Forest Suites Resort Lake Tahoe

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 46% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Forest Suites Resort Lake Tahoe

Nice family resort

My husband and I, with two 17 year old girls stayed at the Forest Suites Resort March 12th thru the 15th.

I was somewhat leary after reading many of the posts, but was most pleasantly surprised. It is an older resort, but the 2 bedroom deluxe suite was like a home away from home. Very spacious, clean, and the beds were very comfortable. You cannot beat the location. It is right next to the Heavenly Village, and the girls could venture out on their own without any worrying on our part.

Excellent Location but Outdated Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member californiaboy

My wife and I stayed at Forest Suites Resort from September 3-6, 2006 and enjoyed our stay overall. The location of Forest Suites Resort is excellent. It is situated right next to the Heavenly Gandola and is close to all the gift shops. It is right next to the Mariott and Embassy Suites and is about one block from the Nevada Casino's. On the other side of the block is Raley's if you need to do some grocery shopping. Lakeside Beach (which has a marina with watersports rentals) is about 3 blocks away from the hotel.

The hotel is outdated. The outside looks nice but the rooms (although spacious) are a little dingy and have well-worn 1970's furniture and a hard bed. Bathrooms were ok. The breakfast was decent. The pool was very nice and there is also a hot tub. The hot tub isn't very hot, though. The elevator has a manual door to open before you can get inside. It is small and shakes a bit when you ride in it--would not be a good choice for someone in a wheelchair. It buckled once when I was stepping into it--got my heart going--but I ended up where I needed to be. It has a paper in it that verifies that it passed inspection, but I have my doubts. I took the stairs after that.

We booked our stay for about $125.00 per night on Expedia, so we were satisfied with what we got. I would stay here again just because of the location. There are so many great adventures to embark on in the Lake Tahoe area that we were not in our room all that often. However, if you want to just relax and be pampered, pay more money and go somewhere else.

very nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member mizruby

Very comfortable and clean 2 bdrm suite. Unbeatable location. Park here and walk to grocery store, shops, restaurants, skiing, casinos.
Friendly and helpful staff, we will definitely return.
Good price for a suite with kitchen would be perfect for a family to cook meals in.

Just came back from tahoe "Great Place"

This is the best place i have ever stayed wish i would have stayed here years ago.Staff is very nice, room's are gorgeous, plus the place is so,so, clean. The hallway's were spotless the bed's were like sleeping at home and the room was recently updated to 2006.Carpet's were spotless just like the bathroom and plenty of hot water, not to mention the heater worked so good alway's kept us warm.By far the best place i have stayed in years. We stayed 2 week's ago at the Ambassador motel by the casino's in a room with no heat,room was 50 year's old,and so was the furniture,and was so noisey with people drinking and screaming all night, that was absolutely awful so staying here was a dream.The mang.& staff are so nice, and we cannot wait to come back. I saw the rateing on this place and i feel being a guest that travels a lot, i would rate this place in the top 10 of tahoes motels/hotels. Thank You for listening

The worst experience of my life

After driving 12 hours from San Francisco due to the closure of U.S. Highway 50, my partner and I arrived at the Forest Suites Hotel at 4 am. We were staying with my sister and her boyfriend, who arrived at the hotel six hours earlier. They had an extremely difficult time checking into the hotel. The man working at the front desk forced them to wait until my partner confirmed with Orbitz that their names were on the reservation.

Although we were only staying in the hotel for one night and were hitting the slopes at 9 am the next day, my partner accidentally left a pair of jeans in the hotel room drawer. When she realized she left the jeans four hours later while we were snowboarding, we called the hotel and asked if they would check the room and retrieve the jeans. The front desk claimed they couldn't check the housekeeping manager's closet until 8:30 am Sunday morning. Unfortunately, those jeans were the only pants she brought to the hotel. Therefore, we were forced to go purchase a new pair of jeans.

We arrived at the hotel on Sunday morning, as we were told to do, to see if they had "located" the jeans. Of course, the guest services manager made us wait around in the lobby until 9 am. Somehow, mysteriously, the jeans were found! She came and announced that fact to me. I got up from the table where I was sitting and followed her to the front desk. At the same time, she was walking toward me. She announced, "Here are your jeans," as she forcefully SHOVED them into my chest. She then proceeded to point a gnarly, red-painted fingernail in my face and had the audacity to tell me I was rude to her and her staff.

I contemplated pressing charges with the South Lake Tahoe Police. Instead, I have decided to take every opportunity (via the Internet, travel guides, etc.) to inform fellow travelers that they should NEVER patronize this miserable establishment for their terrible customer service.

If you ever lose something of value at the Forest Suites, don't expect to get it back any time soon. Also, if you expect to be treated like a human being, do not stay at the Forest Suites Hotel.

Perhaps the guest services thought she could treat me like a child because I look young. I am a 32-year-old woman. It is unacceptable for anyone to get a finger pointed in her face, especially a hotel patron who is paying good money to stay at a hotel that was barely mediocre.

Over all pretty good after you settle in. Good value

by TripAdvisor Member Belgrade07

At first glance I felt a little let down. The property is made up of separate buildings of a dark brown dated exterior. I didn't expect to have to walk from lobby to our room outside. The building that housed the lobby, breakfast area, game roon and little bar was very nice, but the rooms are somewhat dingy and outdated. We had the two bedroom suite which was very roomy, but the decor could be updated to match the lobby. It was clean, but furniture was all broken down with the exception of the beds. I thought they were very comfortable, but my husbands side had a bump and he didn't sleep very well. Staff was very nice and helpful. We had big cookies and a bottle of wine waiting for us after skiing every day. Breakfast was very good every day. Hot tubs and pool was very disappointing. Not very inviting to adults, but our kids enjoyed them. Location is great for walking to Heavenly's village, town and casino area, but it is a long walk to Heavenly's gondola in ski boots and carrying your skiis. Price was good compared to the Marriot. I checked their price and it was more than double the Forrest Suites and the Marriot doesn't include breakfast. I would love to have stayed at the Marriot. It was very hard to walk past the beautiful Marriot with their great looking pool/hot tub area each day on our way back from town to the "brown buildings", but for the price the Forrest Suites was a good place for families and they really tried to make it nice.

Very Average - Would not recommend

by TripAdvisor Member HockeyKate

Having booked two weeks here in March, everything about this hotel proved to be very average. 6 of us went booking into a double room and a two bed roomed suite and had the following experiences

Double room experience: First room - We were given key and when we opened the door, it was already occupied!
2nd Room - heating broken, Cupboard door fell off, half the lights not working, loo not fixed to the floor!
Upgraded to 1 room suite, without any trouble. Suite was very scruffy but clean and warm and cleaned everyday. Although no problem moving rooms this whole experience led me to tears as not a great start after a 24 hour journey!

Suite experience: Moved twice due to number of problems with the room.

Breakfast - Very basic and kind of shoddy with things just not working smoothly like toasters etc.

Staff - friendly and polite and keen to help but did not seem apologetic about problems with room just resigned to the fact that the majority of rooms seem to be poor.

The location - fantastic, easy to get to gondola, good restaurants, hire shops, supermarket, etc.

Facilities - Pool and hot tubs nice addition- they did seem to get quite busy.

It suited us just fine!

by TripAdvisor Member Woodpecker-47

We are a family of 4 (2 Adults + 2 kids, 14 & 10) and stayed at this resort 12-19th April so we could ski at Heavenly and surrounding areas.

We flew from UK into SFO and picked up an SUV to drive to Tahoe. (Word of advice to those arriving from UK and driving straight to Lake Tahoe, you might like to take a flight leaving UK by 11am otherwise it will be late by the time you reach Lake Tahoe! We touched down at 2:15pm left the car park at 4.15pm (had to report damage to car and wait for ski rack to be fitted) but due to heavy traffic out of SF until almost Sacramento, didn’t arrive at Lake Tahoe until nearly 8:45pm). Check-in was quick and friendly. We had a 2 bedroom ground floor suite (206) which was perfectly located 5 minutes walk from the gondola and 3 minutes walk from Heavenly Village (with shops, restaurants and cinema complex) and the shopping centre with Raley’s supermarket opposite. There was enough room for all of us and kids could have their own space. The only negatives about this place was the suite could have done with a bit of updating; bathroom’s old with mouldy grout around the tiles and paint was peeling off some of the cupboards and doors plus the housekeeping left a lot to be desired with about an inch of dust on the tops of the curtains, carpets weren’t vacuumed very often and a piece of mouldy popcorn (which I discovered the first evening between the bedside table and bed) stayed with us for the duration of our visit. We could park the car directly outside the suite or there was covered parking a few yards around the corner, handy when moving 4 lots of ski equipment about for a trip out to another ski resort.

The suite consisted of:
1) A master bedroom with king sized bed, TV, en-suite bathroom (with an adequate hairdryer), large wardrobe with key operated safe and chest of drawers

2) A 2nd bedroom with another large double bed, chest of drawers, a hanging rail and a day bed.

3) An open plan living area with TV, DVD player (doesn’t play European DVDs though) large sofa bed, armchair, table & 4 chairs and a fully equipped kitchen (oven, microwave, toaster coffee maker and all crockery and utensils you could need for self catering but no kettle!).

4) A 2nd shower room opposite the 2nd bedroom but the cubicle had definitely seen better days.

5) A hallway which had a ski rack for 4 sets of skis and a large cupboard/wardrobe to store/dry off skiwear plus an iron and board.

The central heating was efficient and individually controlled. The buffet breakfast which was included in the price was adequate unless you are a big breakfast eater; usual juices, cereals, bread, US and English muffins, waffles and boiled eggs, but you often had to wait for a table between 8:30 and 9:30am.

There was a ski rental shop on site which was handy, only hired skis for my youngest and they seemed fine and a bit cheaper than the rental places next to the gondola. Reception sold ski passes which saved having to queue up next to the gondola to get them and they were the same price and could be put on your room account. Towards the end of our week, reception advised us that the lift passes were on sale cheaper at the Gondola which was good of them. There was a PC opposite reception connected to the internet for those that wanted to surf. Didn’t use the pool or hot tub; too busy skiing (which was excellent by the way!) If we revisit Lake Tahoe with the family we would stay here again (just to see if the popcorn’s still there next to the bed!)

had a great time

stayed at the forest suites june 20-23, kind of unsure after reading the bad reviews on tripadvisor but when we got there the only thing that i noticed was a little bit of a old smell in our room but that was not bad at all, we stayed in bldg 5 right next to the newly landscaped pool area ,the other pool they were not working on yet but that pool was nice too , the whole staff was very polite and wanted to make sure we were happy , the breakfast in the morning was excellent and the lobby was relaxing , i went down one night and layed on one of the couches in the lobby and had a glass of wine from the bar,( which the bartentder opened just for me)and relaxed, it was quiet, then there is the cat that walks around which my daughter loved ,it was within walking distance to everything and i would stay there again ,oh and we booked a 1 bedroom suite but when we got to our room it was a 2 bedroom ,not sure if it was a mistake or upgrade but i didnt complain, maybe because it was the middle of the week.....

Not worth the money...

by TripAdvisor Member missjenni

On the outside, the Forest Suites is a charming mountain hotel. It is ideally located within walking distance to the casinos, shopping and the Heavenly gondola. The pool area is safe, clean and ideal for families, and the breakfast buffet is more than sufficient (although if you are skiing you may need something more substantial).

I must say, however, that for what you pay for a suite (over 600 USD/night) in our case, it is NOT worth the money. The carpets were frayed in every room, beds uncomfortable, blankets stained and had holes, no a/c in the summer heatwave and bathrooms that had not been updated since the early 1980's. I am sorry to say that I was not impressed with the quality of the rooms nor with the quality of the reception staff who were borderline rude.

If you do get a good rate, then stay there by all means. But for what we paid, it was absolute robbery.

The door to our Cabin,our nephew John built it!The door to our Cabin,our nephew John built it!

Castle on the IslandCastle on the Island

Great Day!Great Day!

Lily LakeLily Lake

Forest Suites Resort

by ritzraff

I have an elopement package booked at Lake Tahoe's Forest Suites Resort.

The wedding's still over a month away, so I can cancel if need be...

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Tahoe's Forest Suites Resorts? I have read numerous online reviews, and they're making me wary. A lot of the reviews are good...but it seems just as many are bad. I'm trying to figure out if it's REALLY that bad, or if the people who go there are just used to way better, more extravagant hotels so it seems really crappy to them.

Any and all help is appreciated - thank you!

Comments