Wild Palms Hotel

Wild Palms Hotel - a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Wild Palms Hotel

Sort of strange. . . but we'd probably go again

We had expectations, because Wild Palms is a Joie de Vivre (we like their hotels in SF). But you can't get away from the fact that this joint is just a motor inn dolled up to look like a boutique hotel.

We got a canopy. a wicker chair. nice sheets, thick towels and one terry cloth bathrobe. Plus, an itty-bitty t.v. perched atop a piece of furniture that looked like a freestanding bathroom cabinet. Oh, and a pretty decent continental breakfast. Good coffee in real china, yogurt, cereal, orange juice. . .

But maintenance is off the mark. Doors are scuffed, dead leaves in the breezeways, mildewed caulk on the tub. One section was cordoned off with caution tape. "Fitness Room" is three machines, no weights (although a sign indicates that they're supposed to be there).

My husband was woken up by partiers in the hot tub at 2:30 a.m. Their noise stopped abruptly-- he thinks that staff or security put the kabosh on their fun.

We'd stay again because we got a good rate online. But we'd ask for a room away from the pool (but still quiet, if that's possible).

Great place to stay!

The hotel is very comfortable. Right in the middle of great ethnic and non-ethnic restaurants, easy access to to the major areas of the valley. The staff is very knowledgeable about the area and it's features. My only complaint is "No High Speed Internet", this is a feature that is very important to almost everyone in this day and age, particularly the business traveler.

I would highly recommend this hotel!

Loved the Wild Palms

As a frequent business traveler I have to say that I was truly impressed by the comfort level provided by the Wild Palms. It has a great location, wonderful continental breakfast, the best coffee in town, heavenly bed, fabulous staff, free high speed connection, and delightful ambiance.
I loved the hotel and service so much that I stayed there every week for over three months while on business in Sunnyvale. I was so accustomed to the breakfast selection that at the end of my stayed I inquired about the brand of granola cereal served as part of the continental breakfast. My appreciation from the superb customer service blossomed when I received a box of the granola cereal at my home. I would definitely stay there again.

Outstanding service AND comfortable rooms!

It is all too rare that a hotel pays attention to both service and room comfort. Every housekeeper and front desk staff member was over the top focused on ME! The rooms at this hotel were perfect for my family. The little details were what exceeded our expectations. The bed was perfect and the room was the cleanest I have ever seen. When we return to the San Jose area we will definitely be staying at this hotel as we got far more than we paid for.

Wild (about the) Palms

by TripAdvisor Member cfurry

It first must be said that Wild Palms is not a Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, or other chain that has smoothed over the hotel experience to the point where a night spent in Cleveland is virtually indistinguishable from one spent in Savannah, Seattle, or Dallas. (For the record, I don't mind staying at any of those chains, particularly when I travel for business and often don't have the time or energy to think about anything other than the reason I'm in town. In those cases, that mindless uniformity of experience just keeps the hotel itself from getting in my way.)

But this is a unique property. This likely explains why Wild Palms seems to register strongly positive or negative opinions among TripAdvisor posters. It makes an impression -- unlike, say, a convention center Marriott.

Here's what I like: The easy, open, airy lobby. A front office staff that isn't molded by a Hilton-issue employee rubber stamp, and yet still manages to provide fine service. A terrific pool and hot tub. Comfortable beds. A midcentury modern look and feel. A location accessible to Hwys 101 and 280, and close to some good restaurants, grocery stores, and the great Trader Joe's. An in-room food delivery service that will send you some of the best pizza you'll consume in Silicon Valley. A 2-minute drive to Sunken Gardens, a well-tended nine-hole golf course hidden away from the street and offering a fast, if moist, early round.

Here's what could be better: Parking lot lighting, particularly near the pedestrian entry gates. The free breakfast (mostly good stuff, though 95 percent carbs). And...well...that's about it.

My wife joined me on my most recent trip to California, and she was so delighted with this hotel that she wants to return just to stay at Wild Palms. And this from a woman who has stayed with me at Fairmonts, Four Seasons and all manner of luxury hotels throughout the US and Europe. To me, that kind of reaction suggests that everyone should stay here at least once, if only to find out what kind of impression it will leave on you.

Did not like the stay

My husband and I decided to stay at this hotel because of the reviews from TripAdvisor, Travelocity, and Hotels[-] and the pictures that were posted at these website. The hotel pictures appeared very nice, so we assumed that we were going to have a pleasant stay at this hotel. My husband and I did not check into the hotel until very late the first night, therefore we were not able to view our surroundings until the next morning.

When we got to our room, I basically had to push my entire weight against the door for it to open because the door was stuck to the frame. There was a musky odor in the room, so be prepared for an old smell to permeate your room. In addition, the websites boasted that they have aveda bath products, but that is not the case. The next morning, I was disappointed with our surroundings! Apparently the pictures that were posted must have been taken when the hotel was first open because everything that I saw appeared to be old. This include both the inside and outside furnishing.

If I had known about this, I would have paid a little bit more and stayed at a better hotel. I can truly say that I would not be back for another stay.

Very nice yet affordable boutique hotel

My husband and I stayed at the Wild Palms for three nights while we were in the area on a house-hunting trip (we are moving to San Jose in August). Not surprisingly, searching for a place to live was very stressful and tiring. The Wild Palms was the bright light to our trip. It was comfortable and very quiet (we had a back room overlooking the parking lot). The Wild Palms offered a very comfortable and unique bed (with canopy), Aveda bath products, and overall, a lot more character than you would find in a chain hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. We swam in the pool every day and this was the only time that we were able to unwind and relax.

I can't think of too many downsides. The hot tub was big and nice but had a lot of chlorine in it. The breakfast was good, not great. As other reviewers have noted, it was a bit heavy on the carbs. However, the coffee and tea selection was excellent.

All in all, I would say that the Wild Palms is a great bargain and I would stay there again in a second.

Romantic bedroom, designer bath amenities, great workspace

The lush plantings & bright colors of the open entry area reminded us of our condo in Hawaii. The small bar off the lobby was not open Friday – Sunday. Our hosts sensed our disappointment on this hot summer evening and surprised us poolside with a complimentary beverage (probably from the mini-mart across the street). Every member of the staff, from the manager to the maid, was extremely accommodating and very knowledgeable about the area’s restaurants and shops.
The moderately sized room was exceptionally well appointed for such a reasonable rate. The elegant canopy, headboard, and matching linens were so lovely that we took photos so we could decorate our guest room to match. The standard sized motel bathroom was made elegant by the marble counter and the luxurious above counter porcelain bowl and designer faucet.
The workstation amenities were well thought out, with a big counter, adequate lighting, lots of plugs, a good office chair, and a nice reading chair beside a floor lamp.
The huge pool and hot tub were sparkling clean and well lit. The nice cabanas would be very welcoming on a hot sunny day. We didn’t get to use the small exercise room, but the equipment was good quality and looked like new.
Little touches, such as the murals in the hallways, were everywhere. Overall everything was clean and well maintained, although our carpet was in need of a shampooing.
The hotel is just off the El Camino Real and about 1 mile from Hewlett Packard. The big parking lot was easy to access, well lit, and had enough room to park a trailer at the rear.

Nice hotel, but read the WARNING sign at front desk.

My family and I stayed 2 nights at this hotel in June 2004. We came to California because of a wedding. I was skeptical about booking this hotel because of the incredible low rate. I got a rate of about $50 a night. I took a risk and booked it anyway. This hotel is definitely a different hotel. The hotel lobby is very laid back and airy (like you on a small island). The decor was very colorful but not hideous. I don't hate it but at the same time did not fall in love with it either. The parking was free but somewhat dangerous. It did not have any sort of security, so make sure you lock your doors or look out your hotel windows and check it out often. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, when I checked in at the hotel, I read a warning sign next to the check in desk. I don't remember the exact words, but it mentioned something like -- this property has been detected for some chemicals that can develop CANCER in human. MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE FRONT DESK EMPLOYEE TO EXPLAIN THAT TO YOU. When I asked the staff about that she replied, " You are only here for two nights, you should be okay...." WOW ! I hope that girl does not work full time there...And if she does, she might not be there long....

Anyways, the door was old and dingy and the outside lobby carpet was filthy. I was amazed when I opened the door. The room was exceptionally small, but it was very nice and elegant. My room had two canopies and nice pillows and beddings. The bathroom was also small, but very updated. It had an over the counter sink with faucet. very very nice, I couldn't complain there. Room was very clean...

The pool area clean and nice. Pool should have been heated, even though it was in June, it was still very chilly in California.

The continental breakfast was very nice and the patio and breakfast area was clean and inviting.

The exercise room was not much of an exercise room, but I did manage to get in about 30 minutes of running on the treadmill.

Overall, I actually did have a nice time there. This was definitely a unique hotel, the rate was EXCELLENT !! I would definitely recommend this place to everyone, don't expect the highest quality, but for the AWESOME PRICE, YOU COULD NOT FIND A BETTER HOTEL.

Comments