Fireside Lodge Bed and Breakfast

More about South Lake Tahoe

Sport Rental ShopSport Rental Shop

View From the Back of the BoatView From the Back of the Boat

Meadow trailsMeadow trails

The view from my living room windowThe view from my living room window

Vacation

by Krissimichele

We have airline tickets we MUST use before mid-March. We are from FL and want to see mountains and snow! This will be our first snow experience. We are looking to rent a cabin for 2. We also would like to have access to snow activities (skiing, snow-tubing). I heard Lake Tahoe is beautiful. What do you suggest? What month is best? Jan? Feb? March? What area is best? Is a week too long? Please post the good and bad.
THX!

by TheTravelSlut

A week is not too long for Tahoe and the area which could include side trips to Carson City (45 minutes), Virginia City (60-90 minutes), Reno (60 minutes).

You might consider spending the 1st half in South Lake Tahoe and the 2nd half at North Lake Tahoe (it's about 30-35 miles between South Lake Tahoe and Incline Village or Tahoe City and depending on weather/traffic it could be a 90 minute drive)--especially since you will be flying out of Reno more than likely.
You can consider Heavenly Valley at South Lake and at North Lake consider Ski Incline, Squaw Valley, Northstar, Mt. Rose/Slide Mtn. etc.

As for time....it all depends on snow levels and they are currently in a drought but generally late January and February you will see your best snow and snowstorms but try to avoid the holiday weekends....it gets packed with people but midweeks are great.

Be careful driving on the snow and reserve a 4WD vehicle early if you plan to drive.

by DSwede

I completely agree with what Ann said...
except for Ski Incline... its now officially "Diamond Peak"

If you go to Tahoe, another worthwhile side trip is to Virginia City, which is a living ghost town.

From SLT, go to the southwest corner of the lake you should and see Emerald Bay.
From the north side, go spend a day in Truckee

by TheTravelSlut

Thanks Dave......momentary lapse about Diamond Peak and Truckee.

I had pangs of snow last week at Beech Mountain (elevation 5,500 ft) in western North Carolina. I missed the snow by 2 days! :-(

by DSwede

I was granted permission to return to USA for Thanksgiving... so among other stops, I will be going to Tahoe in about 10 days time. Its a quick stop, but hope to see some snow too!

Welcome back then!

by ltt

tahoe is great. there are lots of condos you can rent around there. i'd go the start of february.

by kathymof

for cabin rentals try www.vrbo.com - there are other sites but this is a great place to start

by mcgarrg&j

I did some comparison shopping on taking a trip to Tahoe about 4 months ago and the thing that surprised me the most was that the accommodation prices for Thurs , Fri, and Sat nights were more than double the rates for Sun - Wed. If you can go mid week it will be A LOT less expensive.

Travel Tips for South Lake Tahoe

Snowboarding at Heavenly

by realde14

There are several ski resorts around Lake Tahoe. Heavenly is the one closest to South Lake Tahoe and hosts a variety of runs for all type of snowboarders and skiers. It is pretty extensive and it will take you whole day if you want to do all the runs.

There are several snowboard parks at Heavenly. I have not been to Kirkwood, but looking at the runs I would probably like it better since it is more local and more for snowboarders. I thought there were quite a few beginners at Heavenly.

Nonetheless, the views on Lake Tahoe from Heavenly are amazing, and the top of Heavenly at Sky Express offers probably the best views.

A daily lift ticket is pretty expensive at 77 USD, Consider buying the season pass if you stay for more than a week.

More driving... found unexpected trails

by Shihar

While we were driving around a bit, we came upon many trails that provided some of the best scenery during our trip.

The trail heads were not marked so I can't really say where exactly they were located, but you will come across them just by simply driving around the lake.

The Best Buffet in South Tahoe!

by Kiisu about The Forest Buffet

If you want a very nice Sunday brunch with an incredible view, go to the Forest Buffet restaurant on top of Harrah's casino - somewhat expensive, but what a view! Make sure you start your Sunday brunch with some Mimosa!

Kirkwood Mountain Resort

by seamandrew

Kirkwood was not located in the immediate vicinity of Lake Tahoe, but it's distance from the lake provided for unparalled skiing. Not only is Kirkwood huge, standing at close to 10,000 feet, but the amount of snow accumulation was fantastic. The conditions were powdery with just the right amount of slushiness (is that a word) to make the skiing less work and more enjoyable. We had a great time and the view of the surrounding area was unimaginable. Definitely one of the top ski resorts I have visited.

Go for a walk around Echo Lake

by jessicadf

Just off Highway 50 there's a split in to the road to go up to the top of Echo Summit, to Echo Lake. It's a beautiful lake with a trail that goes entirely around it. At least... well I think it goes entirely around it. We never seem to get all the way around. Instead, when we get about 1/4 the way around the lake, we head UP, UP UP the granite boulders. My husband grew up in South Lake Tahoe and he loves to go up this direction, with the goal of making it to the top of Flagpole Peak. We have not yet done that complete trip together, but I'm sure we will next Spring.

In the meantime, we've made it to the top of the ridge, just at the base of Flagpole Peak. Some of the most incredible, gorgeous views of Lake Tahoe are visible from here.

Comments