Grand Timber Lodge

75 Snowflake Drive, Breckenridge, Colorado, 80424, United States

More about Grand Timber Lodge

A Fabulous Five Star Resort

My family and friends vacation at the Grand Timber Lodge (GTL) frequently in the winter and summer and love the resort in both seasons. The staff is always friendly and accommodating. The suites are beautifully appointed, spacious, and well maintained. The heated indoor/outdoor pools and hot tubs offer hours of fun and relaxation with beautiful views of the mountain peaks.

A ski-in ski-out resort, GTL is convenient to the lifts that serve Breckenridge peaks that provide a wide range of slopes for beginners to experts. We always have lots of fun skiing in Breckenridge and appreciate the easy access to the slopes from GTL.

During the summer months, the area offers many outdoor activities, site-seeing and beautiful weather.

I highly recommend the GTL.

Great facility

by TripAdvisor Member vwholl

The Grand Timber Lodge is a timeshare and brand new. The suites are gorgeous, roomy, with everything you need in the kitchen, and a jacuzzi in the master bath. The pool, workout rooms, business center and community room are all topnotch. There is a spa and restaurant but we didn't use either.
It does say ski in/ski out which is pretty questionable. You can ski over to the lift, but the shuttle is more convenient. We tried skiing off the slopes, followed the markers, and got lost. We did call them and the shuttle came to pick us up.
We go to Colorado every year once or twice for a week to ski. This is one of the nicer condos we've had. We recommend a car because we like to go to Keystone and Arapahoe and Vail. Bus connections aren't convenient. We also prefer to cook in the condo at night.

Worth the trip!

by TripAdvisor Member MDLW

My wife, 4 children and father stayed at the Grand Timber Lodge from 6/17/06 - 6/24/06 and were very impressed with the facility. The rooms had plenty of space and everything seemed to be relatively new or in great shape. The pools (2) were nice and they also had 6 hot tubs on site. The kids loved this. We were also within walking distance of the downtown although the return walk was a bit of a workout - but we needed it after enjoying the food offered by a few of the Breckenridge establishments. Luckily we didn't have any issues that other have had here (garage door, construction noise, etc). We truly enjoyed the lodge and would stay there again if we returned to Breckenridge.

Nice property - ski in/out doesn't work for boarders

by TripAdvisor Member Ascout

We stayed in a studio (last room available) at the Grand Timber Lodge. The property was nice, and we took advantage of the hot tubs and pool. The Lodgepole Bar had surprisingly good wings and margaritas.

Overall, it was a good experience. The furnishings were modern, good hot tubs/pools/locker rooms. There were a few annoying instances which occurred: maid service forgot about the towel exchange (done on Mondays - this was quickly remedied); the laundry detergent machine ate our quarters; room key did not open the business center and once in, the printer had apparently been out of toner for awhile; the night shift at the front desk couldn't answer basic questions; parking spots were scarce in our garage over the weekend; the bed was mediocre.

I've stayed at many timeshare rentals, and for the price, we will probably stay somewhere closer to the lifts next time (we passed many properties as we carried our boards to/from the lifts). It's not a true ski in/out in the traditional sense of the term...but it is possible with skis.

Overall, above average as far as rentals, but probably not worth the money since it's not a true ski in/out.

Beautiful place. Close to everything. Would stay again.

by TripAdvisor Member cheringeo

I really enjoyed my stay at the Grand Timber Lodge during mud season May 20-27, 2006.
We arrived around noon. Nobody was at the reception area, so we proceeded to the concierge. This is where they get you. The young man was very nice, but very pushy about the sales tour. They want to book it right away. When you tell them that you will think about it, they state that they will book it now and give you your "gift" and you can reschedule anytime. Well, they want you to take that "gift", so you on the hook to go to the sales pitch. This was our vacation and I did not wish to deal with a salesperson. We stated that we did not own a home, which made us ineligible for the "gift" and the pressure was off.
This establishment is serious when they state that check-in is at 4 PM. The gentlemen asked for our cell number and stated he would call when the room was ready. We checked back several times, but it was not ready. The front desk called us 3:45 to tell us our room was ready. These units are fully stocked with all the comforts of home, which is why they must take some time to ready for the next guest.
We went to our room (1bedroom unit) located in building 2. It was very nice and VERY clean. Everything was perfect. The room was as neat and clean as can be.
A basket is filled with tea, coffee, hot chocolate, sugar, etc.
The room has a wonderful tub with jets. There is a balcony off the Master bedroom and living room. The fireplace is controlled by a switch. The room has everything you need. The TV channels are very slim, but they do have a DVD player. Movies are available for rent in the lobby, but they are pretty expensive. I believe it was $8 for two nights. I thought ahead and brought my own.
The pool is nice, but was filled the entire time we were there.
The town of Breckenridge is darling, but during the time we stayed many establishments were closed and the ones that were open, closed at 6 PM.
The town does not have any fast food restaurants. The closest town Frisco is 16 miles away. Frisco has a Wendy's and Taco Bell.
The week was very relaxing and I would stay at the Grand Timber Lodge again.
I am sure it is beautiful during snow season. The parking is underground and you do not really need a car if you don't have to have one. The van and buses run throughout the town. This was a wonderful place to visit.

5 Star Prices - 1 Star Service -Avoid this Place

Our family takes one nice vacation a year. We save our money and try to find the best place that we can. This year we decided to ski in Breckenridge for Spring Break. Around spring break, everything costs more. We heard that the Grand Timber was great and we said "hey if we are going to spend money, lets get the best place possible".

While I generally like the way Grand Timber Lodge looks you should know that looks can be deceiving. Not all of the rooms and the buildings are created equal. The third floor rooms have vaulted ceilings while the lower floors have low ceilings which makes you feel like you are in a cave. In addition, the lower the building number, the older the building. Building 1, which houses the office is old, loud, humid and less than pretty. Since each building has underground parking, one lucky room at each building sits directly above the garage door that opens and closes as the patrons go in and out. We were lucky enough to have that room. Approximately 200 times a day the garage door opened and closed causing our whole room to shake, rattle and hum. It was funny at first. By day 7 it was horrible. It makes it difficult if not impossible to sleep. They need to get some kind of insulation or sound proofing to fix this. The other problem that our building had was that GTL is constructing another new building (#8) across from building #1. In an effort to get the new building up and running ASAP, they begin construction at 6am (Saws, heavy trucks in reverse and hammering).

Combined with the garage going up and down, the construction project makes it absolutely impossible to get a decent night rest even when you heavily sedate yourself.

While I understand that less than perfect rooms exist within every hotel, I was stunned by the reaction that I received when I brought the issue up to management. They admitted that they were aware of both the construction and garage issue, yet said they could do nothing about it. When we suggested that we may leave they told us they would find a way to make up for the problem with us. They never did a thing and to this day claim that construction, and loud garage doors are something that everyone needs to be aware of and needs to understand. They compared the room issues that we had to "dust". I am so unsatisfied with the hotel and their response to my issue that I am writing every travel website and the better business bureau to lodge complaints.

As I told the GTL manager. If you are a 5 star resort, and charge $500 a night like five star resorts charge, then you need to have 5 star customer service. True 5 star resorts would never try to brush off the issues that we encountered.

Also, Grand Timber Lodge is not SKI IN/SKI OUT. That is the biggest joke. You have to ride the shuttle ulsess you like skiing on pavement through parking lots and cross country skiing back to the resort.

DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS US. USE YOUR MONEY SOMEWHERE ELSE WHERE THEY WILL GIVE YOU THE SAME LEVEL OF SERVICE AS YOU PAY FOR.

Not up to the rave reviews

by TripAdvisor Member dess

We stayed at the Grand Timber Lodge last week.

Contrary to the great reviews, we were put in a studio suite. It was very small. The studio comes with a small mini-bar size refrigerator, a two burner stove top, small microwave, and a small dishwasher.

The towels are changed only once a week which is ok. However, we never saw any of the cleaning staff during our stay and had to raid the storage area for toilet paper.

Our room was in building 1. Big mistake. There is lots of noise and activity from the game room, the main lobby, and the swimming pool. The swimming pool is open until 10 pm and is located directly under our window. It quiets down after 10:30 or so, but get noisy again around 6:30 am for the people who clean the pool and rearrange the heavy patio furniture.

One afternoon is devoted to the time share members. A band and a reception is located just outside my door in building number 1.

Wednesday night our building ran our of hot water. Great, just great.

Parking is very limited, and travel into town is ok, but the terrain is steep due to the mountain environment. I have very high praise for the complimentary hotel shuttle. In particular the day driver "Dallas" who is very courteous and knowledgeable about the town and events. We never waited in town more then 10 minutes for him to pick us up and drive us back up the hills to the hotel. A couple of bucks for tipping was a bargain.

The on-site bar and grill does a nice job at a fair price.

The on-site gas barbecues worked well and are a nice touch.

Overall, the place is ok. My experience certainly was not 5 star by any means. I would not recommend our location for anyone who just wants to sit back and relax. Stay away from building 1 and any room overlooking the pool areas. They are simply too noisy for my liking. Take advantage of the refrigerator and stove. You can save a bundle by buying a few groceries in town and making your own snacks and simple meals.

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member eireann74

The Grand Timber Lodge is a great place to stay. The condo we stayed in was one bedroom with a huge living room and well equipped kitchen. It also had a balcony with a nice view. The bedrooms are all suited with humidifiers, which was a definite must in the 9-10000 ft altitude dryness. The bathrooms were two-person equipped, with two sinks, a huge bathtub jacuzzi and a two person shower. Everything was very new and clean.

The resort is situated on the Breck mountain. It has ski in/out capabilities, but if thats not your thing they have a shuttle that will take you door to door. We chose ski in & out to peak 8 but shuttle to peak 9, and it worked out really well.

You can't take your equipment into your rooms with you, and my guess is because they don't want the carpet to get wet and moldy. So they make it easy to house your gear elsewhere. When you are done with a day of riding, you can store your board in lockers or at Christy Sports, an onsite board shop that also does tune ups and sells various sundries. Lockers have 24 access but Christy's is only available during business hours.

The resort itself has the Lodgepole Grill, a bar with basic bar food. Nothing special but really convenient if you are hungry and dont want to go into town. There is a small arcade next door and a tiny mini mart with It also has indoor and outdoor pools and jacuzzis. We didn't go in them because it was about 10 below during our visit. Plus, our indoor jacuzzi tub did the trick. We also didn't go to the spa because we spent each day on the mountain and nights in town. However, I saw they have several treatments to soothe the body. There is a pool table and general commons area with a big screen TV in the main building, and they have activities each day on the resort property for those who don't snowboard.

The town of Breckenridge is adorable. It was too cold to really explore but what we saw was great. Here are the restaurants we visited --

Mi Casa - twice - grade: A. Excellent fajitas, quesadillas, and margaritas. Fun atmosphere overlooking The Dredge.

The Dredge - B+ - Nice restaurant with good, higher priced selections. Quiet and intimate, at least when we were there. The service was good, though I wished they had not chilled the wine. Perhaps it was just the weather. Anyhow, I recommend the artichoke dip with pita tips. Very good.

Blue River Bistro - B - good appetizers of toasted raviolis, but salads needed help. They were full of lettuce and lacking in the other elements - sundried tomatoes, cheese, etc etc. The dressings were a little boiler plate. I heard the pastas were great so I'd stick with those I suppose. The waitress was nice but not the fastest and didn't frequent our table as much as would have been desired. Good for a date or a big party as they have all kinds of tables. Parking in back was great, especially given the weather.

Bubba Gump Shrimp - We had never gone and thought what the hell. Grease is a main ingredient. They were all very nice but again, sauteed veggies meant some carrots, onions and a few asparagus swimming in oil. The shrimp was decent though not as hot as I had hoped, meaning it seemed to sit for a while before being served or was never hot enough to begin with. The margaritas were waaay too sweet, and so we ordered an extra shot. Knowing what I know now, I'd go back but politely make sure the shrimp is sizzling when it hits the table.

We didn't get breakfast in town, and I regret that sort of, but we were always up and on the mountain when it opened. By the way, the mountain food is basic. The Maggie was fine with good veggie chili and pasta, as was Ten Mile Station though the idea of cheese on a veggie burger wasn't computing with one chef who gave the burger to me with basically a piece of unmelted cheese on it. (Most of the chefs are total sweethearts.) The mountain food isn't cheap, and if I had wanted to really save money, I would have gone to the market and fixed lunches at the Lodge as the kitchens are FULLY equipped.

Anyhow, that's about it. If you board, have a great time but beware of the flat parts at the bottom of peak 9. They can be a buzz kill as you need to either a) cut people off going really fast like a lot of the entitled and rude SKIERS we saw, or b) pedal your way down which can be exhausting. Many times I took off my board at walked. By the way, I'm not a teenager, I'm very polite, and I have good mountain etiquette and consideration...after this trip to Breck, I have a newfound dislike of skiers. The sheer amount of entitlement and attitude is staggering. If you are a skier, lighten up. Boarders aren't going anywhere, and less tolerant people will make you a target for their rage.

Bottom line, the Grand Timber Lodge is fantastic. I recommend it for couples, friends and families.

Very Nice Property

by TripAdvisor Member 5campes

We stayed here from August 6-13, 2005 as an exchange with our Disney time share. The property had alot of construction going on, this being a shoulder season in the area. Fortunately, our 2 bedroom did not have a view of the construction site. The unit itself had a beautiful kitchen area and a nice balcony. The decorating was fairly utilitarian, not very inspired. Still, the unit was comfortable and very spacious. The washer/dryer in the unit made the stay very comfortable as we could dry the bathing suits in between uses and didn't have to go home with a suitcase full of laundry. Maintenance was very efficient. We had a problem with the in unit fireplace and it was repaired on the same day, in fact within an hour or two. My only grievences with the unit would be that there was no in room safe, which is nice when you are staying at a place for a week or more so that you do not have to run down to the lobby to retrieve valuables. In this case the lobby can be several buildings over. Also, on the master suite king size bed there was what I believe was either a queen size fitted sheet or a substandard form of bedding which was not large enough to fit the mattress and was CONSTANTLY coming off during the night. This is a pet peeve of mine so it may have bothered me more than others, but on the day that we checked out there was a guest at the front desk complaining about the fitted sheets in her unit being too small for the bed.

The resort restaurant was fine for lunch or dinner when you are just too worn out to go into town. The pools were both nice and very well heated, which helps when the outdoor temperature is 70 degrees. One of the pools has a steam room which was a great way to put back some humidity into a body that has been out in the dry mountain air. I note that the unit did have a small humidifier, but it was way outmatched by the size of the unit and really could not add that much humidity back into the air.

The resort was about a 10 minute walk into town, but it was a nice walk and got us some exercise. We found Breckenridge to be very nice and fairly reasonably priced for being a tourist area. I LOVED the Crepes a la Carte restaurant which is on the main drag and serves both dessert crepes and dinner/lunch crepes. The town "square" had a number of activities that were scheduled throughout the week, including gold panning and concerts. We also bought a full day pass at Peak 8 Fun Park, a ski area by winter which converts during the summer to allow guests to take the lifts up to hike or hurl down the slope on "sleds" which are on a fiberglass track. We spent the whole day there and the kids (ages 9,5 and 4) loved it. We also drove down to Leadville and took the vintage 1940's train through the mountains, which was alot of fun.

We really enjoyed our time in this area and at this resort and would consider staying here again if we returned.

Nice but Not a 5-Star Resort

Visited Breck between April 9-15, 2006. Grand Timber is a very nice facility with lots of amenities. We had rented a lock-off portion for a family of 3 total. Smallest room with very little storage. But clean and nice. Getting humidifiers is a chore and is needed at that altitude. Pools, restaurant were nice and the parking, etc. underground is a plus. This is not a ski-in and ski-out facility. It is close to the lifts but is difficult to navigate. Convenient but not ski-in ski out. We did it every day though. Shuttle service around town is incredible. Any place you want to go or get picked up is great. We visited a time share presentation. Disasterous. Once we told the salesman we weren't going to make a decision that day, body language was negative and it was your typical pushy salesman. Took offers off the table, etc. Down on all time shrares as a result. Oh well. Overall, a nice place, pricey but nice. This is a great facility but by no means is what they deem 5-Star. Take my review with the understanding that we are not pretentious, have traveled the Rockies, Utah, California, Montana, Idaho and New Mexico to go skiing. We've stayed in better and worse. This was above average with some nice amenities. Just stay away from the used car salesman posing as time share pushers.....

Living roomLiving room

View from Hoosier PassView from Hoosier Pass

Timeshare in Breckenridge

by skywalkerbeth

Hi all

I've seen a few very cheap timeshares on ebay, for Breckenridge. I'm not going to jump without more info but they are so cheap it's tempting. It may be a good way to check out the general area.

Has anyone heard of Alpenrose condos, there? (this is one I happened to see on ebay).

thanks...

Beth

RE: Timeshare in Breckenridge

by skywalkerbeth

no one? I decided to let that one go but am still interested in the area. thank you!

Re: Timeshare in Breckenridge

by RkyMtnMama

There are quite a few timeshares in Breckenridge. You can find some great deals on re-sales, especially with places like Grand Timber Lodge (aka Gold Point Lodging). There is a local realtor that does a lot of timeshare resales with reasonable prices. Here's a link to their site: http://www.jovanrealty.com/

Breckenridge is great any time of year. There's a great sense of community and lots to see and do in the area.

Hope that helps!