Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach

JaniePants's Profile Photo

Not for light sleepers

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 7, 2008

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for a little getaway last summer. The hotel advertises as the only hotel in Ventura right on the beach, which immediately spelled PEACE & QUIET to me!

The desk staff was very friendly and accomodating when I checked in, however, the management staff was standing in a group having a few laughs in FRONT of the elevators while guests were struggling with luggage, kids, etc. and had to squeeze past them. NOT a great sign!

The room was very nice with a semi-ocean view. Great beds, BEAUTIFUL linens, and little care package with CD, lavender spray, eye mask & ear plugs.

I was staying in a room furthest away from the ocean but was thrilled to have a view from my balcony. That is until I heard the train whistle. Yes, tracks run RIGHT NEXT TO this hotel and the train stops there several times during the day and night, each time blowing the extremely loud whistle! It actually made me laugh it was so obnoxious... and the glass door muffles the sound well but then you don't get the ocean air :(

Upon checking out I had my next surprise, a $20 charge for parking in their lot for an hour when I first checked in. I went out to dinner and when I arrived back at the hotel there was no room in the parking lot so I had to park in the parking structure next door and walk alone in the dark to the hotel. When I questioned this charge and explained I only was in the lot for an hour, I was told there is a sign that shows there is a charge for guests to use their parking lot. After I paid my bill I drove over to the lot where there are NO SIGNS regarding guests having to pay. I called the manager who took this charge off my bill, but what a JOKE. Paying nearly $200 a night for a room and then to get hit with parking fees on top of it.

This hotel IS NOT up to Crowne Plaza's standards overall. I know they can't advertise the "noisy train whistle several times a night" but they should DEFINATELY be more accomodating to their guests. I will never stay there again, the parking fee turned me off so much, along with the train whistle.

Ventura has a lot of great hotels and you can get a beautiful room plus a super dinner for the price of a Crowne Plaza room.

Great Beach Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 15, 2008

We had a great stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. The outside rooms on both sides of the hotel have great views of the ocean and the hills of Ventura. It is located right on a beach path where you will see lots of people jogging, rollerblading, etc. There is a fun little bar in the hotel lobby and during our stay there was a jazz band playing. Although the hotel is located only a few blocks from downtown (main street) you have to walk under the highway and across the railroad tracks-it is not the safest walk in the world, so just try to be aware of your surroundings.
The rooms are all very clean and the staff is pretty helpful. Parking can sort of be a pain in the "main lot." When go into the hotel entrance off of the street you have to drive completely through the lot because you cant turn around in front of the hotel. The lot is fairly small, so if you find a spot that is great! However, there is a parking garage on the other side of the hotel that you can park in if you cant find a place in the main lot.
There are plenty of restaurants located right next to the hotel or down a few blocks in downtown ventura. Definately one of the best choices for hotels in the area!

Directions: On the ocean side of the 101 North, right across from downtown

HotSpotJ's Profile Photo

The jewel on the ocean

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 27, 2008

I stayed at this spot for 3 weeks in Jan 2008. Actually I'm in the room writing this tip, as my job has extended my tenure on the west coast. This hotel is a remodeled Holiday Inn, so there are so setbacks, namely the small bathrooms. The sinks have no counter space, there's nowhere to lay your items. Other than that I've enjoyed my stay. Great room service, jazz in the downstairs bar on the weekends, easy to access treadmills on the 2nd floor and laundry on the 3rd. The location is the best in Ventura, though the oceanfront rooms are not flush with the ocean, you get a side view of sorts.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location. Within walking distance to everything.

Directions: Next to the Ventura Pier

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Ventura Travel Forum

Need advice about Ventura, California? Visit the Travel Forum for Ventura and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Ventura hotel reviews

Harbor Village
Figueroa Plaza
Catch a flick at Century Theatre
Things to Do
Shopping in a cool ocean breeze
Beauty and Inspiration
Grear bar scene
Check out Wine Lovers in Ventura on April 14
Great Surfing Spots
George Stuart Collections - Ventura Museum
Free Wheeling Exhibit - Ventura Museum
Things to Do
For ladies who love wine and other ladies
Unique bikes from Wheel Fun Rentals
City Hall - the Old Courthouse
Mission San Buenaventura
Olivas Adobe
Mission San Buenaventura
Never Again!!!
Best Burritos EVER
Restaurants
LOVE this place! perfect for special occasions!
PEIRANO'S MARKET
CHINA TREASURE BOX
CHILI CHEESE DOGS
MISSION COURTYARD
MISSION SAN BUENAVENTURA
Serra Cross at Grant Park
Clothes shopping
Favorites
At the far end of Main St.
Nightlife
Enjoy a meal in the Harbor
Enjoy a Sunset with your Salmon
Main Street
Terrific sandwiches
Downtown Ventura
Things to Do
Why the beach of course.