3901 Saddle Rd., Lake Tahoe, California, 96151, United States
Booking.com Travelocity eDreams

Satisfaction Average

More about South Lake Tahoe

Getting tired of hikingGetting tired of hiking

Hot air balloon landing on top a bargeHot air balloon landing on top a barge

On rainbow trailOn rainbow trail

View Lake Tahoe from Top of Ralston PeakView Lake Tahoe from Top of Ralston Peak

Ski Newbies Visiting 2nd week of April 2011

by wibbledude

My wife daugter and I will be in South Lake Tahoe for a week from April 9 2011. We've never skiied before and have a few general questions.
Firstly is it usuually ok for skiing at that time of year? I've seen 3 lesson packages ar Sierra, what would be the main focus of each lesson? There are loads of ski resorts is any one better for beginners? Will I need chains? If we were only going to ski for 3 days is there enough to do on the other days?

Any comments would be most welcome, thanks

by travelgourmet

Yes, skiing is still available in April. Snow tire chains should be in your vehicle just in case they are needed. Most roads to South Tahoe are cleared in April, but there can be that occasional heavy snow fall in April. Better safe than sorry. As for beginners ski areas, in my opinion, Heavenly has more graded slopes for beginners than Sierra. Heavenly's website: http://www.skiheavenly.com/
As to what to do other than ski, well, there is gambling on the Nevada side of Heavenly, which also means great shows and dining venues. If you bring chains, a drive up to the North Shore area with Incline Village, NV and Kings Beach,CA to get a feel of the size of Lake Tahoe. See website: http://www.visitinglaketahoe.com/
Also, Truckee, CA near Hwy 80 is a interesting mountain town. Only another half hour away is Reno, NV, "The
Biggest Little City in the World."

by Jamesr3939

April can be a crap shoot as for snow. This year everybody was closed by April as the weather got hot early. Then it stormed for a week and one resort at north shore reopened. Your best bet is Heavenly Valley as they have both a CA side and a NV side. The NV side is on the east side of the ridge and seems to hold the snow longer in the year. Mammouth Mtn (to far away for you) is on the east side and has been know to ski on the 4th of July.

South shore there is plenty to do, but most is centered around gambling. There is some lake centered activities like sail, paddle boats, etc but it could be a little cool for those. There some great shows and food in the PM. You could also rent bikes and ride the back roads and trails as the view is awesome.

I don't ski much, but my wife does. I went a couple of times and as a beginner I would look toward Sierra Ski Ranch they have lots of long slow runs. But, they are on the west side of the Sierra's and lower in elevation so they tend to close a little early than say Heavenly Valley or Incline Village.

by DSwede

On the south shore, I'd recommend Kirkwood or Sierra for beginners. Heavenly would be for more intermediate skiers. This is based on the amount and ease of access to the green slopes. Heavenly does have some green runs, but they are higher on the mountain and require access via the gondola to get to the mid-mountain.

On the north shore, I'd recommend North Star for beginner and intermediate.

by SnowDotCom

I really liked my time out in Heavenly last year. I was there in January for this event and it was my first time to the Tahoe area. To say that I was blown away is an understatement...by far one of the nicest areas in the country I think.

For the views, there isn't a resort out there that beats Heavenly. Hands down it's the best.

Here's a Heavenly:101 article I found that tells ya where to stay, what runs to ski and some off hill activities you can do all around the South Lake area: http://snow.to/w8P4B

Cheers.

Travel Tips for South Lake Tahoe

Free.. Sunny Day guide

by Shihar

Make sure you pick up a copy of the "Sunny Day guide". There are helpful maps and coupons to local resturants inside the guide. You will find a calendar of events, as well.

You should be able to find the guide at any hotel, or outside some store/food markets.

Alpine Meadows

by Pounder73

When I’ve remembered to give a sacrifice to the gods of virginity, this is another of my favorites. It has wide-open faces that can be a playground all day long, and has always been a stronghold for the skier-traditional. This was the last mountain to allow snowboarders; which now only means I can go with my friends.

If it hasn’t snowed for awhile, or it is slightly windy in the forcast, this is the LAST place you want to be. With the open faces, there is no protection from the wind - nor sun. That’s the kicker… The top of Alpine will be the first lift to shut down in the Tahoe region when there’s a low-pressure creep’n on in. but once it leaves… FUN STUFF…

Try the spa!

by Thunderdarts about Nepheles

We were met by the friendly owner who welcomed and guided us through the menu.

The price was above average, but our food was delicious and at the end of our meals, the same guy offered us an hour in one of the private spas!!!

It was only $20 USD so we did it. The spa was open at the top, so we were looking at the stars - there were also towels provided and a buzzer system for drinks service!

We didn't have any stuff with us for visiting a spa, but he laughed and told us that "The swimsuit police were off duty!"

It was an amazing experience and I can't wait to go back some day. You must visit this resturant - it's fantastic!

Gorgeous Views and Excellent Food at 19 Kitchen

by orcoastgirl about 19 Kitchen Bar at Harvey's

We had a very nice dinner here on our visit to South Lake Tahoe the beginning of the month. We stayed at the Timber Lodge and walked over here for dinner one night. We shared a salad which was very good and also shared the Lobster dinner which came with steak, short ribs and we ordered a side of the lobster mashed potatoes. A trio of creme brulee for dessert was very good, also. The waiter brings out cotton candy when your bill is presented.

We were able to catch a gorgeous sunset from the dining room window which was nice, reservations are highly recommended. Steak and lobster, lobster mashed potatoes, creme brulee

Take the Time to Be Pampered at the Stillwater Spa

by orcoastgirl

The day we drove around the lake, after lunch I checked into the Stillwater Spa at the Hyatt for a relaxing manicure and pedicure. The technician was very nice and did a terrific job. It was during the week, so I almost had the entire spa to myself. We were in a bit of a hurry or I would have loved have lingered here for a long time.

I highly recommend the Stillwater Spa at the Hyatt for anyone wanting a little pampering while visiting Incline Village.

Comments