Sky Hotel a Kimpton Hotel

709 E Durant Ave, (Formerly Aspen Club Lodge), Aspen, Colorado, 81611, United States

Sky Hotel - a Kimpton Hotel
Priceline.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

Rated 12% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• kelbel67's Profile Photo

SKY...for the hip!

SKY (and 39ยบ, which is the bar/pool/lounge area downstairs) is by far, in my opinion (i am a 'young' woman in my 40s) the most fun, trendy, beautiful place to be. it's great apres ski if you aren't staying there, also. they usually have a DJ, and sometimes special events upstairs & on the upper deck (fashion shows, finlandia vodka promos, for instance). it's got fun furniture, several fireplaces, and of course, a hot tub & heated pool outside all year round. there's even a fire pit or 2 outside by the pool, with lots of comfy couches & places to hang out, and board games in the lobby with fun furniture (alice in wonderland!) where you will definitely want to have your photo taken. the age range is all over the map, and my friends have always loved the casual food served poolside. during the day in the summer, you can only visit the pool area if you are a guest in the hotel, but at night, no one seems to care. the rooms are not super spacious, but comfy, appointed with some very cool mod decor~ zebra + red, anyone? it's also in the heart of downtown aspen, and literally a 30 second walk to EVERYTHING- groceries across the street, all the restaurants & bars, practically ON the aspen mountain.

Unique Quality: mod furniture, sweet hot tub, fire pits, comfy couches, heated pool (yr-round), rooms are really fun!

Directions: heart of downtown aspen~ right next to the little nell, practically on aspen mountain.

• rjweber21's Profile Photo

Cool, Hip, Good energy

Fantastic Apres ski. L.A. vibe, but pleasant and relaxing. Board games, wine in lobby. Rooms are decent. Great location. Ski in ski out. Would recommend this hotel. Good customer service. Pretty good value in relation to other very expensive hotels in the area.

More about Sky Hotel a Kimpton Hotel

What a great find

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous weekend getway in Aspen and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sky Hotel. We needed to getaway from the heat in AZ and get some quality time together before our baby arrives. The Sky Hotel's wonderful location and amazing out door heated pool and hot tub made our getaway very worth while. The staff were very friendly and very helpful with suggestions for activities and dining as we had never been to the area before. We usually prefer to stay at Starwood Hotels but found the Sky Hotel to be of great value and offered a more relaxed/upbeat yet professional experience than we are use to. We are already planning our ski trip !! Enjoy.

LA-hip decor + excellent service + great pool scene

Our stay at the Sky was fabulous. I travel a lot, stay in a lot of hotels, even a lot of Kimpton hotels, but none of them shines like the Sky. 5 star service in a modestly priced (for Aspen) hotel. Remodeled old mountain lodge funrished with very hip, kitchy chic decor--leads to a very unique and eclectic look. Very comfortable, quiet rooms. Great location-right next door to the Little Nell and a few paces from the gondola. Very knowledgeable and friendly staff. Incredible pool scene, more cool, fun and filled with beautiful people than the Standard in LA. We loved it!

More like a MOTEL/motor lodge

Absolutely Awful experience. The SKY hotel was musty, dark and really Old. The rooms were the smallest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in which is terrible when you have all of your winter gear,ski gear etc. This place was supposed to be young and hip but the crowd was a bunch of mid-life crisis people trying to be hip. It was more like a pre-Medicare group. The lounge had decent food but the crowd was the saddest group ever.

We will NOT return to the Sky hotel.

Personal touch

As a first time visitor to both Aspen and Colorado, I did not know what to expect. If the people I met at the Sky are any indication, Coloradoans are warm, friendly, helpful and interesting. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and could not have been nicer. When was the last time you knew not just the faces of the people at the front desk, but also knew their names and where they were from? I was at the Sky last month and can still tell you the names of the bellmen, front desk staff and hotel manager. After all, how can they make your stay more comfortable or recommend things you might want to do if they don't get to know you? The rooms are indeed small, but a balcony room makes up for it. The hotel is so convenient to everything, too, and the views are just lovely. I don't know what kind of wood was used for the closets and chest of drawers, but it imparts a lovely fragrance to your clothing. For so many reasons, I am eager to return to Aspen and stay at the Sky.

A dream weekend

My husband and I recently took our first getaway with our new baby and our stay and the staff at the Sky Hotel made it a wonderful experience and a memorable one. We ate mostly from the 39 Degrees menu and the food was amazing. All the staff from the valet, front desk, houskeeping and the nice managers that hosted the wonderful wine hour offered warm, professional and personal service. The concierge even arranged Patty our first baby sitter with a few hours notice who was fabulous. We plan to head back in the winter for some skiing.

God Awful experience

The SKY hotel was filthy, smelly, and there were bed bugs. I don't often take time to review places but to save any of you the dreadful experience of this trailor park of a hotel parked at the bottom of a mountain, I' posting this.... There are several very clean and decent places to stay while in Aspen.....The SKY hotel is NOT one of them.
Also, the general manager was not professional at all. The web site is totally misleading.

Poor service and thin walls

We have stayed at the Sky Hotel twice during ski season, primarily for the location. The largest problems that the hotel has, in my opinion, is the staff. Pretentious, poorly trained and with low motivation for customer service all combine to make a visit less than pleasant.
The rooms in the main building are alright, although very small and tend to be overheated. The adjacent building is unacceptable at the rates that are charged. Odd water dripping sounds and a smell of mold or ? are not what I expect when I vacation.
The manager is clearly not as involved with this prperty as he should be. A seasonal staff can be delightful but the Sky Hotel has managed to select many employees that view the customer as a bother, not the reason for their employment.

Very Cool, Very Friendly and Very Comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member pbd08

What can i say? a great hotel with a great location! I have stayed 4 times at the Sky Hotel and if i can i will try to get in another long weekend before the end of the season. The reason why we like it so much is that you can virtually ski to the front door, its friendly atmosphere, unique menu and Apres ski scene. If i had to change anything then it would be the bedrooms but what they lack in size, they make up in colour, cleanliness and comfort. Regarding the staff, we found them to be very friendly and whenever we needed advice they were onlt too happy to help. So if you're looking for an informal boutique hotel with a twist then try the Sky, where else can you have Apres Ski by a heated outside pool?

The hippest hotel in Aspen, great location

Having stayed in Aspen for many years, usually St. Regis or Little Nell, I came across the Sky Hotel since the others were sold out. I enjoyed my stay at the hotel. The rooms were just okay, they tried to make hip, but still dealing with the "mountain lodge" old design. I thought the beds were comfortable (Frette) and Aveda products. My complaints are small bathrooms and flimsy bath towels. I also noticed that one towel and a sheet had holes in them. For $500+ a night, I thought that was shabby. However, the hotel staff was great, the location fantastic, and the bar scene was even better. I met a lot of nice hotel guests in the lounge and hot tub. Aiport transfers provided and timely. Room service was decent. Great location for skiers. I will come back, but do not expect Little Nell or St. Regis, those hotels are in a higher league, but not as hip!

Comments