Oxford Hotel

The Oxford Hotel
Orbitz.com Travelocity Splendia.com

Costs 39% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Denver Hotels In Heart Of Nature

For staying and enjoying holidays or any other moments this hotel is perfect for taking a grateful accommodations. we also spent our four to five days in this hotels which were very nice.

Unique Quality: pool, parking, restaurant on site

More about Oxford Hotel

The Oxford is wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member IWillDare

My wife and I have stayed at the Oxford twice on trips to Denver, and both times have been extremely impressed. It is an elegant, well-kept, "old time" hotel.

Rather than the electronic key cards that are used in most hotels these days, you will get a regular key that is attached to a large tassel -- you return this to the front desk each time you leave, which is a classic touch. (Their mascot is a little orange canary named Casey, who greets you from his cage right next to the front desk.)

Both times we've stayed at the Oxford were not especially busy times for the hotel, and they automatically upgraded us to one of the "Victorian Deluxe" rooms at no extra charge, and we didn't even have to ask. These rooms are quite big (350 sq ft. according to the website) and have large, luxurious beds and beautiful old wood furniture (wardrobe, dresser, desk, mirror, etc.) The only negative aspect to the rooms is the bathrooms, which are relatively small and still have what appear to be original fixtures. They were all very clean and in fine working condition; the bathroom is just somewhat unattractive and small compared to the rest of the room.

The Oxford provides several services that distinguish it from the competition. There is a luxury car service which will take you anywhere in downtown Denver (within a few miles of the hotel). They used to have a "classic" Cadillac, but this time it was a newer town car. In any case it was a great way to travel to dinner. They also provide overnight shoe-shine service.

The Oxford also has the coolest bar in Denver right off the lobby -- the Cruise Room. It's a pretty small place, but it has great Art Deco furnishings and a cool neon glow. You feel like you've been transported back to the 1930s, and they serve a mean martini. The location is nice -- right in LoDo (lower downtown) and near plenty of restaurants, Coors Field, etc.

Highly recommended -- especially for those looking for a romantic getaway or an otherwise classy place to stay in Denver.

Incredibly over-rated and overpriced

I stayed at the Oxford because I was attending a conference that was booked here. I jumped to the wrong conclusion that if the conference was here than the hotel must be good. WRONG. The hotel is very old and needs serious updating. Especially in noise control. Although the bedrooms are carpeted, the bathrooms are old (it looks like the original) tile so you hear all your neighbors footsteps, door closings, etc. when the use the bathroom. There are no door-closers so the bathroom and room doors slam shut and you hear every door around you everytime it is shut by the cleaning people, etc. Plus the toilet flushers must be the originals as well - had to call plumbing at least once while I was here. And the carpeting is thin in the rooms and halls so you hear suitcases, maid trollies, etc. This is on top of the outside traffic noise since the windows must not be the best either. I had no sleeep the 3 nights I was here and all they offered me was a free breakfast. Not enough for how overpriced this place is.

A fabulous place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member EvaPraha

We blew into town after a week-long stay in Vail...4 young women that were tired from skiing and enjoying Vail's nightlife, yet excited to continue their journey to Denver before returning home to NYC. We arrived in Denver around 8 p.m. on a Sunday night with no idea where we'd be spending the night. After finding our way to the LoDo section of the city, I spotted The Oxford Hotel out of the corner of my eye and something inside of me said, "THIS is the place." We parked the Jeep and went in inquire about a room and low and behold, they had a large one with 2 queen seized beds for $159 for the night. What a steal! The lobby was absolutely breathtaking....with rich colors, dark wood, and antique furniture. And a wonderful little yellow canary that sweetly sings to you while you check in. The hotel is grand and historic but without the stuffiness of some hotels. Everyone was SO nice and made us feel welcome and right at home from the get-go. The Oxford is on the National Register of Historic Places and apparently was part of the city since 1891!

The room itself was stunning! Absolutely perfect! It had all the amenities and then some....flat screen TV, etc. We wanted to move in permanently.
The room, plus the hallways on the hotel, have European antiques. It doesn't feel like a hotel, but a palace. An exquisite home.

Downstairs attached to the hotel you will find McCormick’s Fish House - which is one of Denver’s best seafood restaurants.

The hotel is right by Union Station and close to Coors Field and the 16th Street Mall, so you can walk everywhere! They valet park your car as well so you don't have to stress over street parking.

This hotel is quite simply fabulous. I highly recommend it for a romantic weekend getaway ; -)

Great Service

by TripAdvisor Member Tfiles

Historic landmark hotel in downtown Denver close to Larimer Square. Rooms are a bit dated but very comfortable beds, great showers. Great service all around with free car service to go for dinner and back, free internet.

I love the Oxford

by TripAdvisor Member JonKMontreal_Canada

This is truly one of the great hotels of America. Somehow they had the foresight and commitment to keep the oldest hotel in Denver alive and more than well. It's a splendid Victorian period piece - but one that's added wireless internet and other mod-cons. This time I had a "victorian deluxe" room and it was a wonderful, large and comfortable room filled with chairs, pillows, an old oak desk etc. It was a treat. Some other rooms are probably smaller. Worth the extra I'd say.

The neighborhood is also interesting - nice walks, restaurants, shops, a great bookstore (The Tattered Cover) around the block. In short it's the opposite of a cookie-cutter, out on the edge of town type hotel.

Jon - Montreal

I love the Oxford!

My partner and I enjoyed three nights at the Oxford Hotel when we went to Denver for the Cubs-Orioles series in 2004. The staff is friendly, helpful, and courteous, and frequently funny. Our room was elegant and comfortable. The hotel is three blocks from Coors Field, right around the corner from the Tattered Cover bookstore, and right smack in the middle of some great brew pubs. Beer, baseball, and books--I could live there! You won't need your car: the free tram is nearby to take you downtown, and you can walk to the ballpark. The Oxford is a great value!

Loved the Oxford

by TripAdvisor Member travellingjacks

Just got back from our honeymoon and spent our first night at The Oxford and we were very pleased, it is a beautiful hotel and even after arriving quite late we managed to get a meal at the McCormicks fish house where the waiter expertly recommend 2 amazing dishes, he even surpised us with a complimentary desert to celebrate our marriage. The room was great, huge bed, had to jump to get onto it, desk, 2 easy chairs, tv, fridge etc. We had booked the bed and breakfast package, so had breakfast in bed the next morning, which after such a lot of travelling was most welcome., this also included valet parking, which was very useful to us. All in all a lovely hotel, pleasant staff and if in Denver again would most definately here stay again.

Worth Every Penny!

by TripAdvisor Member Timmy485

We recently stayed a night at the Oxford during the 4th of July holiday. I am so thankful we chose the Oxford Hotel as our one night away from the family. It is an excellent hotel with lots of charm. It is an older building with much of its older appeal still there so don't go expecting a modern, hip hotel. From the moment we valet parked the car until we checked out the staff couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. We had a deluxe Victorian room which was spacious and clean with a large bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and we were never bothered by noise. The Cruise Room is one of the best bars I have ever had the privilege of drinking at. It is decorated like a lounge from the Queen Mary and hasn't been changed since 1933. Excellent music and drink menu. McCormicks Fish House is a wonderful place to eat too. Wait staff was very friendly and the food was sensational. This hotel has a great location near some other wonderful restaurants, bars and shops. Also close to the ball park if you are coming for a Rockies game. I can't say enough good things about this hotel. Nothing negative at all about our stay and I will definitely go back.

Pet Friendly, Obviously...

by TripAdvisor Member Crock1806

We stayed in one of the corner rooms, #410, on 8/30 (our anniversary) which was fine as far as quietness and size of the room were concerned. The staff were friendly but didn't put much effort in to solving 2 problems: 1) on check-in, no keys for our room could be found and we were offered a drink coupon for the bar while new ones were made. The offer for a drink quickly vanished and we were let into our room by the manager, using her key. We waited more than an hour for keys, which was becoming critical timewise as we had dinner and show plans and needed to get in and out of the room at various times. The initial offer of a drink would have helped my anger alot at this point. Don't offer something and then not deliver, especially when a problem is being dealt with.
The second, larger problem was our floor, near the tv and the entryway, was strewn with dog food. Perhaps the housekeeper didn't see it as it did blend into the carpet. What it indicated to me was that vacuuming between guests doesn't always occur. When housekeeping did come to clean up the kibble, it was scooped up by hand...still no effort to run the vacuum.
The hotel is vintage and we enjoyed the relative peace and the location in Lodo, but the service, especially by the manager was less than professional and we don't intend to stay at the Oxford again.
Highlight...McCormick's Fish House ( first floor). The food and service were unbeatable. They just need some comfortable seating to make it perfect.

Comments