Aspen Square

AspenAspen

Sugession needed for Aspen Fall Visit Oct04

by AurobindoSaha

Hi
This will be my first visit to ASPEN. I will reach there in Saturday at around 12 pm and leave next day at 2 pm. I am planning to stay in Snowmass Village. Can anyone suggest how can I make most from the trip. I am going there to see the fall color and the beautiful lake and mountains. But not for snow or ski. Please suggest the places that I should do to in this 1 day time. I will have a car of my own.

I will be coming from Denver Metro. Hope that's a four hour drive in Nissan Altima?

How will the season during 2nd and 3rd october. Can I catch the fall color then?

If you please mention pointwise the places I should plan one after another that will help me a lot.

I like photography. So nice scenic spots is what I am looking for. Not much hiking as I will have my family with me.

Please suggest the best suited plan.

Thanks
AS

Re: Sugession needed for Aspen Fall Visit Oct04

by Familyroadtrip

You must see Maroon Bells! These are the most photographed mountains in Colorado and when you get there you will see why! We were there this spring and everything was so green and beautiful with maroon lake in the foreground and the dramatic peaks in back. I've dreamed of seeing them in the fall. The town itself of Aspen pales in comparison.
To get there you have to take a road I think is called maroon creek which is inbetween snowmass and before you get into Aspen. During summer months you have to take a bus, but I think they stop running after Labor day. You drive up for about 10 minutes until you get to the recreation area, there is a fee (I think $10 per vehicle) to enter park. Once there go to Maroon lake by following trail map provided at entrance to park . There is a short hike from parking area that goes around the lake to a small bridge that I highly recommend. It is flat and easy walking that we walked with my family which included 2 children and my 72 year old mother-in-law.
I would also suggest going over Independence pass if the road is open at the time. There is a ghost town there that would be perfect to photograph. Maybe you could leave early the next day pass over independence pass, go to hwy 24 north to Leadville, then north on 91 to meet interstate 70 back to Denver depending on the weather at that time. We did and the views were great.
Also on your way there if you are traveling interstate 70 to Glenwood Springs, stop at one of the rest stops in glenwood Canyon.
I have been to many places in Colorado(my favorite traveling destination) and Maroon bells is one of the best views. It's magical. I hope you get to experience them. Have a wonderful trip!

Re: Re: Sugession needed for Aspen Fall Visit Oct04

by AurobindoSaha

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your advice. Though I read your reply after coming from Aspen, we did just as you said. First day while going we took I70 and CO82. Went to maroon bels that day itself. Its a beathtaking place man. Wonderful. I will share the photographs very soon. Then the next day we started early and took Independence Pass. I loved the route. And continental Devider is gr8. I loved to trip.

Thanks again for your reply.

AS

Travel Tips for Aspen

Visitor Center and Maps

by Sagespot

When you visit Aspen for the first time you'll want to stop by the Visitor Center on the corner of Rio Grand Pl. and North Mill. They will be able to provide you with directions and transportation tips for the entire city.

They will also give you a large yellow map of some of the more popular destinations....but through our trip we found the the "North Face" and the "Aspen Picture Maps" to be the best. If you see either one pick it up. It provides more detailed locations for parking and is easier to read while trying to navigate through the city if there is construction on the Western entrance. The gondola ride to the Roof of Aspen.

Aspen Beauty

by painterdave

"Special Place in Colorado"

Aspen has always been a special place in Colorado. It has tried to keep a quality image and not pursue the plasticity of a tourist trap. It has basically succeeded, but on the other hand, it is a place for mainly the well to do.
The surrounding mountain area of Aspen is well worth a visit, especially Maroon Bells. This place has been set aside, and its maintenance is paid for by a small entrance fee. Expect to stay a whole day and picnic. There is a great hiking trail and several lakes along the way.
In the other direction you can drive up to an old ghost town called Independence.
I have place photos of each below.

"Independence...ghost town"

On Independence Pass just out of Aspen you will find this old gold mining town. Most of the houses are gone now, but you can walk down to the few that are still here.

Comments