North Pines Campground

East Yosemite Valley, California, 95389, United States

• WBeall's Profile Photo

Site 506 Is the best!

The camping in the Valley is definitely not like any other camping. The sites are pretty much on top each other and I saw some sites that did not even have enough room for a small tent. But as long as you do your research and have your ideal site picked out, then on the day of booking you should have no problem. I had Site 506 picked out and I was determined to get it. When booking a site in the valley you have to book it 5 months in advance and if you are not on the site and ready to book before they open then don't even try. I had two different computers ready 5 mins. early and just kept clicking retry till they opened the slots. I got my first choice site and was super relieved! It took me about 3 mins for the entire booking process, I then went back to see if they really do book fast and sure enough every single site in all 3 valley campgrounds were completely booked up. WOW. I was shocked and happy at the same time.

Site 506 was in the very back corner and had the Merced river running along the entire side of the site as well as the back side. There is plenty of room for multiple tents and then some. We had an rv that was 28 feet long plus a bike rack on the back and it was plenty of room as well. The dumpsters are a short walk from the site and so is the bathrooms. I would highly suggest bringing or renting a bike because, you are a short distance from curry village and the trail head of Vernal fall, Nevada fall, and happy isle. Renting or bringing a bike would save you on time.

The other sites in the campground:
    As we were riding our bikes I was trying to check out the other campsites and how much room they have. Some only have enough room for your vehicle and maybe a tent in the parking spot but then there were others that were definitely roomier enough for a large family.

101,103,105,107,109,111, and 113 are all backing up to the Merced River and you have great views from your site. BUT, your have the horse stables directly across the street and every time I rode past these front sites they always smelt like horse poop. 113 is farther away and has alot of leg room.

520, 522, 524, and 526 are all backing up to the Merced River and you have great views from your site. They all had alot of space but 520 was the largest. These were close to a spot in the river that you can swim in. Someone put rocks in a circle like a pool.

All the others in the campground were pretty close to each other but If you had to choose one of those just try to get one on the end because they seem to have the most space.

Alot of people talk bad about the pines campground but I really enjoyed staying here. We were far enough away to have our peace but still could walk around and everyone seemed like a small community. You could walk by a campsite and everyone would wave to you. We met several friends and cant wait to go back!

If you are camping and cant seem to decide on your site, this was a really good site to see pictures of the campsites. http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/map_of_North_Pines/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70927&topTabIndex=CampingSpot

Unique Quality: Bathrooms, bear canisters, picnic tables, lots of trees, great views, across the street from the dump station and water for your rv. Short walk/bike ride into Curry village and the trail head for lots of trails. A short bike ride into Yosemite Village and the visitors center. Lots of wildlife.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

1966 Trip in May

When we came the second time in May, it was me, my husband and my two children. We had our VW bus and a tent. I kept the food in the back of the VW and cooked on a Coleman camp stove. I am assuming that we camped at North Pines because I remember being near a river.

Unique Quality: Location: Yosemite Valley, near Curry Village
    Elevation: 4,000 ft (1,200 m)

Open: April through September (approximately)
    Reservations: Required and available online up to about five months in advance
    Cost: $20/night for each campsite (maximum 6 people per site)
    Number of sites: 81
    Groceries: Nearby (Yosemite Village and Curry Village)
    Showers: Nearby (Curry Village and Housekeeping Camp)
    Pets: Permitted (learn more about pet regulations)

Each campsite contains a fire ring, picnic table, and food locker [33"(D)x45"(W)x18"(H)], and is near a bathroom with potable water and flushing toilets.

• julese's Profile Photo

Camping in the Great Outdoors

The Pines Campgrounds offer the chance to park up campers or pitch a tent and provide a fire pit, table and bear-proof locker. They are close to Curry Village which also provides the showers.

Unique Quality: Who can beat crawling out of the tent to a view up at Half Dome?

Directions: Continue on the loop road past Curry Village