Carbonate Copper Mountain Denver

The BoysThe Boys

Travel Tips for Copper Mountain

Copper Mountain Ski Trip / National Disaster

by vt2krazystan

"No too Cool of Ski School!"

As usually my holidays went down like a story book. My life is always an adventure. I took a week off of work and headed to the Rocky Mountains on the 16th for some skiing.

Thankfully, I wasn't the only one who hadn't been skiing before or needed a refresher course. Our "We're not too cool for Ski School" band of misfits included: Meredith, David, Karla, me and Logan.

After our first day, and against my better judgement, we went out w/the rest of the group to the Coppertone Slopes, BAD DECISION!!! Apparently the mountain is naturally divided with the far west side being the easiest and as you go east it progressively gets harder. Well, we started out right on the divide where green mets blue and the lines become blurry. Later that afternoon, I was talking to a guy that works on the mountain and he said that trail really should be labeled a blue b/c it's really steep at some points. NO KIDDING!?!?!? I thought I was going to die. My legs have never shaken so much. I'm not sure if it was fear or fatigue, but I all I knew is that towards the end my legs were shaking uncontrollably! It took us the entire morning to come off that mountain, but I'm just glad that I came down alive. I lost track of how many times I fell, but I'm guessing it's somewhere in the 20's.

The third and final day, we (the beginners) wised up and hit the easy green slopes. Despite the little Ski Lift incident (you're supposed to get off when your skis touch the ground. Apparently, since I'm short, I was supposed to skootch to the edge of the seat and lean forward to reach the ground. What ended up happening: I never touched ground and ended up riding the lift around. They had to stop the entire Lift and help me off! "You're the first person today that didn't get off." DOH!), I did really well. I didn't fall at all on the Kokomo Slope, but did 3 times when I hit the harder Lumber Jack trail.

Top of Kokomo: Jennifer, Karla, Loni, Sarah, Logan, Meredith, Gina.

Me with my ski gear heading up to the ski lift.

After lunch, Sarah and I went back out to Lumber Jack and I only fell once this time around. I was sad that the trip had come to an end and can't wait to hit the slopes again!!

THEN THE NATIONAL DISASTER STUCK!!!!! The story about the Blizzard of '06 will be continued in the next blog

"National Disaster strikes"

On our way back from our Ski Trip to Copper Mountain, a Blizzard hit Colorado. Our Scheduled flight was to leave on Wednesday afternoon, but little did we know our adventure was just about to start!

As we drove into the airport the snow started coming down faster and heavier than when we embarked. In order to see, Jennifer had to hand out the window and flick the windshield wipers.

Once we made it to the airport we found out all flights had been cancelled. I found us a sweet spot to camp out until the airport reopened.

BUT we quickly found out we had to relocated in order to get a decent spot in the standby line. We had to move from the carpetted, tree lined area to the hard tile in front of the Southwestern ticket counter, BOOOOO!!

Luckily, I had my yoga mat w/me to sleep on. It did little for comfort, but at least it wasn't AS cold, but still just as hard.

Just for FYI, ski pants aren't that cushionie...

We made some friends in the airport and adopted some into our group.

Since it was a National Disaster, Red Cross came by with blankets and food rations.

At one point this van was completely covered in snow!!

After three Day of living in the airport, I finally made it back to TX. I had to call my brother to come rescue me and get me from Houston.

Comments