4133 Cedar Avenue, Lake Tahoe, California, 96150, United States

Satisfaction Terrible

More about South Lake Tahoe

Lake Tahoe, CaliforniaLake Tahoe, California

Salad at 19 Kitchen BarSalad at 19 Kitchen Bar

The sun deckThe sun deck

Zephyr CoveZephyr Cove

Vacation Rentals in SLT

by thelionelking

So I know SLT has occupancy laws and stuff. However I have a very big group (20-25) that are only available on the last weekend of February. And I cannot find any affordable ($40-$70/person) places for that weekend. SO, we're going to have to pack it in. Question is, how strict are these occupancy laws? I know the same laws apply in Mammoth Lakes but we get away with it all the time up there. Any advice?

by DSwede

I've personally stuffed 16 into an apartment rented for 8. As long as the noise was not worthy of a complaint by the neighbors, they should never know.

by thelionelking

Thanks for the advice, but when you rented, were you explicitly told that you cannot over occupy and all the stuff about the legalities? Did you sign a contract that explicitly stated that there would be consequences for over occupying the home?

by DSwede

It might have been in the fine print, but honestly, I just signed the contract without reading it all. Having lived in Tahoe my whole life, I'd say the authorities are fairly relaxed about most things.

Travel Tips for South Lake Tahoe

Actually, we had a rented car...

by Luis_Alberto

Actually, we had a rented car and went around the whole lake in one day. There are so many great views, from different sides of the lake. There is quite a bit of activities to do in this winter wonderland, from gambling to skying. I had friends that lived there at the time, so I visited with them and had a wonderful time.

North Lake Tahoe

by goingsolo

A short drive away and a world apart. Leave all the commercial sprawl behind and visit the north shore. Plenty of skiing in the winter, hiking in the summer, far less crowds and beautiful views unspolied by fast food restaurants and high rise casinos blocking the view of the lake.

The north shore is about an hour's drive from South Lake Tahoe. Take the west side route and allow plenty of time to visit Emerald Bay and to enjoy the state parks along the way.

Breakfast Tradition

by jumpingwithnorman about Red Hut Cafe

There are about 3 Red Hut Cafes in and around the Lake Tahoe area. This one in South Lake Tahoe is right off Tahoe Blvd. If you don't mind waiting a bit, then Red Hut Cafe is a great place to be. Both locals & tourists seem to be attracted to this little red hut (truly!) that specializes in breakfast & lunch. It's pricier than your average breakfast place but the ingredients are fresh and the service snappy. Bacon, eggs, waffles & pancakes have always been my favorite here. Same with the corned beef hash. They also have several breakfast specials daily.

A worthwhile drive

by hartmany

Granted, I went during a very busy time (New Year's 05/06), I was told that, for traffic reasons, drive clockwise around the lake. We stayed in the southern part, and the traffic coming in from the CA side was terrible. Without much traffic, and with two stops for pictures, it took us about 1 3/4 hours by car, even driving slowly with snow chains.

Vikingsholm Castle and Fannette Island are popular attractions located at the west end of Emerald Bay. The castle is considered the finest example of Scandinavian architecture in the Western Hemisphere. Fannette Island is the only island in Lake Tahoe. It is a wonderful picture opportunity.

Writing Post Cards by the beach

by Geoff_Wright

What a view! I sat here, drinking my iced Coke, and writing my postcards at the table provided. Strange, too, that I bought the cards in Virginia City, Nevada, wrote them in California, and posted them in Nevada! I could have stayed at this spot for ages, but I had to move on. The water looked inviting too.

Comments