Hotel VQ

1975 Mile High Stadium Circle, (former Red Lion Hotel), Denver, Colorado, 80204, United States

Priceline.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 22% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

Hotel VQ

The Staff were very helpful and friendly. The proximity to Invesco field right across the street is a top reason for staying here. In addition, Elitch Gardens Amusement Park, Coors Field, the Pepsi Center, and the Downtown Aquarium are all close to the hotel. They offer a shuttle to downtown Denver which we used. One negative for someone else staying was that their heat was not working but they were given a heater in room. The 14th floor Skybox Grill and Sports Bar gives a nice view of the Denver skyline and Rocky Mountains. It is a nice place to relax and have a drink. Rooms have in room wi-fi and there is an outdoor heated pool.

More about Hotel VQ

Hated it!

Looking online the hotel seemed nice enough for the $69 ($81 total) rate. Boy was I wrong!
The staff was okay, but not super friendly. The elevator was a little creepy and slow, when we got to our room it was propped open with the latch, it smelled old, musty, smoky, the comforter was so old we stripped it from the bed immediately. We only had 2 bath towels--no hand towels. They did not service our room in the morning and when I asked the housekeeper in the hall if she had anymore towels she said no. I called the front desk for more towels and a showercap at 10am and still didn't have them at our noon check-out. We had to call to have the air turned on in our room and in the middle of the night it switched to heat! Our view was of a pool with screaming kids and the pool deck was being resurfaced. There was no place to buy bottled water. I could go on and on....The best thing about this hotel was the free shuttle that I used to take me to the Grand Hyatt. That was $109 a night and worth every penny!

Great Time!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Tinca

We stayed for 5 nights, 2 people, and had a great time! 49$ per night incl. Breakfast. Heated pool year round. Shuttle takes you wherever you want within 3 miles, Mc Donald´s, supermarket, Downtown. It picks you up within 20 min from calling. Housekeeping was okay, 4 new towels every day. Front desk staff friendly. Great view over Denver. I would stay in this hotel again!

not impressed

Reserved this room on the companies website for about half price. Loved the location, not impressed by anything else. On the website it had a space for special requests. I wrote that we would not be there until very early in the morning and asked for extra pillows. When I finally got the attention of the lady at the desk, she was rude. Said she couldn't find our reservation, then when I brought out my confirmation, she said she had put it in the cancellations since we didn't show up the evening before and only had us listed for the one night instead of two. Had reserved a smoking room, was put in a non-smoking and was unable to get the extra pillows I'd requested. The service stinks. Do not pay full price for this hotel.

Bad Service, OK hotel

by TripAdvisor Member gotarheels

We stayed at the Red Lion Downtown in Denver July 10-11. We are on a cross-country trip and are in the unique position of being able to compare hotels night by night. The desk person who "greeted" me was very rude and acted like I was "bothering" him by checking in. Nothing like the receptions we got in Virginia, Kentucky, Tennesee or Kansas. This guy was a jerk and shouldn't be handling customers at the front desk. We had to change our room after initial check-in becasue it did not have two beds, which was part of our original reservation. Again, he acted like it was a huge bother and that we were putting him to a lot of trouble. Mind you, the desk was not busy and I am pretty patient and flexible. That encounter set a bad tone for the whole visit and it could have been so much more pleasant since the place isn't the total dive conveyed on previous pages. It's old, but clean. The restaurant it clean and has a great view, but a very limited menu. If you're looking for a place close to Invesco/Mile High stadium you can't get closer than this....but you can do better. I'd take the drive for better service and a hotel that the management cares enough to remodel once every two decades.

Do Not Stay In This Dump!

by TripAdvisor Member HolmesHolmes

Old and dated accurately describe this old dump of a hotel. Where the three star rating came from I do not know.

The heating and air conditioning are central. I am writing this review at 2:00 a.m. while trying to cool down. THE AIR CONDITIONING DOES NOT WORK IN THIS HOTEL.

I SEE FROM ANOTHER PERSON REVIEWIING THIS HOTEL THAT THE HEAT DOES NOT WORK EITHER.

THIS IS A REAL DUMP AND SHOULD BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS.

Decent Hotel for Price

by TripAdvisor Member clynne1

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Red Lion for nine days. We booked the hotel through a travel agent and got a great deal which included the breakfast buffet every morning (saved us a lot of money). The hotel itself is average. We benefited from the location being very close to downtown. We attempted to use the shuttle on several occassions but it seemed to disappear after 9pm. Here were a few more complaints that we had (1) The front desk staff was virtually useless. They had no clue when it came to directions or information on close-by attractions. (2) The gift shop was open only at random hours. (3) The restaurant/bar/skybar only served food until 10pm and drinks until 12am.
Overall we enjoyed our stay. Housekeeping was prompt, the rooms were clean and the hotel was at a great location.

Not a 3-Star Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Capernicus

Perhaps a "decent" hotel for singles, but just a pathetic experience for this family of four.

The AC only worked if set to Heat/ 90, and only cooled to 85 in the night . . . with the little window opened eight inches. And my partner and our two children sleeping in our underwear. On the floor.

To sleep on the floor was actually my choice after seeing the bug in the bed. The bed that flipped me out the first night because the matress was too big for the box frame under it. (I just hope that I didn't roll over any other critters while I was on the floor.)

And what's up with not being able to get any towels in the room? The hotel knows there's four of you, but will only give you three towels upon arrival and after housecleaning. Unless you stay at this hotel, that is. Where there will be no towels in your room upon check-in, and no one will bring you just one more towel -- no matter how many times you ask.

Yes, these issues were reported to the desk clerks on duty. Yes we asked for someone to look at the AC, and we asked for towels, and we left a note for housecleaning . . . yet nothing seemed to yield any results.

Where did the $4 million for the renovation go?

Definitely OK To Stay Here

by TripAdvisor Member LQCQ

Although the hallways could really use a little cleaning up, the room itself was great, especially the shower. They have a free shuttle to anywhere you want to go in town (except the airport). And when the shuttle is really overloaded and you're forced to take a cab, the Red Lion pays for your cab fare. They have a business center and when we had to print our boarding passes for our flight home, they graciously let us use their printer. We never had a chance to use their pool. This place is a 9-iron shot to Invesco Field where the Broncos play. We had an enjoyable stay here and would consider the Red Lion if we ever come back to Denver.

have stayed at much better...

by TripAdvisor Member trentonkid

Definitely not impressed with this place. On check in the front desk clerk told me that we didn't have a reservation when I made the reservation directly through their website. He said that we must be at the "wrong" hotel, I wish that I would have taken his advice and left at this point in time. After about fifteen minutes of checking his computer he finally admitted that we were at the appropriate hotel and proceeded to give us our room keys. On entering the room I was not really impressed, the only really nice thing was the view of the downtown and amusement park area, other than that it was nothing special. Ate at the restaurant on the top of the place and that too was a disappointment with rude service to boot. The evening that we ate there was a huge storm so we did get to have a fantastic view of the lightning/thunder from the very top. If your staying here for an event at Invesco then okay, otherwise I will look elsewhere the next time I am in the Denver area.

will this itinerary work?

by U24AngelEyes

This is my first trip to Colorado and I was wondering if you think this itinerary will work.

June 10th - Arrive in Denver - maybe see Garden of the Gods, check into hotel

June 11th - Maybe see downtown Denver, meet up with friends

June 12th - concert

June 13th - Drive to Estes Park, check into lodging and maybe see part of the RMNP

June 14th - RMNP - Do the Bear Lake trail

June 15th - RMNP - tour more of the park

June 16th - Depart Denver

by U24AngelEyes

Oops, should have said I'm thinking of staying at the Hotel VQ since the concert will be at Invesco Field.

Thanks

by bocmaxima

> June 10th - Arrive in Denver - maybe see Garden of the Gods, check into hotel
Garden of the Gods is in Colorado Springs, which is over an hour south of Downtown Denver, without traffic. You can certainly get down there, but I would think that it would be a little much, especially since the airport is so far from Downtown.

As for the rest of the trip, I think that two full days in RMNP would be enough. Drive up to Estes Park on the day after the concert, but maybe stop in Boulder to spend some time before continuing on, and get to Estes Park in the evening.

hth

by gymosier

re: June 10th - Garden of the Gods is 2 hr drive each way... may I suggest a trip to Red Rocks instead? It is in Golden, CO right off of I-70, and is a natural amphitheater with cool areas of geological interest and beautiful natural rocks from the same ribbon that forms Garden of the Gods. Red Rocks is west of downtown Denver by 15 or 20 minutes (depending on traffic).
Otherwise, it looks like a great trip! Enjoy!

-Gretchen, a Colorado native