450 East Harbor Blvd., Ventura, California, 93001, United States

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 38% more and rated 11% lower than other 3 star hotels

• JaniePants's Profile Photo

Not for light sleepers

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a little getaway last summer. The hotel advertises as the only hotel in Ventura right on the beach, which immediately spelled PEACE & QUIET to me!

The desk staff was very friendly and accomodating when I checked in, however, the management staff was standing in a group having a few laughs in FRONT of the elevators while guests were struggling with luggage, kids, etc. and had to squeeze past them. NOT a great sign!

The room was very nice with a semi-ocean view. Great beds, BEAUTIFUL linens, and little care package with CD, lavender spray, eye mask & ear plugs.

I was staying in a room furthest away from the ocean but was thrilled to have a view from my balcony. That is until I heard the train whistle. Yes, tracks run RIGHT NEXT TO this hotel and the train stops there several times during the day and night, each time blowing the extremely loud whistle! It actually made me laugh it was so obnoxious... and the glass door muffles the sound well but then you don't get the ocean air :(

Upon checking out I had my next surprise, a $20 charge for parking in their lot for an hour when I first checked in. I went out to dinner and when I arrived back at the hotel there was no room in the parking lot so I had to park in the parking structure next door and walk alone in the dark to the hotel. When I questioned this charge and explained I only was in the lot for an hour, I was told there is a sign that shows there is a charge for guests to use their parking lot. After I paid my bill I drove over to the lot where there are NO SIGNS regarding guests having to pay. I called the manager who took this charge off my bill, but what a JOKE. Paying nearly $200 a night for a room and then to get hit with parking fees on top of it.

This hotel IS NOT up to Crowne Plaza's standards overall. I know they can't advertise the "noisy train whistle several times a night" but they should DEFINATELY be more accomodating to their guests. I will never stay there again, the parking fee turned me off so much, along with the train whistle.

Ventura has a lot of great hotels and you can get a beautiful room plus a super dinner for the price of a Crowne Plaza room.

• Great Beach Hotel

We had a great stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. The outside rooms on both sides of the hotel have great views of the ocean and the hills of Ventura. It is located right on a beach path where you will see lots of people jogging, rollerblading, etc. There is a fun little bar in the hotel lobby and during our stay there was a jazz band playing. Although the hotel is located only a few blocks from downtown (main street) you have to walk under the highway and across the railroad tracks-it is not the safest walk in the world, so just try to be aware of your surroundings.
    The rooms are all very clean and the staff is pretty helpful. Parking can sort of be a pain in the "main lot." When go into the hotel entrance off of the street you have to drive completely through the lot because you cant turn around in front of the hotel. The lot is fairly small, so if you find a spot that is great! However, there is a parking garage on the other side of the hotel that you can park in if you cant find a place in the main lot.
    There are plenty of restaurants located right next to the hotel or down a few blocks in downtown ventura. Definately one of the best choices for hotels in the area!

Directions: On the ocean side of the 101 North, right across from downtown

• HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

The jewel on the ocean

I stayed at this spot for 3 weeks in Jan 2008. Actually I'm in the room writing this tip, as my job has extended my tenure on the west coast. This hotel is a remodeled Holiday Inn, so there are so setbacks, namely the small bathrooms. The sinks have no counter space, there's nowhere to lay your items. Other than that I've enjoyed my stay. Great room service, jazz in the downstairs bar on the weekends, easy to access treadmills on the 2nd floor and laundry on the 3rd. The location is the best in Ventura, though the oceanfront rooms are not flush with the ocean, you get a side view of sorts.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. Within walking distance to everything.

Directions: Next to the Ventura Pier

More about Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

Enjoyed this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ps200306

Nice room, nice location on Ventura Harbour (scenically nice, that is ... the area has a slightly seedy feel). The restaurant across the courtyard beside the hotel was good, with friendly service.

A welcome break

by TripAdvisor Member Noreen_8

After a long flight from New York and a new experience driving in the USA we were more than relieved to reach the Crown Plaza at Ventura. We stayed there for one night on the 25th April. The hotel is currently under renovation and I was concerned about noise but experienced none. I have to say the room was huge and one of the biggest beds that we have slept in. The hotel is just off the freeway and very easy to find, we opted to use the restaurant on the 12th floor for dinner and that was fine, breakfast was served in the same location the next morning. Would highly recommend this property.

A Mixed Bag

by TripAdvisor Member strathj

Thanks to TripAdvisor, we already knew about the construction at this facility (as part of relabeling a Holiday Inn as a Crowne Plaza), but friends had already chosen the Crowne Plaza as our place to stay. The construction is in late stages, mostly impacts the ground floor at this stage, and did not have an obvious impact on our stay--although it made it difficult to determine how many of our complaints concern problems that might be fixed in the near future.

The Good:

Great location right on the beach (but may be foggy depending on the season). 3-5 blocks--depending how you count--from a delightful "old Ventura" shopping area with lots of upscale restaurants, antique shops, and gift shops. Refurbished rooms are clean, and--well--newly refurbished.

The Cons: (1) On arrival, the WIFI did not work without a lengthy conversation with someone at some 800 phone number; (2) Check-In folks forgot to turn on the telephone; (3) Leaking toilet was not properly fixed after request--I did better myself; (4) $8 parking fee in a suburban area; (4) Small bathroom with no "ZERO" counter space; (5) no phone on desk; (6) No chairs on porch/lanai, despite good view of beach, pier and plaza with constant craft faires; (7) TINY!! (1 ft of clothes hanging space) closet; (8) Static on TV reception; (9) ;Room is small; (10) Insufficient hot water supply during early morning prime time ; (11) Closet door jammed--not properly installed; (12) Electronic door "key" needed to be used repeatedly to get into room [why would you spend much $$ to upgrade afacility and keep antiquated security system?]; and (13) Poor sound proofing between room and hall--we heard everying "ding" from the elevator all night.

And, NO, the room did not contain a "Comment Card".

--Jeff Strathmeyer

Big disapointment

by TripAdvisor Member TravelCaptain

I booked our stay at the crown plaza because of an event we were attending. As pulled into the parking lot things went down hill right away. The hotel has been, still is and will be for quite awhile in major renovation. There were serveral large storage containers and contractor vehicles taking up parking spaces in an already limited parking lot. It was apparent general public beach goers were also using the parking lot. The hotel charges you $8.00 a day to park in this lot, if you can find a spot. Having paid does not seem to guarantee you a parking spot.

The front of the hotel was tore up as well. We had to dodge workmen to enter the hotel and make our way to a make shift reception desk. The staff was less than cheerful and appeared to have resigned themselves to dealing with unhappy guests.

At this point I am thinking I am going to regret staying here?
We made our way through a maze of temporary partitions to the elevators. The journey to our room was filled with unpleasant smells of a construction zone. Once we got to our rooms we were somewhat relieved to find a renovated room that was simple yet stylish. The best thing about the whole stay was the comfortable bed and nice 'real' bed linens.

The resturaunt that was advertised was non-exisistent and a temporary room was set up to fill this need. This situation could not have even passed a bad coffee shop.

We went to an event at the top of the hotel and found the room was not even set up yet. The beverages that were being served were outrageous in price and of very low quality. The bartender
was rude and had the personality of a boil.

This hotel is not in condition to have guests. They would be far better of f closing and getting the work done faster.
Take my advice and do not stay here for at least 1 year. Maybe by then they will have finished and hired a more pleasant staff.

Overpriced, "under renovated"

by TripAdvisor Member spikeandchopper

We two ladies of a certain age stayed here last weekend because of the proximity to the Ventura County Fair. Reservations were booked online in May with a State Government rate of $84. The hotel charges extra for every additional person in the room over one! The best available rate was listed as $169 and this week it's over $200 but you will NOT be happy if you pay that much. The reservation desk people were very nice but when we went to our room it had only one bed and they said that our request for two beds was not guaranteed. With some coaxing they were able to find another room with two beds and the room was adequate. I was aware of the renovations going on thanks to Tripadvisor and in fact checked out the progress with a short visit a couple of weeks ago. The management said the room renovations are complete but seemed very incomplete to us. Doors had been repainted but had multiple holes where the security device had been moved and the light switches were put on crooked. The hotel is old so there's not much to be done about the size of the bathroom which is tiny, not even room to put a small cosmetic bag. There was a balcony but no chairs to sit on (lots of freeway noise with the door open).The air conditioner was also very old and noisy but worked and kept the room comfortable. As has already been stated by another tripadvisor member, there is very little closet space and no luggage racks for the suitcases, so we used the floor. The beds are comfortable and the room size was fine. We did not eat there or have room service but the steak house across the plaza was open until 11pm and had good appetizers. There are lots of good restaurants within walking distance and the hotel location is the main reason for staying there. We never had to move our car once parked (at $8/day). I'm sure once the public areas are renovated the hotel will receive more positive reviews but even then it's still way overpriced at their regular rates.

Disappointing due to renovations and proximity to highway and track

by TripAdvisor Member AV_Montreal_Can

We stayed there for 3 nights in early august. When we reserved we were lead to believe the renovations would be completed but it is far from being the case.

On the positive side
---------------------------
Nicely decorated room, good beds, a/c working well

On the less positive side
-----------------------------------
- Difficult to relax around the pool due to construction activities;
- Hotel is also next to the highway and the railroad tracks. Relaxing on the balcony is out of the question (there was no chairs for us either)
- The water out of the a/c units is left to run on the balcony floors and drip down. So forget to stick your head out the balcony
- Bathroom is very small and has no shelf space

I felt I paid the price for a major hotel but did not get any of the goodies coming with it

In conclusion, it is opverpriced, not only because of the renovations but because of the outside noise. I think it is far better to be further away, even if not on the beach

Comments