11 Snowmass Road, Crested Butte, Colorado, 81225, United States
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

More about Crested Butte

Here I go!Here I go!

Crested ButteCrested Butte

Summit of unnamed mountain in Crested ButteSummit of unnamed mountain in Crested Butte

horses, rafts, bikes

by freckleface

Good evening. We're taking a house for a week in CB second week in Aug.. Have three kids 14,13,7. Would like suggestions on rafting outfitters, bikes, and horses. Also, any suggestions on massages and kayak lessons? Thanks.
s

Re: horses, rafts, bikes

by Rasta_Rob

It's been a couple years since I was last up in CB, but I don't seem to recall seeing much rafting or kayaking activity there -- there really aren't any major rivers up the valley where CB is located. Perhaps back down in Gunnison? Rafting and kayaking are, however, quite popular on the Arkansas River back on the other side of Monarch pass, and if you drive to CB from Denver via Buena Vista, you will pass dozens of outfitters along the river.

Moutain biking is very popular in Crested Butte and there are a number of places to rent bikes, both in town and up near the ski area. I would think there are also plenty of places nearby for horseback riding as well. It's a pretty small town, so you should be able to get a lay of the land your first day there. Cheers! -Rob

Travel Tips for Crested Butte

Getting away from it all

by tiredwithkids

The whole town shuts down sometimes at 10pm (except for a few dance bars)
Most people are active during the day...skiing, hiking, whatever.
It's "extreme" athleticism!
It's great for families, to, because there's so much the kids can do there! There are tons of easy hikes, rivers to play in, parks, fishing ponds, a great outdoors experience.
A great resource for that is Mountain Kids Magazine, which also has a website. Hiking, Skiing, and not hearing a sound.

Snowboarding on Thanksgiving 2004

by Velzy

Yes, it is affectionately called "Crusty Butt".....You are NOT the first person to think of that...now get on with your life!! Crested Butte for Thanksgiving. There wasn't much snow but we had fun. Rented a small house and packed it with friends and strangers (some friends brought other friends). All in all it was okay. The people at the local rental shops were very cool and helpful. The folks in the restaurants were friendly and had lots of tips on where to hang out and find a good drink. The only place we went was there at the slopes... There is a nice restaurant/bar with a FIRE pit to dry off around. Heavenly!!

Get a place with a kitchen. You save SO much money that way! The local grocery store was not expensive and was open late! The "town" area had spas, massage places and little shoppes..I didn't wander around much.

We amused ourselves with cracker eating contests and "who can teach the new girl to snowboard" sessions...finally...I'm NOT the new girl LOL!

Be sure to watch snow reports. We were lucky enough to get some new snow on our last day out. The runs I took had decent powder on the edges. There were a few little parks for boarders to play in...Yes, I braved a little jump...there is even video footage of that! I so own that little jump now!!!

If if never went back to Crusty Butt, I'd be okay with that. It didn't impress me, and it was crowded with too little snow. Maybe later in the season it gets better! Lordy lordy, where is one to go boarding on Thanksgiving?!?!? Look at Craigslist.org for places to rent. I rarely like resorts. You can usually find cheaper places in town, and its not that far to the slopes. Most of the rental shops were the same...you can drive up and drop off your passengers at the slopes to avoid any whiners in your group! ;)

Comments