Wasco Union High School~NLP #97001188
Wasco Union High School Auditorium is on the National List of Register Historical Places - #97001188 you can see the plaque on the front of the auditorium on the left side near the lamp post.
Located at 1900 Seventh St., Wasco, Ca
Once called Dewey and Deweyville after the railroad made its way through here back in 1897, a settler suggested it be renamed Wasco. His name was William Bonham who was from Wasco County in Oregon, so in 1900 the Post Office was established as Wasco. It has several meanings, "Hot" or "A large body of water" or even “a cup or small bowl made of bone" given the Wasco weather. Wasco was established as a colony in 1907 by the Kern County Board of Trade. M.U. Hartcraft who was head of a Los Angeles land agency called the California Home Extension Association, purchased many acres of land from the Kern County Land Company for development.
So California Home Extension Association developers began a nationwide advertising campaign promoting the sale of home and farm lots in. So hundreds of families began in fluxing with even seeing it in person. It became apparent the water was going to be a problem to support this colony. Sadly many left due to not having water rights. Yet, many did stay and toughed it out and now Wasco is what it is today from those hardy settlers.
Wasco crops are rose fields, almond and pistachio orchards, sugar beets, grapes, many varieties of fruits and vegetables, and white cotton fields. A community rich in agriculture.