There is an AWESOME bike path...
There is an AWESOME bike path that runs from Alma and 85 all the way out to Shoreline. From Shoreline you should be able to bike all the way into Palo Alto! The easiest way to get to this path:
* From El Camino and Americana way, go LEFT onto Rainbow.
* When Rainbow dead-ends, go LEFT.
* Take the first RIGHT. I think this is Dana St.
* Right before the overpass over 85, take a RIGHT onto Patriot Street.
* Patriot dead-ends onto Alma. Do NOT cross Alma; bike up the left side.
* Right past the overpass you should see the Alma St. Trailhead, which is the entry to the pedestrian bridge. Ride on up and over the bridge, and enjoy!