Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel

Hotels.com Ramada.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Unbelievable behavior!

My wife gave birth three months ago by Cesarean section and we had our family in from Chicago staying around the corner, at the Ramada Inn West Hollywood on Santa Monica Boulevard. I am a pediatrician and teach on faculty at UCLA. When we stay at hotels in Los Angeles, we usually stay at The W in downtown Los Angeles, or in Westwood as we’re Starwood Preferred Guest members, but because my family couldn’t afford the W, we had them stay in the most convenient and cost effective hotel in our neighborhood so that they could attend the joy of my daughter’s birth
    Unfortunately, my wife had an experience this morning with the Ramada Inn West Hollywood that leaves me furious. She took a short walk with our infant in her stroller and had to use the restroom in a hurry. My wife has had complications after her C-section, including bleeding. She stopped in the Ramada Inn West Hollywood and saw a women’s restroom four feet from the front desk. She asked the Front Desk clerk (a blonde guy) whether she might use the restroom.
    This employee told her, “no, it’s for registered guests only.” My wife told him it was an emergency. She said that she had just had a baby. He peered around the corner to verify that there was an infant in her stroller. “Ma’am, there’s a Starbucks around the corner.” My wife told him she was bleeding. “If you’re bleeding, you’ll need to walk down to the Emergency Room at Cedars-Sinai hospital.” My wife begged him to use the restroom quickly and was told no. She took a step toward the restroom. The employee looked to his right and left and asked, “ma’am, do I have to call security?” My wife left in tears.

After working up the courage to return to ask for the employee’s name, she was greeted by another Front Desk clerk named Amir. She asked for the blonde man’s name. “Adam.” When she asked for his last name, she was told that that information is privileged and for registered guests only. My wife told Amir that her sister-in-law and her family had just stayed in the hotel. “What’s their last name?” She told him my sister’s last name and he looked through his computer to tell her, “No, ma’am, no one by that name has ever stayed here.” She asked to leave a comment. He began to hand over a comment card sitting on the Front Desk, and then snatched it back. “Comments are to be left by registered guests only.”

My wife left again terribly upset. She’s upset by the way she looks and feels after her pregnancy. She feels as if she was treated like an insane homeless person waiting to vandalize the restroom. Our family has stayed here in the recent past, but you can be sure that neither our immediate nor our extended family will stay here ever again.

Unique Quality: This place is a dump.

• Travler409's Profile Photo

Centrally Located

It had a Trader's Joe on one side and a whole bunch of bistros surrounding it. The room looked down on a gym and early one morning I looked out to see women in aerobic suits going in and coming out.

Directions: Not far from the Theatre District. In between the 101 and the 405.

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Not my idea of the good life

I can't recommend the Ramada Plaza. It's possible that things look better on the second or third floors, but the fourth floor might as well have been made from cardboard given the amount of sound transmitted through the walls. I heard the couple on one side until the wee hours, and someone on the other got up at six o'clock and immediately turned on the television. Not delightful. Although the weather was mild, I had to keep the air conditioner on to drown out the noise from Santa Monica Boulevard. The housekeeping staff removed all washcloths after the first day of my stay and didn't return any until the third day, despite a request. No new soap was ever provided. The swimming pool was inexplicably closed during most of my stay. Internet access is available...for fifty cents per minute! Oh, and it doesn't have an airport shuttle. Expect to pay $50 for a cab from LAX.

Directions: Junction of LaCienega and Santa Monica

More about Ramada Plaza West Hollywood Hotel

Good value for traveler without a car

My wife and I stayed at the Ramada Plaza West Hollywood for 5 nights. We arrived at the Ramada on Dec. 5th at 11am and received a room within an hour. The room had a TV, bureau, table, 2 beds, small fridge, bathroom, and cooling/heating system. It was a decent room that provided us with what we needed. The fridge especially gave us the opportunity to buy and store some water, juice, and milk for the 6 days we were there. Water pressure was good. Channels to keep you occupied were the weather channel, espn, local news stations, headline news and HBO. It was chilly at the beginning of the week so we had to use the heater for a little bit. Nice and warm in the room. The maids started their rounds at about 11am.

The Ramada is located on Santa Monica Blvd with easy access to public transportation. You can take the bus to Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills; only $1.25 fare or you can buy a day pass for $3.00. The Ramada is near the Dash (25 cent buses, no transfers) bus that can take you to Sunset Blvd & Hollywood Blvd's Walk of Fame and Grauman's Chinese Theater (10 min ride), or you can take the Dash to the Beverly Center (shopping Mall). The Ramada is a 7 minute walk to Melrose & La Cienega Blvd where you can take the Dash to CBS Television City (Price is Right) and the Farmers Market (beautiful outside mall).

Eateries outside the Ramada: Koo Koo Roo, Subway, Pizza Hut (next block over) and Panini's Cafe(next door). The Ramada also provides a Free USA Today newspaper in the lobby at around 730am.
Negative thing about the place is that the walls are thin. You can hear others in the room next to you if they speak loud. Suggestion is to speak low.

Does the Job

This hotel is located in a good area. Yes, there was a small charge for using the safe but well worth it to keep your valuables secure. The staff and concierge were OK but not very helpful. There is a bus stop 100 metres from the hotel. Just average but it was sufficient for our needs. A king size room with fridge, we paid $90US/night.

A good location choice.

No major complaints, the room was comfortable if a little cramped but clean and the staff were helpful.
Best feature was the location; a lot of restaurants shops, bus etc within easy walking distance, the general area seems safe.
The hotel is situated in a gay area. May not be suitable for families, I mention this because at the pool side table I found some explicit gay magazines, interesting reading but not really my cup of tea ;-)
Downside was the parking charge $20 per night (I confidently predict that it will soon cost as much to park your car as book a room in most American hotels) also our room overlooked the parking lot at the back of the hotel and there was some noise night and day particularly with car alarms.
Santa Monica and the beach is a short car or bus ride away and is well worth a visit.
Recommended bar/restaurant is Barneys Beanery, an old route 66 roadhouse, turn left out of hotel, cross road junction, walk a few hundred yards, an IHOP is on your left, behind is Barneys, I can recommend the Guinness, Cheers ;-))

Better Before The Facelift

by TripAdvisor Member washdctravel

The hotel has undergone some redevelopment, with its restaurant on Santa Monica Blvd. now gone. It's a shame, because it was a convenient and cheap place to eat.

But the place is still in a great location, and the rooms are of a decent size and standard. The hotel just sadly seems to have lost some of its character in the makeover.

One drawback is the walls in the rooms, which can be a bit thin - especially if have to put up with a drunken couple next door arguing at 3am like I suffered!

misleading and decieving

It was nothing that in claimed to be. There are NO resturants or car rental on site. The $22.00 a day fee w/valet parking for registered guests is just a rip-off. It should be stated it is in a gay and lesbian community not a straight family enviroment.

a decent place to stay cheap

This hotel had a nice lobby, nice front desk staff, nice conceierge(sp) and decent rooms.

The beds were hard and furnishings looked to be from the 1980's. But everything was clean and worked properly.

I *might* stay at this hotel again. It is VERY basic but good if you don't plan to stay a long time in the room itself.

Also it is misleading the restaraunt and Starbucks are not in the hotel. They are connected to the hotel. You DO have to go outside and walk a little to get there.

The community is largely gay as another poster pointed out. But NOT in some outlandish Drag queen type of way. Every morning we ate at coffee shop. everyone was nice. Very quiet and safe. Alot of people in area had their dogs out especially at Starbucks.

Nice area. Nice hotel.

Entirely satisfactory stay

We stayed at this hotel for an overnight stay between Auckland and London. Maybe it was the jet lag, but contrary to some of the other reviews, we had a great time!

The hotel is certainly not the Ritz, but is clean and efficient. The staff were friendly and helpful in so far as they took considerable time to explain the layout of the neighbourhood when asked.

There is a moderately sized shopping mall 15 minutes walk away, and a number of good restaurants within a 10 minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel bar was quiet, and the only one in the area that we could find open in the late evening.

While we did not stay here with children, we did not personally witness any goings on that would have been offensive to a family audience. The only slightly unusual thing was the fact that a number of young women in the bar had to keep going back to their room every half hour or so, with different men. Maybe they kept forgetting their keys....

Apart from that though, you gets what you pays for, and this one was well above expectation.

You get what you pay for and this hotel is value for money.

To say there's neither a restaurant nor a car rental is true if walking one minute to the good restaurant or one minute to the car rental is too difficult. the starbucks 2 minutes away with the daily ny times was a plus.
the extra cost of parking was dismaying but in fact the hotel charged less than that garage charged non-hotel parkers. and many at the hotel were tour groups with no car.
one complaint is the chatter of the gym bunnies that comes up to the rooms from the health club close by.
and how can anyone not know west hollywood is tres gay?

Comments