Sportsmens Lodge Hotel

12825 Ventura Boulevard, Studio City, Los Angeles, California, 91604, United States
Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Sportsmens Lodge Hotel

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member jesse13

As a faithful higher-end chain fan -- Marriott, Hyatt, Westin, etc -- I was wary of the place because the price was so reasonable. It was the reviews on this site that convinced me to take a chance -- and also a little desperation because every hotel in the area was either sold out or $300 a night. Is it luxurious? No, but if a Marriott Courtyard is up to your standards, you'll love this place.
First of all, the location is outstanding. About 20 minutes from Burbank airport and about 15-20 from Hollywood. With a 24-hour Ralph's grocery store across the street and the phenomenal Jerry's Deli -- also 24 hours -- two blocks away, you'll never lack for food or necessities.
While the lobby definitely has an old L.A. look to it, and there are some other antiquated touches, like actual keys to the rooms and doorknobs that look as if they missed the recent renovation, there really is nothing to complain about. The rooms are spacious, extremely clean, the bath products are a higher end Bath & Body works and there is sufficiant drawer and closet space. We had a room facing the pool, so it had a small balcony. I was a little worried about noise from early morning swimmers, but never heard a thing. For those who like to exercise while away, the "gym" is the extremely basic setup of treadmill, bike and all-in-one weight machine in a little room, but it gets you through.
Finally, everyone we dealt with, from the front desk to the maid who gave me a towel since the gym didn't have any, was extremely nice. A great find. A great price.

This place has seen better days . . . .

My son, daughter and I recently stayed at the Sportsmen's Lodge. We had asked for a non-smoking room, but were given a smoking room and told there was nothing else available. The management switched us the next day, but aside from the reservations manager with whom I finally spoke to directly, the front of house folks were very passive and inflexible. In the switchover, my son left his toiletries bag in the smoking room and it took quite a while to retrieve it, whereupon we found some stuff missing - bizarre stuff, really, the dental floss, mouthwash, a quarter bottle of tylenol PM.

The hotel is just kind of dreary and shabby, like the owners aren't really taking care of it. The grounds, which are pretty extensive, are not really maintained - as a gardener, I was aching for my pruners. One morning I walked the place and happened upon the resident swans who were breakfasting on a very dead goldfish in this murky, murky manmade pond. Really gross. On our last day there, a movie scene was shot in one of the rooms which was entertaining, of course, and I was told the Sportmen's Lodge is actually used often by the studios. But that means there is income, but it doesn't appear to be going back into the hotel. It was a disappointment and I wouldn't go back again.

Above Average hotel and close to attractions

by TripAdvisor Member Debie2004

Nice hotel. Housekeeping and restaurant staff extremely helpful and friendly. Front desk and pool bar staff need reminders about courtesy. I felt they were rather curt and non-accommodating. Pool large and well kept. Laundry facility. Most rooms have a balcony which are comfortable to sit and people watch in the evenings. The worse aspect of this hotel is that they only have full-size beds in the double rooms which is difficult for two adults to share comfortably. I did not sleep well both nights of my stay. Additionally, there is only one ice machine location which is near the pool. For such a large hotel, this "inconvience" is insulting. When I pay close to $200 a night for a room with two full size beds I resent having to walk clear down the hall, take the elevator down to the lobby level then walk the path around the pool to get a small bucket of ice.

Worst beds, curt staff, old hotel showing age and lack of upkeep

by TripAdvisor Member bookcollector

Stayed here because I needed to be close to Van Nuys for a one time business trip. Paid almost $200 a night for a double room with 2 beds, both were so broken down they were impossible to sleep on. After many, many requests for another room, bed, backboard, anything, - I ended up getting about 10 pillows (I'm not kidding - I had 14 pillows in the room) and using them to fill the giant hole in the bed. Didn't work too well. On about the 3rd day of my stay they brought another mattress that was stained and just as broken down as the first one. This made me happy as I saw them carrying in NEW mattreses for the rooms they were remodeling.

Rented a refrigerator for $45 because of my daughter's special dietary needs. It did not work at all. Sorry, they only had one more and it was just as old and didn't work very well either. ????? Still charged me $45. The "relaxing" lobby was as 20 X 20 ft area with 2 couches. The "grounds" are really just some fakey garden areas set up for the many middle class functions they have - weddings, parties, etc. They have these going on almost every night. At least 2 nights there were parties in or near the pool that went on until after 2:00 am, loud, with loud music, etc. Most nights there was some type of function that took up nearly all the parking areas. All the parking was roped off with valet signs. Very irritating when you are a registered guest. I just pulled around the ropes and parked anyway.

Only ate once in the restaurant because it smelled so bad in there. Like a diaper pail full of wet diapers that someone forgot. I did go back in a few times just to make sure that the smell wasn't a one time problem. It was ALWAYS stinky in there. The complimentary coffee/tea machine in the lobby was broken all but one night. There were 2 tiny (3 ft X 4 ft) elevators that serviced the whole hotel, they worked poorly and had signs posted about not panicking during a break down. They did not break down while I was there, but everyone has to use those 2 elevators, including the janitors, room service, housekeeping, etc.....It was "fun" to be joined in the elevator by a janitor carrying several huge bags of garbage.

The laundry facility consisted of 2 washers and 1 working dryer. The place was full of kids in town to attend an acting school. During our 8 days there we saw 2 changes of acting school kids. We also visited with the kid from General Hospital and his Dad in the pool - his family maintains a residence there, along with David Cassidy, Brian Wilson and the guy who plays Freddy Krueger. I don't watch much TV, but the Dad was making sure everyone knew who they were. I hope they get better service and accomodations than we did. There were film crews present 2 of the 8 days we stayed there. Didn't know what they were doing, didn't care. They took up about 1/3 of the parking though. I may have been getting quite grumpy from lack of sleep at this time.

The pool was nice, a deep, large pool that was clean and well maintained (as far as on can tell by looking). However there were never enough towels, and there weren't really very many swimmers. After going to the front desk to inquire about the towel situation, they "offered" to let me go back up to my room, request towels from the maid, wait for them to be delivered and then I could dry off. The whole place was just kind of dumpy and substandard. I would never stay here again. All of he things I expect in a hotel (decent bed, courteous service, cleanliness) were absent. Couldn't get any of my issues resolved. Staff were very arrogant.

Don't waste your time or your money!!!

by TripAdvisor Member lexijewellmom

This hotel has got to onw of THE most over rated, disgusting places that anyone can stay or dine. We had to have our roof redone and we live in the area locally. We needed a hotel to take the kids to for a few nights and I was shown a "suite" on the property. It was over $200+ dollars and just horrible! The decor, pepto bismol paint, old bed and fixtures that had a rickety old balcony that overlooked the astro turf area near the (poor excuse for... ) a pool! We didn't stay, but wanted to try a brunch there. The food was cold, the restaurant was falling apart and filled with nothing but elderly people that had no tolerence for families w/children. When we complained after sitting for about 1/2 with the WORST service I have ever encountered, we we confronted by a hostile and belitting manager who promptly told us that "well you must have eaten something while you were sitting here..." I was pregnant at the time and I'm sure he was referring to my weight. What a lovely human being he was!! Ugh!! Can you imagine? I challenged the charge with Amex and we won! Thank God for Amex!! I even wrote a letter and they never had the class to respond. If you need to and can spend that kind of money, take a drive over the hill to The Regent Beverly Wilshire Hotel, where we were welcomed with open arms and booked into a suite for only $235.00/weeknight. It was heavenly....and we were treated like royality. Just the way it should be :-)

This is a wonderful hotel.

by TripAdvisor Member Tonysgirl

I used to live in Studio City, however, have moved up North. I stay at the Sportsmen's Lodge Hotel whenever I am in town. I enjoyed every aspect of this hotel. The staff was polite, respectful and courteous. The sleeping rooms have been recently remodeled and I think they are fabulous. The beds are very comfortable. I love the quaint Patio Cafe where you can get a very good meal for a reasonable price. And the olympic sized pool is wonderful. It's a wonderful hotel tucked away so you seem to forget that you're still in the city.

ok, so long as you don't need the internet

by TripAdvisor Member glowfish

I'm staying in the hotel as I write this. It's a shame because it has potential to be great, but instead it hovers in medicority. The beds are ancient, using standard hotel bedding which you could find in any travelodge.
The pool area is nice enough, and I particularly like the bar area by the pool, but it does get a little old listening to the wedding/meetings/receptions and so on that can go into very late hours.
The walls are thin: not only could I hear my neighbor, but I could hear the woman he was talking to on his cell phone as well.
But for me the most frustrating thing about the hotel is the internet service. I have to pay an additional $10/night to get access to their "high-speed" wifi service. I need this for my work, which is mostly email based, so it's not like I am watching youTube videos all the time. The service is frustratingly slow, and prone to breakdowns. I have actually had dial up services that were faster. I don't understand in this day and age how a hotel can justify charging extra for a very substandard wifi connection. Not when many hotels will offer excellent connections included in the room rate.
This is the second time I have stayed here, and both times I have visited my connection has gone down, unable to get restarted, forcing me to change rooms to continue my work. Even when it is working, it is very spotty and slow, and I sometimes have to wait agonizingly long times just for my email to be received.
This isn't my first choice of hotels when in LA, but sometimes it's my only option as I often have to travel here at the last minute.
All things considered, it's a decent enough place, but with just a little more attention to detail it could be great, and they could have me as a regular customer. Instead I head elsewheres....

Very Helpful Staff

by TripAdvisor Member travelfn

I found the staff very helpful in getting connecting room for my sister & her family. The kids loved the pool & the adults the beautiful gardens. A hideaway in the mist of the city ... a real pleasure.
The food was excellent as was the service. The shuttle bus to Universal Studios was a plus.
A great experience.

Not the Ritz, but a pleasant stay

by TripAdvisor Member AThena53

I stayed at the Sportsmen's Lodge bacause I was speaking at a meeting there. I agree with the earlier review that if you're OK with Hampton Inn types, this will be fine. It's also got a lot more character than a Hampton Inn or a Courtyard. Definitely an older property but my room was clean and everything worked. The pool was huge and I pretty much had it all to myself although they were setting up for a reception for a vetrinarian's convention later in the evening.

With Ralph's across the street, I didn't try the restaurants. Ralph's had everything- lots of good freshly-prepared foods, half-bottles of wine (some with screw tops if you didn't have a corkscrew!), even bagels and little containers of cream cheese so I had something for breakfast on my 7 AM flight home the next morning. The only hotel food I had was the catered lunch at the meeting. The chicken had some sort of clear lemon sauce that tasted good but was totally unappetizing because it had congealed. The catering service should do a better job of selecting dishes that will still be OK when you're trying to serve 30 people at once.

Computers are available in the lobby but there's a charge to go on-line and printing is $2.50 a page.

My room rate was $149 but taxes and $10 for high-speed Internet brought it up to $177. Still a good value for this area, I think.

average

by TripAdvisor Member micky-p

great hotel we stopped there in sept 2006 willie nelson the country singer was there ...plenty to do .... hotel was clean and service was excellent

On Ventura BoulevardOn Ventura Boulevard