Hostel of the Rockies

HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Terrible

More about Denver

Bar at Elway'sBar at Elway's

Sign denoting the route numbers of ColfaxSign denoting the route numbers of Colfax

Main Street locationMain Street location

State Capital Building DenverState Capital Building Denver

Visiting Rocky Mountain Nat Park

by blue_sky04

I am planning to visit Rocky mountain Nat Park this April. My questions:

- what is the distance between Denver and the Rocky mountain Nat Park?
- Is it better to stay in Denver instead of Estes Park, if I want to visit the Nat Park?
- If I don't drive myself or don't rent a car, is there any public transport which will allow me to visit the Nat Park from Denver?

Thank you for your information.

by Callavetta

The drive from Denver to Estes will take about an hour and a half to two hours, depending on traffic and time of day. I don't believe it's possible to see the park without a car. Definitely stay in Estes Park. The park is quite large and you won't be able to drive through to the West entrance in April, as the pass is closed. But you'll be able to see plenty and should see lots of Elk.

by bocmaxima

There are a couple of different ways up there: I-70 to Central City, or through Boulder on 36. Both Nederland and Lyons are both very pretty towns, but Boulder is also nice, and Golden definitely has its charm. But ski traffic (if there is at that point, which is unlikely) will be worse on I-70 (Denver - Golden) than the Boulder route, and the Boulder route is easier.
There is no public transit to RMNP. Sorry. There are pre-arranged tours, although probably not in April, but you otherwise will have to rent a car.

by blue_sky04

Thank you for answering my questions and giving me the information.

by ldreesman

You will be visiting one of my favorite places on earth! I concur with those who have spoken here, definitely stay in Estes Park. You don't say if you are camping or hoteling it, (bring a warm sleeping bag if camping at that time of year :-) We have done both. Estes Park Campground, from where you can hike right into the park is wonderful. We like it because we tent camp and no RVs are permitted so we don't hear the roar of the air conditioners, satellite TVs, etc. Nearby is the YMCA of the Rockies which have cabins and such type of lodging, who offer all kinds of tours--on horseback and on foot--for young and old alike. And if you are less inclined to do rustic, there are numerous hotels and resorts in which to stay.

Travel Tips for Denver

There's more to come, as I'm...

by Seabiscuit

Okeedokee - I was told to keep this, and I will. It's me sippin' sodas with my Nephew Tyler. (He calls me "Uncle Jim") Great kid, except he and his Mom (my Sister) wear the same size. I let *them* duke it out.

Colorado History Museum

by goingsolo

This museum was highly touted by every guidebook I've perused and, while it is an interesting museum, I didn't feel it lived up to such accolade. So I'll call this one a general tip and not a must see.

The museum features exhibits which trace Colorado's history from the onset of the gold rush to present day industry. Through artifacts, photographs and scale models, it is explained how the population of Denver grew from 4,759 people in 1870 to over a million. There is also a section devoted to the Mexican-American war and the acquisition of New Mexico and a portion of Colorado. The museum also features many 19th century photographs by Colorado shutterbug William Henry Jackson, as part of its exhibits depicting the changing face of the Colorado landscape.

The museum is an interesting place to visit while in Denver, especially if you wish to learn more about its history. I wouldn't plan on spending more than an hour or two, tops, here, as its not very big and there are plenty of other sights to see.
The museum is located at 1300 Broadway. For more information, contact 303 866 3682 or visit www.coloradohistory.org.

Byers-Evans House Museum

by OlenaKyiv

The kitchen of the house has a glass ceiling with a fan very old coal stove (I have read somewhere that the last owner used it till 1980s), the refrigeration, old iron, a couple of tables and other small old things that are neccessary in the kitchen.
The stove is impressive because it looks to be in a good condition. What I liked is to see old waffle maker and small stove for a pancakes. For some reason I was sure it is an invention of modern times, but I was wrong.

Refrigerator was also a surprise to me, because I know in some countries (in Europe) all products were held in rooms under ground, where it was cool even on summers. But here it was common to have a refrigerator, that consists of two part: one is for ice, and another one for products.

Nature and History

by KaiM

The Denver Museum of Nature and Science has great exhibits about animals from all over the world and the history of the Native Americans. It's located directly beside the Zoo and a nice park. All those three things are worth to see.

Invesco Field at Mile High

by RJ1967

Eight Sunday afternoons each fall 76,000 football fans jam this stadium to watch their beloved Denver Broncos play football. If all goes well during the regular season fans might get to see two additional (playoff) games during the month of January.

Comments