0130 Daybreak Ridge, Avon, CO 81620
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Perfect honeymoon!

We just returned from our honeymoon at the Ritz at Bachelor's Gulch. We were there from 11/14 - 11/18, which is the off-season (ski season didn't begin for another week). After a wonderful, but very hectic wedding, my wife and I were looking forward to some rest and relaxation, and this hotel delivered this and more!
If you are looking for a lot of action, I'd say you're better staying in Vale (about 12 miles away), but if you want to be pampered and made to feel welcomed and cared for, this is the place. FYI: The Bachelor's Gulch location is very secluded and somewhat isolated. To get to the hotel, you actually have to pass through two different guarded gates.
Here's a few of our highlights:
#1: Everyone knew we were on our honeymoon and we truly felt as if we were given *special* treatment from the entire staff. Everyone seemed to know our names, and they were all very friendly and helpful.
#2: The spa is one of the best. We had the "Couple's massage", which is 80 min. massage + 20 min. soak in a 2-person copper tub. Very romantic and very relaxing. When we left, the massage therapists had actually written us a note congratulating us on our wedding - and left us a small gift (a candle and some healthy snacks).
#3: Although the main restaurant (Remington's) was closed for lunch and dinner (due to the off-season), some of our friends had arranged with the hotel for us to be treated to a *special* dinner. The concierge called and "invited" us to dinner, arranging a time of our choice. When we arrived, we were escorted to the "Chef's table" set up in the kitchen. Although we've dined at the "Chef's table" at restaurants before, this was the first time we've ever been treated to a 5 course meal, with each course being served by the chef that had prepared the dish!
In closing, this was a very wonderful experience. We had originally planned to go to Cancun for our honeymoon, but after the destruction of the hurricane, we switched our plans to Bachelor Gulch at the last minute and couldn't have been more satisfied! We've already begun to make plans to return next year to celebrate our 1-year anniversary!!!

Not what you expect from the Ritz.

by TripAdvisor Member Lyssuh

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz for 4 nights and it was okay but not exceptional for what we paid. The rooms and hotel itself is over exaggerated with wildlife and a lodge decor with a very masculine feel. Again, this was suppose to be the Ritz, a luxury resort not a log cabin for hunters. The service was average, I have had better at other Ritz Carlton and other hotels such as the Fairmont. Most of the staff seem to discriminate against us, maybe because we are so young (in our 20s) and didn't wear our turtlenecks and smoke cigars. Couldn't say much for the clientals here, everyone seemed very serious and tight.

Breakfast was good but the only reason why we ate breakfast at the hotel was because we had a $50 breakfast credit each morning, otherwise go into town (FYI - breakfast for 2 runs over $50 after tax and tip). We had dinner there one night because we didn't feel like going down to town and it was pretty good. They have Elk on their menu and my husband had that and said it was exceptional plus where else can you get Elk? But if you are there, do go down into Avon and have dinner at Vista - that place was wonderful with friendly service. We were there off season so many restaurants were having some sort of price wars to get people in. Most places had a 2 for 1 and 20-30% discount.

I think we would go back because the view of the mountains in the area are breath taking but would not return to the Ritz.

Huge Disappointment/Lackluster Service

My husband and I just returned from a two night stay for our 10 year anniversary. After having stayed at the Miami South Beach Ritz Carlton, we expected a special trip to Beaver Creek. We could not have been more wrong. First, we reserved the hotel through the American Express Platinum Travel Service. American Express informed the resort it was our 10 year anniversary, but the hotel did nothing. In fact, we received a card from the General Manager addressed to another guest thanking him for booking a retreat there! Further, we did not receive the room upgrade under the AMEX program, even the hotel was no where near capacity. When questioned, the staff claimed they could not upgrade because no rooms were available, yet when I checked online reservations, there were numerous upgradeable rooms. We did not receive turn down service the first night. Finally, they advertise that you can reserve their dog, Bachelor. He was on "vacation" during our stay, yet we found out that he made an announced appearance at the hotel anyhow. The concierge, Trudie, was rude and unappologetic over it.

The Ritz Carlton's response to this situation? It was "low season." So apparently, it's "their pleasure" serving you, just make sure you go during high season. And frankly, I don't buy that either.

Loved it, Outstanding Ski Resort

I stayed at the RCBG with my husband and 2 children. We stayed for 4 nights.(12/19-12/23) This is an excellent resort. Conde Nast Traveler rated it the top ski resort in North America. I loved the lodge style feel to this resort. We stayed in a Valley View room with a window seat. It was spacious and nicely appointed. The bathroom was huge and very luxurious. I loved the spa fresh lotion and shampoo. I usually don't like the lotion and shampoo in hotels. Our only problem was that our Valley View Room had absolutely no view at all. It had a view of the other buildings and some cars, the view was faced in the opposite direct of the valley. This is not that big of a deal to us since we don't care that much about the view. The skiing experience was excellent. We are beginners and this resort was perfect for us. Beaver Creek Mountain is apparently the easiest one in Colorado. The ski valet group was very helpful and accomodating. I did not have any time to go to the spa but my husband said it was outstanding. The service was also excellent. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. They were nice to my children and knew them by name. The dining was pretty good as well. We only ate dinner at the resort once at the Buffalo Bar. It was good but overpriced. The other nights we ate dinner in Beaver Creek which was delicious and somewhat cheaper. We ate breakfast at Remingtons. Everything about it was perfect. I loved the Spanish Frittata. My children loved the Belgian Waffles. I looked at the Remingtons menu and it was extremely overpriced, $18 for a regular Caesar Salad, ridiculous! But all luxury hotels and resorts(especially Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons) are going to be overpriced. If you can't handle that then you are going to have a problem. But it was worth it to us. We had a wonderful experience at the RCBG.

Not what I'd expect from a Ritz

by TripAdvisor Member BrianHighley

I stay in about 100 hotel rooms per year, normally Marriott properties. The Ritz was far from what I expected. The staff was not very responsive, the food was sub-par, the one restaraunt required reservations (there is a bar restaraunt, but it was small smokey and packed), room service took one hour for a cup of soup and milk. The place is beyond expensive - I don't mind expensive when you get what you pay for. Expect to pay $8.00 for a soggy sausage egg and cheese biscuit, $6.00 for a cup of coffee, $4.00 for hot chocolate, and $18.00 for a hamburger.

That said, the property is beautiful! The ski in ski out is awesome. According to the staff, the slopes were "busy" due to Presidnets Day. We never waited more than 5 minutes in line for the ski lift. Not really my idea of busy.

The place was okay at best. At $650/night for the room, I'd expect a little more...

Comments