Hotel Le Petit West Hollywood

8822 Cynthia St, (formerly Valadon Hotel), West Hollywood, California, 90069, United States
Petit Ermitage
Travelocity Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Hotel Le Petit West Hollywood

My stay over Valadon Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member remon

I spent a few nights in West Hollywood at the Valadon hotel for some local business. The property is located in a residential area, just steps from the Sunset Strip where my business took me. I really wanted to werite something good about this property because after reading a couple of bad reviews, I was hesitant to book a reservation. Nevertheless, the rate was great and worth the gambl. In reality, my experience there was great. The rooms were large and clean, the staff was very nice(hello Ann!) , and the roof top pool was amazing. Over all, based on my experience, I will definitely return there.

Can't believe the Valadon has so many mixed reviews - it's great!

Looking through the previous reviews I can't believe we stayed in the same hotel. We stayed at the Valadon for 5 nights in August, as part of a family trip to Hollywood from the UK. Could have booked for longer, but were concerned by all the adverse comments on this site. We needn't have worried, the Valadon was much better than we had hoped!

We were pleasantly surprised with the appearance of the Valadon - decor is light and modern, with corridors lined by framed works of modern art.

We booked 2 Junior suites on the second floor. These were roomy, well sound-proofed, modern and very comfortable, including the beds! Carpets were fine. Rooms were air-conditioned, not a noisy box on the wall, as in so many places, but a fully programmable unit. They also have a natural effect fire, but we'd no need for this in the middle of Summer. TV had a vast selection of channels, so the younger members of the family were happy. There was a mini bar had we felt the need, and although no coffee maker was provided, that didn't bother us. There was a phone, (but we didn't succeed in dialing out!) and even a fax machine, although this had the disadvantage of providing a flashing light all the time, even at night.

The decor in the bathroom was more dated than the rest of the room, but was clean, and again was very well equipt, even including a bathroom cabinet and phone.

The hotel has a rooftop pool and hot tub, with spectacular views, up to Sunset Boulevard on one side, and across LA on the other. Pool size was a disapointment - probably no more than 30 foot in length - enough to play around in, but not for serious swimming.

Hotel staff were very helpful for tourist questions, and there's internet access available in the lobby if needed. There's also a small gym if that's your thing.

Main disadvantage of the Valadon from the family perspective was that there is no dining room, so if you want to eat in the hotel, e.g. for breakfast, it has to be by room service. This is available 24 hours a day, good quality, but is an expensive option compared with other hotels. We had breakfast served by the pool a couple of times, which was very pleasant. We did notice a dining room adjacent to the pool, but it wasn't open when we were there, or maybe just in the evenings or for corporate events.

There are some very good restaurants within 10 minutes walk from the hotel, but being on Sunset Strip they can be a little pricey for a family. Eating out for breakfast is a short drive, (Mel's Diner, or I-HOP are close by).

The hotel is situation immediately downhill from Sunset Strip ( about 5 minutes walk) in a quite residential area. It's quite a steep climb. Santa Monica Boulevard is the same distance the other way. We were concerned that this central location may have made it noisy late at night, but quite the contrary. There's limited parking in the road, but there's gated parking for hotel residents, accessed with your room key. Thus is convenient, and at an extra charge, but we knew this beforehand. Space is limited, and parking is tricky if you're driving anything over a mid-sized car.

We were highly impressed by the Valadon, and can't understand the adverse comments. Maybe different types of rooms? We'd definitely stay there again!

Good and bad points

by TripAdvisor Member XenaWarriorPrincess

Ok..well, we had a massive problem when checking into the hotel. We pulled up late at night outside the hotel in our hired car whilst we checked in as the underground parking gates were locked, and were horrified to find that when we went to get the car to park it in the hotel garage ($18 per night!) that we had been issued with a parking ticket! We were literally in the reception area for 10 minutes and were irriated to say the least. I mean, what are you supposed to do, stop the car in the middle of the street whilst you check in? Anyway, we informed the receptionist that night on the phone and he said he would 'tell them to take it off immediately' (like they are going to do that!) We were not satisfied with this and went down to speak to the receptionist as we felt he was humouring us. He then informed us that a letter would be drafted from the hotel to the Parking office in LA explaining what had happened. We were not convinced by this either and we requested to see a copy of the letter (to retain it) before we checked out a few days later. He assured us that a letter would be waiting for us when we checked out. However, when we checked out, there was no letter, surprise surprise! The worst thing was, the same guy on reception (the general dogsbody) and the 'accountant' hadnt communicated or something (bearing in mind, it was a small residential hotel), and each were blaming each other for the letter not having been typed. The 'accountant', after giving us daggers, then went and typed the letter, which took 30 minutes. When the receptionist gave us it back, she had not dated it, put an address on to where it was going to, nor could not differentiate as to whether I was male or female (as in typing Mr, instead of Mrs or Miss etc) on the letter. Amazing. After reading the rest of the 'comments' on the drafted letter, it was an understatement to say the least, that I was unhappy, so I asked for it to be typed again, and the flustered receptionist at this point was looking like he was wishing he had never been born! In the end, we got the letter, some 20 minutes later, and had to leave it at that as we had a flight to catch. When we came home, we made sure we sent a letter to the parking office in Los Angeles, as well as our hired car company just on the 'off chance' that the Valadon Hotel did not send our letter. This was totally the fault of the hotel and Im sure they have a private parking attendant close by, just waiting to pounce on you if you chose not to take them up on their 'parking facilities'. Setting aside that...
The room was basic, not the cleanest, and considering it was a junior suite, it was tiny and of poor standards. There was no complimentary breakfast, and what was on the menu, for all meals, was very expensive. The rooftop pool was nice, but small, however, we overheard complaints from guests as were checking out that there were unmentionable floating things in the hot-tub. The best thing about the hotel, is the nice view from the rooftop, and also the close proximty to sunset boulevard. Also, the gay scene was literally down the road, so that was handy for the 'gay' traveller.

awesome

I booked a trip to Hollywood on expedia. I was coming in from Rochester NY and i was a little concerned with the hotel that i had selected. I had read some bad reviews, but then some good reviews. I crossed my fingers until we got there and i was shocked. The Valadon was Great!! It was very clean, the maids were awesome, the front desk staff was great (especially this guy named Grant, if you need to know where to eat, ask him). I never saw one bug, i never heard any noise, and i slept well on the bed. I thought the room was beautiful and the location was nice. We walked up to Sunset strip a few times as well as santa monica blvd. It is in walking distance from a lot of gay bars, but that area is a gay area, i am straight so it was different. Over all, i felt that i needed to set the story straight and and say that the Valadon was awesome and i LOVED it. I plan on going back next year. The only downfall was that there was no cafe or any food courts in the hotel, but that was fine. I HIGHLY RECOMEND THIS HOTEL TO EVERYONE!

great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member lambert47

just got back from a 2 week stay at the valadon,what can i say!!?? what a fantastic time was had, the hotel is in a great location just down from sunset and just up from santa monica! hotel was very clean, bed sheets,carpet,bathroom,towels, maids changed beds every day new toiletries every day,welcome drink and fruit basket, free daily papers,free maps, comfortable beds, fantastic view from the roof, wonderful pool and hot tub,really pretty at night with the twinkle lights,staff really friendly and helpful,free use of safe,free use of coffee machine,room service happy to serve on roof by pool,front desk staff are happy to book attraction tickets for you,only one down fall the car parking is $18 a night,but the garage is gated and secure.would definately stay again and recommend it to everyone 100%.

I'm soooo furious with this place.

by TripAdvisor Member MrsSmithSydney

I booked for a week in late May on April 21. On April 26 I cancelled it via email. On May 19 I received a reminder email from the Valadon regarding the upcoming visit. I immediately responded to this and told them yet again that I had cancelled the booking.

On May 30 they debited my Mastercard with a nights accomodation charge. I emailed them AGAIN and attached both emails with the previous 2 cancellations. I heard nothing, I contacted them again, and this time they asked me to again forward the cancellation emails.

So, 7 emails and 4 weeks later I am no closer to getting my refund. So buyer beware, once you book here and hand over your credit card details it doesn't matter how much notice you give, they will still debit your card. It's a complete scam. Quite illegally of course, but they arrogantly assume that you won't sue for a few hundred bucks. Boy, have I got news for them.

Eager to please!

I was hesitant after reading the reviews. I arrived and had to wait on my room even though it was at least an hour after check-in. I have a lot of nice things to say about the staff at the Valadon. Everyone was nice and very eager to please. I found the room to be clean but really in need of an update. The mattress was rather uncomfortable, but resourceful as I am, I just flipped it and everything was fine. I will tell you that I was shocked to find a $19.60 occupancy charge per night. This is somthing you think that they would post on their website. I only tried room service once, the presentation was nice and the food was tasty and hot. I also had a cake baked to surprise my daughter. Beautifully done and I want to thank them for this. If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place. If you are looking for comfort and a place to cook your own meals, then this is a great place to stay. I can honestly say that any complaint or problem was resolved. I do wish that they would shampoo the carpets!!

Pleasant Surprise

I was very skeptical about staying here after reading all of the terrible reviews. I am glad that I did stay here. It was a great location. The hotel did not smell. The room was clean. The bed was very comfortable. The hot tub was hot and the pool was warm. The room service was prompt and the food was good. Everyone was very helpful and polite. I will definitely stay here again.

great location

by TripAdvisor Member circuitboitravel

The hotel is in a great location, right close to all the gay clubs! I didn't find any drawbacks to this place other than there is not to much street parking and you have to pay 18.00 to park your car. The staff was very friendly, and the pool deck was lovely to lay out on. I would high recommend this spot to any Gay Traveler.

way overpriced

by TripAdvisor Member finland2

This was probably a small apartment building in the old days that was remodeled into a hotel. It has parking in the basement for additional high fees, not disclosed before booking. It is illegal to park on street. Room is ordinary 2 double beds but they put a little short fence between the beds and then call it a suite. There's no coffee maker, refigerator, or microwave , only a little refigerator to which they attached a lock and stocked it with high priced little bottles of vodka, cola and candy bars. The furniture is vintage 1960, clean but tacky. The pictures in the hall they promote as original art are small amateur renditions of what was called modern art in the sixies, smudges of red and blue with a few line strokes here and there, stuff you would have to leave on the back steps of a thrift store when no body was around. They charge a hefty local telephone rate without posting it. My unexpected total was $70 and when I protested I got a cold stare from the desk clerk and no relief. If we would have looked in our AAA book we could have got a better room for half the price with free parking at Day's Inn by HollyWood high school. We have no real gripes with this place other than it's an ordinary place marketing itself as uptown. When we first went in the front door we realized we were being had and when we asked if we could cancel our reservation they said no cancellations, we were responsible for the the whole week's reservation. So we spent the week there even though we didn't want to. This experience taught me to ignore expedia's start ratings and read through trip advisor feedback instead.

Sunset BlvdSunset Blvd

Sunset BlvdSunset Blvd

Metro bus in WeHo, greater L.A.Metro bus in WeHo, greater L.A.

prideful West Hollywood, Californiaprideful West Hollywood, California