Four Points Hotel Ventura Harbortown

FourPoints.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Embarrassing wedding weekend

Easily the worst experience I've ever had with a hotel.

We regretably chose to book a room at the Four Points by Sheraton in Ventura, CA through our wedding venue which is a couple of miles away. We got the suite booked through the wedding venue and we had 5 other rooms booked for family members.

Day 1 at the hotel began with issues with 3 of the 6 room heaters not working, plumbing issues caused by clogged hair, and multiple room keys not working.

Day 2 at the hotel was the wedding day and was pretty hectic with all that needed to be done. At one point, room 335 could not be accessed by anyone including the guest or maintenance, leaving my mother waiting outside in the cold for about 30 minutes while they tried to open her door. When she complained about this to the front desk they coldly asked her what she would like done about it. I mentioned to them about the multitude of issues that we had experienced in that short time and they offered to comp my mother's $10 parking charge for the day. BTW, I'm not quite sure where the parking charge goes, but you can go into their parking lot at any time without a ticket and I never saw a security guard patrolling the lot.

Around 12am we returned from the wedding where the front desk staff member congratulated us on getting married. He then handed us two paper bags with a curled up ribbon on top of each. We thanked him and went up to our room. The bags consisted of: 1 bruised apple with a few small bug-sized holes in it, 1 warm bottled water, 1 offbrand cereal bar, 6 or 7 mints, 1 letter telling us how awesome Four Points by Sheraton is, 1 advertisment telling us to book a spa day with them (no discounts), and one business card for their spa employee.

Day 3 we were woken up by the staff at 9am informing us that our credit card which had been used to book two of the rooms was declined. I had plenty of cash on me so we agreed that I would go find another card and bring it down to them in the next two hours, which would give everyone in my party a chance to wake up. After leaving the room 15 minutes later to grab something from the car, I stopped at my mother's room to find out she had just slipped on the floor in the bathroom. She was ok, but her ankle and shoulder were hurting her. I gave her the cash for the hotel rooms and she agreed to let me use her card. At this point, we just decided that we would checkout together at 10:45am and take care of everything at the same time.

I returned to my room and I'm locked out. I go downstairs and ask why my key isn't working. They inform me that it's because my credit card got declined for those two rooms. At this point,It has only been 30 minutes since we received the call from the front desk about this issue. I reminded them that they said 2 hours. I also asked them why our suite (which was paid for by the wedding venue) was locked when it has nothing to do with the card that was holding the other two rooms. Claire, the front desk clerk, gave no response and unlocked our room.

While I was packing up, I called back to the front desk and asked to speak with the manager. She did her best to minimize my complaints and ultimately offered me the comped $10 parking deal (is this your go-to move for everything???) to which I declined. I asked to speak with her boss and she agreed to call me back. When she called me back she informed me that he was out of town and wasn't going to deal with this today.

We then went downstairs where I returned their wedding presents and asked to speak to the manager. While getting the names of the staff that we had issues with and the corporate number so we could file a complaint an officer walks in and starts speaking with another front desk staff member. He stated that he's here because there's a complaint of a credit card being declined. It has now been 1 hour and 45 minutes since we agreed on two hours and the room had been officially paid for 5 minutes prior to that. I had to explain to the officer in front of my family, friends, and in-laws that I am not in fact trying to scam anyone, instead that they agreed upon two hours and that the room was paid for.

I found out later that my brother's girlfriend's card was declined and another card was declined by friends of ours. When the front desk re-ran their cards, it went through fine. I checked my bank account Monday morning at I had enough to cover those rooms 4 times over. Their corporate office is unwilling to intervene after we complained stating that the manager (Victor), who wasn't there and wouldn't call me the day that we were having issues, stands behind his staff and won't investigate into this issue. Victor did tell the corporate office that he's investigating into a bar tab and restaurant tab that weren't paid for (we never ate at the restaurant, and paid and tipped heavily on two small bar tabs) but wouldn't officially accuse us.

If I could give this hotel negative stars I would.

• Roeffie's Profile Photo

Excellent hotel in the Harbour Area

Resort like setting on 17 acres. Only hotel overlooking ventura harbor. Close to shopping recreational activ & area bus.
    152 rooms. 3 stories. Built in 1983. Renovated in 1997.

Comments