333 Universal Hollywood Drive, Los Angeles, California, 91608, United States

Expedia.com Sheraton.com Booking.com

Costs 41% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• MyVanity's Profile Photo

Pleasant Stay

I have stayed at this Sheraton only one night and having checked in at 2:30am and out at 11:00am, it was brief to say the least. I did not have a reservation but the night auditor (I wish I could remember her name) was very helpful and personable. In the room, the bed was comfortable and everything was clean that I could notice. My check out was speedy but efficient, which is a plus in my eyes.

Unique Quality: I didn't get to discover any of the facilities during my stay.

• bumpychick's Profile Photo

Perfect location for a visit to Universal Studios

The obvious reason for choosing this hotel is its close proximity to Universal Studios and City walk. It takes about 5 minutes to get to the gates of the theme park, or to the bottom end of city walk. Alternatively you can wait for the shuttle bus if you don't fancy the up hill walk. It is further away than the Hilton by about 1 minute's walk!
    The hotel itself is very luxurious; everything you would expect from a Sheraton hotel. The rooms have standard decor, but with the most amazingly comfortable beds and pillows. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant, as City Walk is so close by.

Unique Quality: There is a nice swimming pool in the central 'courtyard' area, which is generally very busy as Universal Studios doesn't offer any swimming/water park facilities.

More about Sheraton Universal Hotel

What a pit!

It was my misfortune to have stayed @ the Sheraton Universal for nine nights on consecutive weeks (10/10 - 15 & 10/18 - 20).

First stay: High floor room, thankfully facing away from Highway 101. The carpet was stained and frayed in places; the armchair & ottoman were also stained. Cell phone reception was abysmal. About six channels were available on the television. There was a leak under the sink (water would pool on the floor). Valet charges were outrageous (two men's dress shirts & two wool trousers cost $36!!!) and I was charged twice for it. Room service was rather slow, but the food was okay.

Second stay: Basement room, facing the pool. Felt like a dungeon. Noisy HVAC, had to call the engineer. Again limited TV & spotty service.

I'd avoid this dump if at all possible (there's a Hilton right next door).

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member twoworlds

Maybe all the poor reviews have had an impact because I experienced the opposite of most of the issues people wrote about. The hotel was clean, the staff helpful, my room nice, and the rate was good.

When we arrived, the valet attendant pulled me aside and offered to let me park in disabled. My mother is older, but not disabled, and he said he had noticed that my mother had some difficulty getting out of the car and walking, and they had pleny of space at the moment, so we could park in disabled parking (right near the front door) instead of in the multi level parking lot. This really did make it a lot easier and I was impressed that he had noticed and made this offer. That's service.

I'll admit that walking down to our room on the "terrace level" I was starting to get concerned. The hallways here are long, narrow and dim. The carpet and paint/wallpaper is dingy and needs to be replaced. I had my dog with me and was frankly getting annoyed that they had obviously put me in the old rooms because of the dog.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got in the room to find it was plenty spacious, clean and nicely decorated. It faced the pool area, which was much nicer than having a view of the freeways, and had access to a large outdoor terrace which made it very easy to take the dog out for her walks. The whole terrace area was swept and hosed down early every morning and the terrace pool area was sparkling clean the whole time. The bathroom was less than luxurious; fairly basic, but not bad. Just an ordinary bathroom in an older, LA chain hotel.

On the second night we stayed, there was a high school reunion in one of the ballrooms on the Terrace Level. At 11.30pm, the music was still going strong, and it was pretty loud. I called front desk to ask what time it would end, and they immediately sent someone to close all the doors for that ballroom and turn the music down a little. After that, it was still audible, but not disturbing. The next morning at checkout, I mentioned the inconvenience and asked if the hotel would reduce my rate. Since we had 2 rooms, they offered us a complimentary breakfast for all 4 of us, plus a (generous) reduction in the room rates. There was absolutely no hesitation, the desk attendant made the offer immediately and apologized for the disturbance. He didn't argue, he didn't try to tell me he had to get manager approval, he just handled it quickly to my satisfaction. This alone exceeds practically any hotel I've ever stayed at.

When I accidentally dropped the TV remote behind the bed and couldn't move the bed to reach it, someone had delivered a new one to my room within 5 minutes.

Overall, I'm rating this hotel above average - for the price, for a large hotel, for the age of the building it's still better than many I could compare it to.

Absolutely wonderful!

by TripAdvisor Member hyperchickmom

We recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights and paid $35 extra per night for "club lounge" (private lounge on the 9th floor with a nice view - it is 2 rooms converted to a lounge with tables, chairs, couch, tv) which included updated amenities, coffee, soda, hot hors d'oeuvres, cheese/fruit each evening...Also included each morning was continental breakfast which included scrambled eggs and bacon (sausage the next day). Hotel staff very pleasant! Location if going to Universal Studios was excellent as you right there and receive free shuttle. True, the hotel seems to be in need of updating in some areas, but overall it was truly a very nice family oriented hotel...Wish we had been there in warmer weather as we did not use the pool or sauna which was outside...california was having a "cold" spell the week we visited (thanksgiving time).

Rose Bowl trip of a lifetime!

We traveled from TX to see the RoseBowl game. Hotel staff was awesome! They welcomed over 400 TX residents and made our stay fantastic. Everyone there was helpful and we here in TX say, "THANKS YA'LL!!!"

disapointed

by TripAdvisor Member Hawaiimom

room was nice but expensive. I was Happy with the overall experience at first untill our bill came. My son played games on the TV and we understood that a fee would be applied, however, He stopped it to have dinner, and to go bathroom and now and than to join in the conversation. We got charged each time he stopped the game. Over 30 dollars. I called to complain and the frount desk was very smug and of NO help. We also looked at some items in the fridge and later found out if you touch it you buy it. Forget about looking at the nutritional bar on tne products, you pay for it no matter what. Our one night was $130.00 plus about 15% tax, plus $75.oo in room charges. Ridiculous. I will never go there again. Further more the walk to Universal is for athlelic people only. Super far with many stairs.

Horrible!!

What a horrible experience! We stayed here in late Jan. The rooms are small and cramped. The hotel is old and the furniture was all mismatched. There was no bell staff when we got there, and we had to wait at least 10 minutes to get anyone to help us with our bags. The food is mediocore. Save your money and go somewhere else.

Beware of the 20th Floor!

by TripAdvisor Member alexsndiego

We only stayed 1-night at the Sheraton during the middle of March on a weekend.

When we checked-in, the front desk clerk put on the 20th floor. Which is the highest floor for their rooms. We thought, "WOW". We got to the room and the view of the valley and of Universal Studios was tremendous. The room was only "OK" clean. The carpet was stained. The room was small. The bathroom is even smaller. No room for any of your personal toiletries. The bed was comfortable. I found hair in the tub. Eeek!

The worst part came when heard the party upstairs on what the hotel calls the "Roof Terrace". The party started around 8 pm. The roof terrace is a ballroom. The music was blasting and could be heard throughout the 20th floor. The bass from the music was shaking the walls. I could not sleep at all.

We called Guest Services and they apologized half heartedly. He mentioned that the party upstairs was authorized to play music unti midnight. The guest services rep only offered a comp on my parking ($16). I said that wasnt good enough. $16 wasnt going to get me to sleep. I asked him if he could move me. The clerk transferred me to the front desk. We had to pack all our lugguage at 9 pm and move.

The Front Desk transferred me to what they call a Lanai room. Its not in the main tower. It was nice and quiet. The room was same size as the tower room. It was facing toward their Satellite dish. Not much of a view, but very quiet. They also have Lanai rooms that face their pool. Pools are never quiet. This room was much cleaner. Obviously the maid in this section paid more attention to detail. We fell asleep pretty fast. They advertise those "Sweet Sleeper Beds" and they are great. I slept like a rock.

The hotel is walking distance to Universal Studios. Ask the clerk for the easiest route. Dont take the shuttle in the evening because it takes forever! The traffic getting into Universal Citywalk is bad at night. The traffic slows down the shuttle. Use the shuttle in the daytime only. Dont get a high floor room unless you can sleep with a party above your head.

This hotel is need of a serious upgrade and refurbishment. Overall, this hotel is over-priced for the room quality. But its all about location.

And by the way, I didnt get my parking comp-ed, because I didnt want to wait at the front desk at check-out. The hotel does not staff their front desk enough. There is always a line!

Sheraton------no way

by TripAdvisor Member stirlingshire_lass

What a rip off this place is, ---PLEASE read all the previous reviews, they are so true.
Check in is lengthy, parking expensive, pool area a joke. Hallways, dark, dirty and badly needing updated.
The tiny old fashioned. moldy bathroom and "don't be fooled by the Sweeter Sleeper bed" all they did was add a soft padding that doesn't fit mattress, which make is very uncomfortable.
Yes the Shuttle to Universal is free, and frequent. The view from our room was wonderful.
It is a very busy hotel (who can figure) I saw 5 different people complaining at the front desk, I was shown three different rooms, So I know they are all of the same Quality.
2 stars at the most and thats pushing it.

Comments