1450 Glenarm Place, Denver, Colorado, 80202, United States

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Downtown Holiday Inn

Downtown Denver Holiday Inn
    1450 Glenarm, Denver, Colorado 80202 * 303.573.1450

Located prominantly overlooking the convention center and the 16th Street Mall, towers Holiday Inn's downtown hotel with its own bar, restaurant, and rooftop outdoor pool, exercise center, and free wifi/hbo. Decent room service and an amenable staff - a little pricey but very conveniently located. Rating: 4 stars out of 5.

More about Crowne Plaza Hotel Denver

did not give us what was advertised

by TripAdvisor Member Chicagoian

. Due to construction that was not made present to us, nor the other customers, this hotel lacked many amenities. My mom went for a conference and I went with her so I could go to the pool and go shopping. Upon arrival we were informed that the pool was closed due to construction. We picked this hotel instead of the Hyatt Regency (which is a lot nicer) because it had an outdoor pool. They said we could use the pool in the Marriott but people said it was very small and in the basement. After an hour of negotiating they called the Grand Hyatt (three blocks away) and we were allowed to use their pool. Theirs was very nice and that had a great sundeck on their outdoor running track. They gave us two breakfast vouchers for our three night stay. But, they did not lower the price. They gave us a newly updated suite instead of our double room.

Also, the elevators took a long time to come because of the construction on the different floors. Most of the people on the elevator were construction and hotel staff.

The breakfast was good, especially because it was free on one day.

It is in a great location, one block from 16th street mall and one block from convention center.

If there is a choice I would recommend either of the Hyatts. The Hyatt Regency is next to the convention center and the Grand Hyatt is on the other side of the 16th street mall. These are both immaculate and there is no need for construction there.

This is my first experience with a hotel that I did not get what was advertised to me and it wa not worth it.

Was leary of the construction, but renovated room was nice

by TripAdvisor Member voreezz73

As noted in prior reviews, this hotel has been under an extreme
renovation; this made me a little worried) I found out at check in that they are converting the property to a Crowne Plaza. If you can look past the construction and the un-renovated areas, you'll find some nicely remodeled Crowne Plaza rooms with comfortable beds. I stayed at this hotel for a quick business trip and was leary as I checked in since construction was evident throughout the lobby, the elevator looked very tired, and the hallways to the room were a flashback to the 90s with dirty and worn carpet. To my delight, I found the room to be completely redone with new beds and furniture and an updated bathroom. My advice to you is if you need full amenities or may be turned off by the construction, it may be best for you to avoid this property until renovation is complete. If all you need is a comfortable place to sleep, this property will serve you
well.

Decent upgrades, but it's the small things that need work.

by TripAdvisor Member xtine27

I stayed at the recently renovated Crowne Plaza for five nights on business. My first impressions were good. Check in was a breeze. Staff were VERY friendly. And the location is pretty swell considering it's about two blocks from the convention center and about a block to the Denver Pavilions shopping area. The 16th Street free shuttle is right there too.

With some reservation I gave the hotel an above average rating because I think, for the money, it's a good value. The bed is absolutely lovely and I slept very well each night. Little amenities like a sleep well kit and a surplus of toiletries are nice touches. There's even a little CD player in the room.

Some of things I didn't care for:
- Housekeeping. I had a do not disturb sign on my door in the mornings before I left for my conference. I removed it when I left. When I returned to the room during lunchtime my room still hadn't been serviced. For the first 3 days my room never got serviced because, I suspect, they came by during my "do not disturb" times, but never checked back later. When housekeeping finally did service the room, the attention to detail lacked. Washcloths were taken away; no clean ones were returned. Coffeemaker supplies weren't replenished. The used toilet roll wasn't replaced. Pillows were left on the floor. Little things, I know, but it seems like these are things that should be easily taken care of.
- The bathroom sink. I didn't take a picture... While elegant, the front surround area of the sink is so wide one must really reach to even turn the tap on!
- The TV. No plasma screen as part of the new renovation? That's just plain strange.

Things I liked:
- Concierge service. He called a taxi for my early flight and put a note under my door to tell me who to expect.
- Stylish aspects of the new renovation. Some of the modern decor is quite nice.
- Bed. Lovely, comfy sleeping with the requisite 8 pillows. If you've stayed in a corporate hotel lately, you know what I'm talking about.

Okay, clean, but nothing to write home about

This hotel is situated within a block and a half from fine dining, the downtown and the convention center.

It is a quiet non-descript hotel with very nice beds in tiny rooms, that charge a bit too much money.

Renovations are ongoing. The excercise area is okay—much like the rest of the hotel—adequate, but not outstanding.

As a Crown Plaza hotel, frankly, I expected much more: a warm inviting lobby, neat shops, a hip restuarant. At the very least a guest jacuzzi/hot tub. Not to be had.

You won't regret staying here, but question why this establishment would qualify as a Crowne Plaza hotel—it just doesn't measure up;

Pretty Nice Stay--Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member MichWorldTraveler

This particular property offers a GREAT rate for 'Entertainment Card' members (the coupon booklet you can buy in many areas for discounts at nearby restaurants--I got mine from a family member selling them as a fundraiser, but I digress)...Paid $69.00/night for three weekday nights this week. A phenomenal rate for a downtown hotel.

The room was very nice...My platinum status got us upgraded to a suite (end of the hallway, room ended in 25). It was fairly nice--not too big, but did have a separate living room. Both rooms had nice new LG LCD televisions, one full bath off the bedroom and a toilet/sink off the parlor room. The main bathroom was a little small. That being said, $69 for a king suite, I have very little to complain about. I was disappointed that their 'Executive Floor' is closed for renovation (however, they're selling executive floor rooms online--somewhat confusing, or was I hoodwinked?). The executive floor would have gotten us breakfast in the morning and hot appetizers and drinks in the evening, plus free internet.

Check-in was friendly and efficient, but didn't have much interaction with them after that. The concierge was great--he hailed us a taxi by standing in the street for 10 minutes. He also helped us when we had a problem with housekeeping--I was waiting in line at the front desk and he intervened and said he'd take care of it--and he did!

Housekeeping was a huge problem. The first day we left at 11AM and returned at 5. The room wasn't cleaned. She showed up around 6PM, luckily, as we were just going out again. The second day we left at 8AM and returned at 5 to an uncleaned room once again. She showed up a few minutes later and tried telling her to come back around 7, as we'd be leaving again, but she didn't speak one word of English. She walked away as confused as we were...Unsure if our room would get cleaned.
(That's when the concierge took care of it for us--the room was cleaned when we returned around 11PM).

All in all, not a shining-star of a hotel, but not a dump either. It left a lot to be desired, but based on what I paid, I'd surely try it again, hopefully once their remodeling is fully completed.

Great Location, Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member HelenaR

We stayed at the hotel for 2 nights; we are a family of 4.

Downtown location is great; minutes walk to the 16th street Mall and a quick drive to the Cherry Creek area.

Room was nice and comfy but on the small side if you are with a family, so take an extra room or a junior suite if you have kids with you.

We booked through our travel agent a room for 4 people; however, the bedroom we got was small, definitely not for a family of 4! The staff was great and tried to find us a bigger room, but the hotel was sold out. Instead they gave us a major discount on the room, so we were OK with that in the end and it made for a cozy stay.

My kids liked the breakfast buffet and the omelets with avocado were a hit…
Nice friendly staff.

I think room rates vary greatly- for the right price this is good choice…

The Crowne Plaza is a great hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member sage_brown

The Crowne Plaza is a wonderful hotel. I was there for business, and the rooms are very nice, the food is great and the business services are great. The hotel is non-smoking, and that is a major plus. They provide you with a sleep well package that has ear plugs, eye mask, etc. which is nice!

The only problem here is parking - which is expensive. But that is the case in almost all hotels in Denver!

I would stay there again!

Not recommended!

by TripAdvisor Member smoknwild

Kinda nice on the outside, but after entering into the lobby area something just didn't feel right. Counter girl was very nice and helpful is probably the only good comment I have. After checking in , walked by small bar which appeared to be clean but no staff were present. TV was on, but like I said, no one was home. Got on elevator and noticed carpet a bit old and dirty. 1st red flag. Got up to the Eighth floor and as soon as doors opened a table with lamps were right in front of us next to wall, as well as several other floor lamps next to table. 2nd red flag, smell of cigarette smoke was present even though signs were posted no smoking. 3rd red flag, as we walked to our room we noticed the door was being held opened by the door latch that locks the door from inside. I took two steps into the room and noticed the bed was not made and coffee cups and plates were left on the table and the room smelled! I went down and we immediately checked out! Informed the girl at the counter about the problems. She apologized and I told her it wasn't her fault but she needs to speak to the management about the appearance and cleaning up the rooms etc... For a few extra bucks go to the HYATT 2 blocks west. Have always read trip advisor, this time I didn't. Never again!

NO in-room internet access (are you kidding).

by TripAdvisor Member berklaw

In 2008, it is totally unacceptable for a business class hotel to not have in-room Internet access. (ok, you can use a "dial-up" modem, but honestly, who has that anymore).

This hotel still appears to be undergoing renovation. The rooms seem mostly upgraded and are nice. BUT BEWARE, make sure you test the air conditioning unit before you unpack. The A/C blew only cool air, not cold air; thus, despite the 68 degree setting on the thermostat, the room's temperature never fell below 72 (and in the afternoon would reach 78) which made it a little uncomfortable to sleep at night. Management was informed, but I suppose that is a problem that cannot fix promptly, but since it was March, I did not go to the trouble of insisting on another room (had it been summer, I would have insisted on a new room). The "new" beds are nothing special, despite the claim of 7 layers of sleeping comfort, putting a few mattress pads on top of otherwise unremarkable spring mattress does not create a luxurious sleep experience.

The hallways are quite dated (probably one of the last areas scheduled to be renovated) The staff seem friendly enough.

The restaurant is "ok". As with any hotel restaurant, the food is pricey for what you get, but the portions are generally large. The Bar, at least during happy hour, had reasonable prices.

The Glenarm St location is fine, you are walking distance to 16th street mall.

The charge an additional $18 per day to park in their garage.

All in all, I would NOT stay here again, but if you don't mind not having in-room Internet access, this hotel is not a bad value for downtown. Just be sure to check out your room thoroughly before you unpack and test all the devices in the room.

Comments