the room instead after I found that the card was for $5, but it was a nice gesture and not all hotels will even do that.

Now that I know the rooms will be updated shortly, I would stay there again. I agree that the onsite restaurant sucks but there are tons of other places to eat in the area (we ate at Applebees). The pool is pleasant enough and my kids loved it. The hotel is slightly outside of old-town but there are a lot of new strip malls popping up on the other side of town. This hotel is obviously trying to be a destination location, but there is still work to be done. One last note, there is no elevator so you are stuck lugging your gear up two flights if you want the top floor.

Not very nice.

by TripAdvisor Member SmilesOshkosh_Wi

Would not stay here again. Room was dirty. Pool area was dirty. Breakfast that was included was a joke. We had to go the restaurant at the hotel and the options were few. We didn't even stay to eat breakfast, we went someplace else to eat. Lobby is not connected to rooms. So, if you need anything it is a bit of a hike. We stayed two nights. Room was not cleaned the next day. Our bathroom was still dirty when we returned. Room was dirty. Would not stay here again!

By no means a deluxe breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member European_Traveller99

We selected this hotel after a careful review of the tripadvisor.com feedbacks and stayed for 4 nights to visit Yosemite, Stanislaus National Forest and Pinecrest.
For this purpose it was one of a few recommended choices for us. Rooms were spacious, clean, room service was exceptional and fast, receptionists were a bit cold. Free Internet was great.

A nice place to stay but bring your earplugs !

The fridge that was a nice surprise during arrival was very loud during the night, same as the loud AC and vent including the outlet vent in the bathroom that was running 24/7.
Pool was visited until late at night.

But the only really unhappy surprise was the so-called "deluxe breakfast".

It was a joke.

First and despite open seats we had to stand in a queue with 6-10 people to get seated (for a continental breakfast - no buffet). Then we waited for coffee and tea. Coffee was not drinkeable. Tea was good but not supported with more than one teabag per person - what a rare and precious spice on earth !
For the breakfast itself you had a wide coice but indeed could only have one line item out of 2 categories, e.g. you could get 2 slices of pre buttered toasts plus a tiny fruit bowl to get your day started. Not to forget the hard boiled egg you always were generously supplied with.
What a joke to even call it a "deluxe breakfast" - something that made us even more hungry after we had to wait for it for no less than 20 minutes - thank you to the entire busy breakfast service team !

Nevertheless - if you skip this breakfast "waiting and disappointment" excercise in the morning and e.g. pick one of the well serviced breakfast places in town, you will have a better start into your day.

There is plenty of relaxing activities to do in this nice region !
We loved it (the region).

Best value and service in Sonora

by TripAdvisor Member Mugwumpians

We recently spent two nights here and really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were spacious and clean. Lots of little details that made it more comfortable; four pillows of various sizes, icy cold refrigerator, microwave, a daily paper, among others. The staff was very helpful and full of local information for guests.

Although some guests have been complaining about the breakfast they should consider a few points. Instead of the usual stale continental breakfast in a lobby it is served in the adjoining restaurant on the property. It is true the place is busy in the morning since many local folk love the place and are regular customers. Hotel guests have an extensive choice of cold breakfast items and from what I saw could put together a pretty nice continental breakfast. For those wishing a more 'deluxe' set they can get a $2 discount off the regular breakfast. I suppose some foreign guests are more demanding for service (in spite the fact they don't feel inclined to tip the hard working waitress for their free breakfast) but the simple fact is that like most places in America tables have to be cleared first before seating. Also the waitresses are the only ones responsible for the hotel breakfasts. They put together the order themselves with no help from the kitchen staff who are cooking the usual breakfasts to order. At any rate, no one had to wait more than ten minutes to get a table and the service was friendly and efficient. And finally, the restaurant offers great lunches and dinners of excellent quality and price. True Americana. Chill out and enjoy the atmosphere. (or head to Starbucks down the road if that's more to your liking).

So overall the rooms were spotless, spacious, well appointed and staffed by a great cleaning staff and desk staff. The location is near the beginning of Mono Way which takes you directly into Washington the main drag of the town. Lots of little shopping areas for essentials on the way and downtown has its own distinct charm.

We'd stay again if we go back and we can certainly recommend this fine hotel to you.

Perfectly pleasant!

by TripAdvisor Member VacationGal2

It was time for our annual vacation to Sonora. This year we chose to stay at Best Western, and overall, it was great.

I brought my laptop and was able to easily hop online from the room. The net was a little slower than at home, but it was tolerable.

The room was clean...except for the footprint and hair in the tub....

The room had a refrig, microwave, iron (which worked well), hair dryer, and bedside clock.

I will tell you that in our particular room, the hot water was DAMN HOT! Hot like I have never ever had hot water in a shower before, and that is turning the knob very slowly! I was glad that we didnt have any kids with us, I would be worried about that hot water!

My major complaint is about the "Free" breakfast. Ha. There is a restaurant right next door. The hotel gives out these slips of paper to take to the restaurant for a free continental grub. Once we got to the restaurant, we had to wait for a table, and "order" our free breakfast, muffins, cold eggs, etc.

Heres the sucker part...you can use your free continental breakfast slip of paper for a discount on a actual meal. Once we got there and sat down, we were ready for breakfast. Not a muffin. It wouldn't have been half bad, but the food from that restaurant really isn't that good. My husband and I have been there several times, and it is *blah* every time. We are not going back, even for a "free" breakfast.

I would much rather prefer a continental breakfast actually IN THE HOTEL... let me make some toast with jelly, grab a danish or cereal with a muffin...nice cup of OJ or coffee...and I am going back to my room to relax on my last few moments of my vacation.

The girls at the front desk were very sweet. It is nice to have good customer service. They both looked happy, smiling to everyone. Awesome. I love that. One of them offered me a chocolate candy bar to post my review here. Sorry it took me so long, I am a slow poke.

Speaking of candy bars...they do sell Hershey bars in the office for $1.00. If I remember correctly, they dont sell anything else. Sonora tends to close down early so if your a snacker, my advice is to go to Wal-Mart and buy snacks and bring them to your room. You have a cool lil refrig in there for your waters, sodas or beers.

Overall, very pleasant experience. I would stay here again. They are higher priced then the others in town, but worth it. The room was modern. Good looking furniture.

Comments