3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

1405 Curtis St, (formerly Executive Tower Hotel), Denver, Colorado, 80202, United States

Orbitz.com AMOMA.com Booking.com

Costs 120% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

Hip and Comfortable Hotel

The Curtis is a recently-renovated hotel very close to the conference center and the Denver theater district - and just a couple of blocks from the pedestrianized 16th Street Mall. It's a fabulous location, close to much of what downtown has to offer (there are great restaurants nearby, too, as well as a riverside running path to work off the meals), and pretty easy to access from the highways, too.

Since it's a new place, at least in this format, some things weren't yet open, like the swimming pool, while the attached restaurant was just getting started, but the location and the comfort of the rooms were perfect, and it was decent value for money.

Unique Quality: The most obviously unique characteristic of the Curtis is its playful pop-culture theme, with a heavy dose of 1970's-retro styling. Each floor has a theme, usually somewhat poppy, with decor and an elevator announcement to match. There's no competition for the 15th floor's very funny arrival spiel, which remained amusing throughout our stay, while our wake up message one morning was from "Elvis" himself.

More about The Curtis

Curtis Hotel is terrific!

by TripAdvisor Member aspencogirl

It saddens me to read the other bad reviews, because my experience was fantastic. I found the hotel on Expedia, but booked directly with the Curtis after reviewing their website. The reservations department as well as the front desk staff were extremely friendly and accomodating. The price was much better than other Denver hotels ($109 on a Saturday night), parking was comparable to other hotels ($17), and the location is an easy walk to everything. I stayed on the 16th floor and did not hear any noise, other than the occasional door being closed -but it was not louder than in any other hotel I've ever stayed at. The beds were super comfortable, the flat screen TV was great, the bathroom amenities were nice, and the room was spotlessly clean. The iPod dock was a unique touch. I was extremely impressed with the room service - so reasonably priced and very generous portion of great tasting food with a nice presentation. It arrived within 20 minutes (10 minutes earlier than their estimate) and was delivered by a perky server. No extra service charges, no hidden fees, no price gouging. Once this hotel is completed (pool, restaurant, conference rooms) the price is sure to go up - and it would still be worth it.

Impressed and Pleased with The Curtis

by TripAdvisor Member CardsGirl

This was my first trip to Denver and after reading many reviews, I chose The Curtis for my husband and I to stay during our three night trip over Memorial Day weekend. The location of The Curtis was perfect. We were within walking distance of everything and the hotel even gives you a handy little map attached to your room key card. Our room was on the top (16th) floor, themed "Petal to the Metal". The place was clean and had plenty of room for two. I will say that I can understand why some reviewers complained of thin walls and loud noise coming from other rooms; however, it was not too terribly bad where we were at. My only critique would be to provide some type of shuttle service for guests coming to and from the airport. We spent over $100 on taxi service ($55 coming and going). It's
"almost" cheaper to rent a car and pay the high parking fee, depending on how long you are staying. I would recommend The Curtis to anyone traveling to Denver, especially young couples.

The Curtis - the good and the not-so-good....

by TripAdvisor Member cancercaregiver

I traveled to Denver with my two boys - ages 10 and 8. We stayed at the Curtis for 4 nights.

It is a cool hotel for a younger crowd. It was inexpensive ($130 a night) and in a good location near the 16th street mall. However, as a ton of other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is LOUD. I actually had to go to Brookstone and buy a "sound" machine so that my boys could fall asleep. The doors of each room close with an almighty THUD each time someone enters or leaves their room. Each floor is a different theme, and is announced each and every time you reach your floor. How annoying for the rooms directly across from the elevators...DEFINITELY stay away from them. I was just amazed at the noise. It was unreal. I don't know how come it is so bad but it is.

The room size was ok. No restaurant yet, no pool, etc. Room service was good and not too expensive - HUGE portions. Takes forever to get to the room and you could expect at least one thing to be missing or wrong with each order but not horrible.

The hotel is funky and neat to look at but just isn't up to par yet. The front desk staff had no idea how to answer ANY question. They were disinterested at BEST in terms of customer service. They were too busy playing the games in the lobby. Seriously.

The furniture in the room did not close properly, so everytime I walked by the armoir, I would hit myself on the door that would not stay shut.

All in all, I would probably stay elsewhere, but the boys enjoyed the quirkiness of the establishment. We were on floor 15 - the "rock and roll" floor. FYI - the 7th floor is the "kid free" floor so if you want to try to have it a little quieter, you might try that one. Also there is one floor dedicated to pets and their owners.

I think once this hotel gets the restaurant up and running and trains the staff a little better, it could be a good hotel. AND they would need to do something MAJOR about the noise control.

The Curtis Will Make You Smile!

by TripAdvisor Member beesquare

We had the pleasure of visiting the lovely city of Denver over the past weekend, and would have to say that our visit was only further enhanced by our stay at the newly opened Curtis Hotel. We happened upon this hotel quite by accident while searching Denver hotels on the internet, and when we looked into it
further on the hotel’s official website, it looked like such a fun place to stay. We were further sold when we plugged it into tripadvisor.com, and saw many favourable reviews. As the rates were really quite reasonable for what looked and sounded like a truly innovative hotel experience, we went aheadand booked it for two nights.

But first, the bad news.

1) The toilet paper holder in our bathroom needed stronger plugs. (I’m
kidding about this being “bad” – yes, it’s true, it was a bit wobbly on the
wall, but it’s the only thing about the room that wasn’t delightful).

2) The few negative reviews you will find below mine will speak of how
noisy a hotel this is – so my ears were on alert to see if this truly was
the case , and I have this to report: Yes, there was the usual noise one
hears through the doors of hotel rooms – doors with spring hinges slamming
shut as other guests come and go out of their rooms, or as the maids go
about their work, and the occasional but brief boisterous banter of other
fellow travelers as they make their way to the elevator or ice machines,
etc. – but was it any louder than other hotels I’ve stayed at? No. The
only time the noise complaint may have been valid was during the wee small
hours of the morning, when I awoke to hear the sound of two raised female
voices engaged in a rather heated argument with one another, and I admit, it
wasn’t exactly muffled. I just couldn’t tell whether or not it was coming
through the wall of an adjoining room, or wafting through the air vents from
another floor entirely – it was rather hard to pinpoint. Either way, I fell
back asleep within minutes. Again, I suppose this is the sort of thing that
could happen at any comparably priced hotel. I guess it all depends on your
tolerance for such distractions, and how much you’re willing to spend for a
hotel that will provide you with your own personal silent oasis.

But now for the good, and there’s a lot!

Location: Very conveniently located within blocks of all of Denver’s
shopping and dining hotspots, and directly across the street from the lovely
Performing Arts Centre Complex.

The Hotel: What else can I say but to reiterate what others have said –
this place is fun, fun, fun! From the moment you step into the lobby, with
its brightly coloured retro look, it’s a delight for the senses – video
screens with random revolving displays, cartoons, and lively music coming
from the speakers above. There was even a “shell game” and magic 8 ball
set up at the check in desk, if you were so inclined. The public washrooms
were very innovatively decorated with large graphic signs (see photos) that
just make you smile, and every themed floor of this hotel is whimsically decorated with displays that are pertinent to the particular theme. For instance, we stayed on the fourth floor, which paid homage to famous pop culture duos – Bogey & Bacall, Batman & Robin, peanut butter & jam, cookies & milk…..it must have been so fun planning what would go into this place.

The Staff: From the moment we arrived in the underground parking and were looking somewhat confused about which direction to head, it seemed we were immediately assisted by one of the friendly hotel staff who seemed to pop out of nowhere, and our experience during the entire stay was no exception. From the “pink ladies” (the hotel maids) to the front desk staff dressed in retro bowling shirts, they all seemed to be having as much fun as the guests – (but not to their detriment – they were beyond helpful).

The Restaurant: “The Corner Office” had just opened a week prior to our stay, and so we were a bit wary – perhaps the usual bugs hadn’t been ironed out yet – but again, we were so pleasantly surprised. Our first night there we shared a late night eclectic dinner consisting of chorizo quesadillas, crab pad thai and hummus with pita bread – and it was simply outstanding! Not only was the food delicious, but like the rest of the hotel, the thought that went into the presentation was above and beyond. And so reasonable!! Even with two generous glasses of the most expensive wine, the bill came to less than $50 US. In fact, we enjoyed the food, service and atmosphere in this restaurant so much, we dined exclusively there for the duration of our stay while in the city – which included two superb breakfasts from the varied and imaginative menu.

The Room: But none of the above may not matter, if you’re sleeping in a
concrete bed and finding dirty glasses in the bathroom. Again, no worries there. The room itself was a generous size, and our king size bed was juuuuuuuuust the right firmness, and appointed in the high quality white linens that were sooo inviting at the end of our long days of sightseeing/concertgoing. And instead of finding chocolate mints on the pillow, we were treated to Tootsie Rolls – yet another unique twist on the usual hotel fare. The room was furnished in tasteful contemporary design, with a comfortable easy chair and ottoman, free high speed internet, and flat screen LCD television. The usual amenities, ironing board, iron, coffee maker, etc., were also present. The bathroom was stylish and clean lined, with a marble topped vanity and glass shower stall (oh, and the wobbly TP holder).

Still To Come: During an extended conversation I had with one of the front desk staff, I learned that the fitness centre/pool is due to open by mid summer 2007, and will be the largest such facility in Denver when it’s completed, with a mini-Olympic size pool. I enquired whether this will mean an increase in rates, and he did admit that yes, the rates will most likely increase once the hotel is fully completed – but did offer that they won’t jump exorbitantly. So if you’re visiting Denver soon, book a room before the introductory rates increase…. but even if you’re not planning a visit in the near future, the Curtis is well worth the visit for the unique experience it offers.

So overall, a GREAT visit. I’d highly recommend this hotel if you’re visiting Denver in the near future and want something more than the usual hotel experience – it’s the coolest hotel in the city!

It was great but......

by TripAdvisor Member cortescx

The Curtis was an innovative hotel experience. The staff was wonderful and the decor was modern and clean. They even leave random candy on your pillow at night. We had one major problem.... loud neighbors. The walls are extremely thin so you hear everything from the mumbles of conversation, to the ringing of a wake up call to the slamming of doors. Why do people slam doors at 2:00 in the morning? We brought this problem to the attention of the front desk and they were wonderful. They moved us to a corner room on another floor with a better view. If you are a heavy sleeper and noise is no bother, then this is the place to stay! Great location too.... it's near the 16th Street Mall and LoDo.

fun ambiance + excellent service + great location = a wonderful place to stay!

by TripAdvisor Member flyalanche

i have just a few details to share beyond what other travelers have mentioned, but i wanted to make sure i gave this hotel its due for being a great place to stay. two of us were in town for a three-day easter weekend, and the friendly service, nice rooms, and central location of the curtis were perfect!

the hotel is right next to the downtown theatre district, within an easy five-minute walk of the 16th street mall, and just a ten-minute walk to the pepsi center (if you're a healthy adult who can read street signs, don't let anyone tell you to take a cab--it's not worth it!). the hotel provides a very handy map as part of your room keycard, and by using that, you'll be able to easily navigate the area. there are quite a few great restaurants in the area as well, from american homecooking to fine dining to fondue to a good old cheesecake factory that never seemed extremely busy. there are also several clubs around, but we didn't get to try them out because we attended hockey games at night, and nothing is open late on sundays.

prices were more than reasonable for both our rooms and the room service menu (we paid just $110 per night plus tax, which i felt was a steal for the location). as mentioned by others, you do get fun treats on your pillow at night--we got quite a selection of easter-related candy during our stay. everything about the hotel is brand new; the beds were comfortable, the furniture was beautiful, the bathroom features a granite countertop and a spacious shower with good pressure, and although other people have mentioned noise issues, i have a very low tolerance for noise and was only disturbed once when we happened to be in the room while the hallway was being vaccuumed. the televisions in the rooms are fairly high-tech and offer a variety of TV channels as well as a huge range of pay-per-view movies, recently aired TV programs, and even video games and 'net access.

as for the floor themes, we checked them all out (mainly because we had little else to do during the snowy late nights we experienced!), and they are very cleverly organized. we stayed on the "pedal to the metal" floor and enjoyed our wakeup call as well as the fantastic view offered from that top floor. as you arrive at each floor, the elevator quotes a unique phrase, and kitschy retro art adorns the walls outside the rooms. if you're feeling motivated, you can check it all out in about twenty minutes <=]

it will be interesting to see how the prices and other amenities shape up with the grand opening of the curtis. the business center was somewhat functional during our stay--we loved being able to print our boarding passes free of charge!--but the health center, pool, restaurant, and other promised offerings were not yet available. there are also MANY very nice conference rooms, so i'm sure this will be a popular destination in the future. best of all, every single person on staff was friendly and helpful, and we enjoyed chatting with them during our stay. one note: if you happen to visit the curtis before it fully opens, be sure to follow the front desk's advice to check out the temporary fitness center.

i honestly wasn't planning to write this much...in short, i highly recommend the curtis and would definitely stay there again.

Great Hotel at a Great Price in a fabulous location

by TripAdvisor Member lolypoly

The Curtis is in a fabulous location in downtown Denver walking distance to many restaurants, 16th Street Mall etc. Very quirky hotel. I arrived after a late flight and wasn't sure how I felt when my elevator played Vanilla Ice and the door opened and sure enough there was a picture of Vanila Ice greating me on the One Hit Wonder floor. Kinda funny though. The room was a pleasant surprise. Brand new. Very clean. Nice flatscreen and a view w/ mountains in the background. I got the room for an average of $100 per night and couldn't be happier. You do have to pay for parking which is a little steep but it's a new and clean hotel in a great location. Also, room service was prompt and very good for breakfast.

I do hear noise from the hall and doors slamming at times but it was nothig unbearable. Nothing out of the ordinary from staying in a hotel and experiencing noise.

Never Never Never

by TripAdvisor Member redbull1

Don't do it!

As a business traveler, this is one of the single worst experiences that I have ever had at a hotel. OOOOUUUCCCHH!!! Paper thin walls, horrible gym, TV not working, a business center with no fax or copier, and even confusing clock radios. Also - if you chose to risk it, stay far away from the elevators!!! They loudly announce the floor and then the direction they are headed ever time they hit YOUR floor.

Don't let the lobby fool you, this place is great.

by TripAdvisor Member blondeinsf

I checked out this place online and saw it had good reviews. When I viewed some of the pictures though I wasn't that impressed with the appearance of the lobby. Don't let that keep you away. This place is "kitchy" with a different theme on every floor that made me smile. The staff were very very nice and the food was good. My room was very clean and well appointed and the bed was comfy. Oh, and the entire hotel is non-smoking, which for me was a bonus!

Weekend in Denver

by fibbidy

I will traveling to Denver for business in early October. I will be sticking around for the weekend after to check out the area. I'm looking for suggestions for places to visit in the Denver area. In particular, I'm looking for areas in the surrounding mountains to visit (hopefully see Fall colors.) I have never been to Denver before, and I want to see the beauty of the Rockies. I have 2 full days. I will be most likely staying in the Denver area, but I am open to suggestions for somewhere else to stay (Boulder, Fort Collins, etc.) Like I said, it is my first time there, so I am not familiar the area at all. Thanks in advance!

by jlynyc

If you like music, check to see if anyone of interest is performing at nearby Red Rocks Amphitheatre. It is an absolutely amazing venue to see and hear a show. (You can also hike the grounds). Also near Denver is the Golden Gate Canyon State Park. Rocky Mountain National Park in Estes Park is also beautiful and about 1.5 hours outside Denver.

by HairySwede

Check out the flatirons in Boulder. All kinds of amazing hikinh trails in that area and very close to Denver. Otherwise I would suggest a drive up to the mountains. If you're in Ft. Collins Estes Park is really close otherwise as the other person said Red Rocks is impressive. Head up to one of the ski resorts too, they usually have summer and fall activities depending on weather. Breckenridge, Keystone, Copper Mountain are all right around the Summit County area. Only about an hour and a half drive from Denver!

by fibbidy

Thanks for the replies! Can you offer any suggestions for Hotels in the downtown area? I'm still searching this forum, but hoping you can offer some suggestions. I want something downtown close to restaurants/bars and night life. I will have a car, but prefer to walk. I'm hoping to check out the mountains during the day and then downtown Sat night. Thanks!

by jlynyc

I recommend the Magnolia Hotel. It's reasonably priced and located in an historic building. The hotel was very nice and comfortable and was 1 block from the 16th street mall and within walking distance of the bars and restaurants in the LoDo area. Plus Harry's, the bar downstairs, was a great place to start and end the night.

www.magnoliahoteldenver.com

by caffeine_induced78

I work at the front desk of the Curtis Hotel in downtown Denver. It's not your standard hotel as we stress the fun side. We have pretty low rates right now as we are a pretty new hotel (opened in January) and word has not completely gotten out yet.

Comments