Avalon Lodge

4075 Manzanita Ave., South Lake Tahoe, Lake Tahoe, California, 96150, United States

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Priceline.com

• Noisy & Rip-off add-on charges

We stayed at the Avalon lodge this last weekend and encountered 2 major issues: 1) our room #12 was extremely noisy (at the base of the stairs- bottom floor) and 2) this was a part of a living social deal - we brought our son and Avalon lodge charged us an additional $12 a night for him. When we made the reservation - they did not mention this fee and when I checked out - the person at the desk said that it was the owners policy and nothing she could do about it.

Beware of the add-on fees. The continental breakfast is sparse. The rooms are clean though and the location is nice. I called to speak to the owner. The owner did not call back - instead a manager called back and refused to refund the add-on fee - he claimed that it was a living social issue. I informed him that LivingSocial did not add on the fee- the hotel did.

• newsphotogirl's Profile Photo

Avalon Lodge

We booked this hotel at the last minute. It was one of the few places available at the last minute and the price was right. The location is great. Heavenly Village and the gondola are only three blocks away and the beach is within easy walking distance. The hotel is located on a side road away from the main drag so it's quiet. The hotel itself has a lot of charm. It's small and has a small hot tub and pool. The woman working the desk was very nice and helpful.

The rooms have a lot of character with older antique like furniture. Even though everything was clean, the hotel is older so the bathrooms and fixtures were a little worn and dingy. The shower was new though and that was nice.

The hotel offers complimentary coffee and danishes in the morning as well as coffee in the room. You also get free access to the beach down the street which normally charges a $5 entrance fee.

The only downside? When we booked the room we were sure to ask about whether they all had fireplaces. Even though it was summer, the mountains can get cold at night. Plus we wanted the ambiance of a fireplace. Well, we should have asked if they had AC (they don't) because it was very warm at night. There was a fan but it wasn't enough to keep us cool. My husband slept on the couch near the window. Otherwise the room was fine.

If you're looking for a clean, buget hotel in a great location then I recommend Avalon Lodge.

Directions: Close to Heavenly Village

• Best Place to Stay in South Lake Tahoe

I like this place because it is small, off the beaten path, but cool. It's close to everything. I walked to their private beach (awesome), casinos, food, movies and the Heavenly Gondola. They have roses growing all over the place. It's just a cute little place. The price was reasonable and the room was great with Starbuck's coffee, wireless internet acess and a wonderful heated outdoor pool. Lots of folks say they have pools, but they're usually cold. Avalon's pool is waaarm. I loved it. They serve a continental breakfast of croissants, fresh fruit, Tazo tea and Starbuck's coffee (good stuff!).

My room had a nice canopy bed that was very comfortable.

I would suggest you book on the second floor (less noise), but over all it's really quiet. The staff scruries around for whatever you need and because it's so small you get great service.

Unique Quality: Fireplace in my room for the chilly nights, complimentary Starbuck's coffee whenever the office is open and Starbuck's in my room too. Wireless high speed internet was great!. Cool garden patio and pool. They have barbecue area too (although I didn't have time, I might do this next time).

Directions: Walk to everything