34843 Rancho California Road, Temecula, California, 92591, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

More about South Coast Winery Resort & Spa

An Awesome Stay in Temecula

by TripAdvisor Member SoCalSon

Visited the South Coast Winery Resort & Spa last September with my girlfriend and we were both blown away by the place.

Our villa was spacious and bordering on luxurious. A very comfortable sofa (took a nap here after one too many wine tastings nearby), nice queen bed, gas fireplace, wet bar with bottle of South Coast wine and French doors that lead out to a patio surrounded by vineyards (we had the villa at the very end of the row of villas so no neighbors on one side).

Loved the very large marble-appointed bathroom with its separate jacuzzi tub, tile shower with bench seat, enclosed wc, double sinks. The bathroom was about a third of the villa. Really impressive. Everything was spotless.

Each villa is grouped with three others to form a quartet and most quartets are adjacent to small vineyard plots -- a really neat and unique setup.

We didn't see the spa as it was still under construction. We attended a Katrina benefit one evening so we got to see the main resort all decked out and it was very beautiful -- the perfect place for a special event. One thing about nighttime at the villas themselves is that it is very dark since there are no street lights.

Our only meal was breakfast on the terrace the morning we left. A great al fresco dining experience. We enjoyed wine tasting as well but didn't buy any here.

For dinner, I heartily recommend Scarcella's in Temecula. We've been to Temecula a few times and always eat dinner here. Outstanding Italian food. It's located on Ynez Road off the I-15 in the Tower Plaza (where the movie theater is located).

Since our stay, friends of our came based on how we went on about the place and they loved it as well. One couple stayed here the weekend they got engaged. Wish we got a commission :P

Lots of potential

My husband and I stayed at South Coast Winery for our first anniversary last weekend. The grounds and rooms are beautiful, but there are a few issues to work out. We had higher than usual expectations of this place based on the price. The jacuzzi tub in our room repeatedly did not work. When we arrived it took more than a half hour of sitting and waiting in the check in room before someone helped us. We are in our twenties and college educated and it was difficult for us to figure out where to go to check in and the staff did not make it any clearer or more welcoming for us. We were hungry and wanted to eat when we got there and the restaurant was closed-- this was around 2pm. We then wanted to make a dinner reservation and were told they were full that night (fine; then we should have been informed of this when we made our room res. so we could have reserved dinner ahead of time). We were hungry and asked where in the area we could eat and finally were told to go to The Plantation Room down the road... which was very good. We also ate dinner at Callaway and that was wonderful. Another problem: we had massages scheduled at 5:00 and when it was 5:30 and no one had arrived, we called the front desk. By 6:00 we were told we could have our massages the next day at 11am and check out late, no problem. (This was frustrating because we paid a lot more for these massages... and had to sign for them ahead of time and then the hotel didn't even book them. It was frustrating that we could have been out exploring but instead were sitting in our room waiting...) Just an overall total lack of communication between and from the staff. The next morning DURING our massages the phone rang twice, then another time afterwards, to ask when we were checking out. I have worked at a hotel before and I know that with better attention to communication things would go more smoothly. It seemed like they wanted us to give our business to other places... for lunch, dinner, and when we needed cash we were told to go to another winery for an ATM. The manager was nice when we nicely informed her of the problems we experienced but offered no refund or adjustment. Hopefully these kinks will get worked out and we'll be able to return someday in the future.... The rooms (other than the spa not working) really were very nice. But again, for such a high price, our expectations were a lot higher.

Georgoes setting, restaurant does not have it together

by TripAdvisor Member HERBS_&_ROSES

I stayed at South Coast winery with 5 female friends for a spa get away weekend. The villas are large, nicely decorated but overpriced at $300/night. The beds were very comfortable. Great setting with each villa standing alone (no attached walls) right near some grapevines.

We had all booked spa appointments. Everyone in the group really enjoyed their treatment. There was a bit of mix up with the gender of the technicians who provided the services. We were told in advance who would have males and who would have females. It didn't turn out as planned. No big deal. While I was at the desk paying, one of the technicians came up to discuss something with the manger/supervisor, and the manger/supervisor proclaimed quite loudly "What's her problem?" Unprofessional.

We had dinner reservations at the restaurant. It's a very large, vaulted ceiling, rustic but modern building. Several of us ordered steaks. Three of us ordered steaks cooked medium-rare and they arrived medium-well to well done. We sent two of the dinners back. At $34 bucks for a steak and a couple of potatoes/veggies, I wanted my steak cooked right. My replacement steak was fine, medium-rare, but the other steak was still well done. We asked to speak to a manager just as an FYI to the staff. The manager did come over but did not offer anything for their repeated mistakes. I would have expected a free dessert or something.

We ate breakfast at the resaurant the next morning. I was going to order oatmeal until the waitress was honest and told me that the oatmeal was instant. I couldn't beleive it! I ordered French toast instead. It came without syrup and I asked for syrup. 15-20 minutes later I finally got syrup from another server. My friend ordered eggs benedit and the eggs came over cooked. It was sent back. The second time there was no yolk in one of the eggs. We spoke to our server who showed concern and made things right by bringing another egg and deducting the French toast and eggs benedict from the bill. She also brought a free mimosa for one of us. Clearly the restaurant does not have it together. Considering we dumped well over $1000 that weekend, I expect better service.

All in all I enjoyed myself, but I can not justify returning because of the outrageous prices and poor service.

Don't Trust Them

We made reservations for a group of 10. Prior to arriving we called to confirm our reservations and,although we had a confirmation number and a deposit,they had no record of our reservation. Fortunately,we were able to stay else where. Just this week friends made a reservation for brunch on Mothers Day . Because of the difficulties we had they called to confirm and had the same problem.
Beware! Don't trust them!

Nice and they are trying hard

Personally, I have no desire to be in Temecula. We were there only for a wedding. Most of the wedding party was staying at this resort, so we stayed there also.

This place is definitely nice. The rooms are actually set up in pods of 3 units. We happened to stay in 1103 which looks like it can also be divided into 2 units. We had a master bedroom with a king size bed and full bath and a very large living room with another full bath. We are a family of 6. So we slept our youngest in the master bed with us and the rest of the kids in the living room on a roll away and the sleeper sofa.

Both rooms had tvs, refrigerators, sinks, fireplaces, walk in closetsw and jacuzzi bathtubs.

Here are the really nice things about this resort:

1. THe decor is beautiful. You feel like you are in a model home, not a hotel.
2. The mattress was new and incredibly comfortable
3. The linens were high quality and comfortable
4. The pillow were of excellent quality
5. The rooms were spotlessly clean
6. Centrally located in the Temecula wine country
7. Private. No one above, below or next to you.
8. Bathrooms are spacious and well appointed with marble
9. Bathrobes provided.
10. Luscious towels

Here are the things they need to improve:

1. We arrived late, 9:30 pm and it took several hours to cool down the room. Call ahead and ask them to turn on air conditioner before you arrive.
2. Air conditioner noise bothered a couple of our children
3. Market umbrellas on private patio were missing a pin to keep one open. Despite being informed of this, staff failed to ever replace it during our 2 day stay.
4. Although they knew there were 6 of us, they didn't provide enough towels and we had to call for more. THey promptly brought more and a bunch of other stuff like shampoo, toothbrushes, soap, slipper,
5. Housekeeping didn't understand english well enough to come back when we asked, only sort of cleaned rooms, (although they did hit the most important stuff and I wouldn't even think of calling the place unclean)
6. No Wi-Fi. You can plug your computer into the phone jack to get internet. If you do not bring your own cable you have to go to the front desk ( awalk) to get one. I think they should have wi-fi or at least keep the cables in the room.
7. The table on which you need to put your laptop is next to the airconditioner in 1103 and it blows the curtains all over the table and you freeze your bum off as you work.

Unlike the previous reviewer who's reservation was lost, ours was not. Of course, we did call directly and speak to a person. I would recommend this regardless of the hotel you are booking at.

I would recommend this location if you are set on visiting Temecula. They are ovbiously interested in being a top knotch facility.

Although we did not use the spa, we did use the pool and found it clean and pleasant. The landscaping around it looked fairly new and was not filled it yet. I would imagine that within a year or 2 this resort will be very lush looking.

Oh, another benefit, there are plenty of parking spots located outside of each "pod", and you are only minutes away from Target, grocery stores, restaurants and such if you need anything.

Winery Wannabes

by TripAdvisor Member vlsb

It is decorated in a sterile fashion. Thermostat did not work and our room was 100 degrees. Staff seemed bothered and unhelpful when we alerted them to this. The same was true when we asked for down alternative pillows. No fan in the water closet. Adjectives that come to mind are pretentious, snobby, poorly managed and overpriced. The wine is terrible! You can tell that they are trying, but not yet succeeding.

Pluses: Although the wine is bad, you do get a free bottle. The bed was very comfortable. And the vineyard facing rooms do have a beautiful view. Each room feels like a bungalow, with no shared walls, separate dining and sitting area, jacuzzi tub, and a private patio.

If you're looking for midweek luxury and total relaxation, this is the place .

by TripAdvisor Member addeh

My husband and I stayed on a Wednesday night and practically had the place to ourselves. The hotel check in area is more like a real estate sales office and threw us off a bit at first. Our hostess was extremely pretentious and we wondered what we were getting ourselves into. After receiving a very confusing map and trying to locate our villa, things picked up from there. The villa was beautiful and more space than we needed for 2 people for one night, but the rate was very reasonable. We dialed 0 upon finding that the a/c was not on and were told how to start it. The room cooled down right away although the curtains blew all over the place and I had to tie them down. The villa was luxurious and spotlessly clean. There was a free bottle of wine in the room which we enjoyed on our patio overlooking the vineyards. After a long drive there, we didn't want to leave the resort so made reservations in their very spacious dining room for later that night. In the meantime we walked over to use the brand new pool and relaxed there-- practically by ourselves. An attendant brought us an abudance of large fluffy towels. The restaurant was almost empty but the service was excellent, the waitress couldn't have been more helpful, and the food was delicious. The following morning my husband went to play golf and I went to the spa for a facial. The spa is brand new and full of amenities. I enjoyed an hour of luxury while I waited for him to return. Check out was 11:00 but upon explaining the lateness of my husband, I was graciously told we could stay until 1:00. He was able to shower and change in the spa upon his return.
We finally enjoyed some wine tasting at their winery and had individual attention with every choice. We were more than pleased with our stay there and would highly recommend it for a midweek visit.

OK - Pricey, Nice Rooms, Pretentious Staff

by TripAdvisor Member averagefamilyguy

We made reservations personally by phone. Overall, we had a good time, however, this hotel needs to communicate and coordinate better with thier spa. The spa and hotel act like two seperate entities. We made spa reservations through the hotel reservations, but it was not honored when I called to confirm. One spa agent told us that the "hotel staff does not communicate well with the hotel staff"

Pros: Awesome rooms, with great vineyard views. Ultra clean lobby, rooms and facilities. Restuarant food was good - like eating at a Marriott. Restaurant waiters were very friendly.

Cons: Staff a little pretentious at the reservation office, restaurant hostess and spa reservations. At full service spa, pay high prices with mediocre amenities. Spa staff claims to be fully booked, but we saw few people there (the place was almost empty). Women's steam room did not work.

I think this new hotel is still figuring itself out. Overall, we had a relaxing time....but we also paid for it...

Worst mini-vacation experience YET!

by TripAdvisor Member angela40243

My husband and I recently had a baby in January and were excited about the mini-vacation we were about to take. It was a much needed vacation but the excitement was abruptly brought to an end when we found ourselves waiting over 3 HOURS for our room to be ready! We were told when we made the reservations that our room would be ready after 3pm. We checked in at exactly 3pm and were told that our room wouldn't be ready for a while and that we should go taste wine and check back. Well, we checked back in an hour and the house keepers and said they hadn't even gotten to the room yet. So we sat in the office for a while and realized it wasn't going to be ready any time soon so we decided to sit outside for a while. AFTER 6pm we checked back in the office and after waiting a few more minutes we were given our room key. FINALLY!!!! We changed our dinner reservations from 6:30 to 7:30 so we had enough time to get ready. Once we arrived at the Vineyard Rose restaurant, for a much needed 'date,' we were told the wait would be about an hour until we were seated. Extremely disappointed, we sat at the bar for an hour until we were finally seated. We tried to make the most of it but when our dinner came to us, the New York strip steak my husband ordered was drenched in teriyaki and my halibut came to me breaded and looking like a hot pocket!! My husband did not order teriyaki sauce, and I had no idea my halibut was going to be in a bread pocket! We were so upset by the time we got back to the room that we were going to make sure no one else we knew ever visited this place.
I've heard that since our stay and our complaint (I'm sure others too) they fired many managers and they have brought in new people who are doing a better job. I should hope so!!!!!!!

Temecula CA

by malianrob

My sister recently moved to Temecula and I wasnt too happy about that. Its about an hour and a half drive from LA and during traffic hours its even worse. I wasnt too happy about her moving that far away from us but when I go to visit her i can see why she chose to go there. She says that Temecula reminds her of the rolling hills of Italy and the mountains that surround Temecula remind her of the Ecuadorean Andes. Everything in her neighbothood is brand new and the homes are still affordable. The best part is when we go to visit her we get to go wine tasting. This has become my new favorite hobby.
Temecula is less than 60 miles north of San Diego and 90 miles southeast of Los Angeles and lies in the Temecula Valley Wine Country, the heart of California's South Coast wine region.

"TEMECULA WINERIES"

You can find more information abou the wineries, wine tours, or special events by going on the Temecula Valley Winegrowers Association website, www.temeculawines.org

Bailey Vineyard & Winery

(951) 699-6961

Wilson Creek Winery
35960 Rancho California Road
(951) 699-9463

WINE HOSTESS KATHLEEN WITH C0-OWNER RAY FALKNERWINE HOSTESS KATHLEEN WITH C0-OWNER RAY FALKNER

PLATE FILLING OMELETTEPLATE FILLING OMELETTE

THIS IS ONE BIG BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNETHIS IS ONE BIG BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE

patio dining behind the bars.patio dining behind the bars.

Comments