Colorado Trails Ranch

Leaving the Durango Train StationLeaving the Durango Train Station

Durango and SilvertonDurango and Silverton

Waterfall near Silverton, COWaterfall near Silverton, CO

Animas riverAnimas river

Is it best to make hotel reservations?

by Familyroadtrip

I am planning a family road trip thru Southwest Colorado the second week of June 04. My goals are to spend the nights in Mesa Verde, Durango, Montrose, Glenwood Springs, and Aspen. I am not sure if we are going to make these destinations on time, but I'm afraid of not being able to find a place to stay. If anyone has any advise on these areas I would appreciate it.

Re: Is it best to make hotel reservations?

by thesweetooth

I would make hotel reservations, if possible. Some of those places may have websites; at the very least you should be able to find a phone number of the city chamber of commerce who could give you info on local places to stay. I have stayed in Durango, at the Budget Inn I think on Main Ave. Durango is neat b/c they have a cheap bus that goes up and down the main street like every 20 min then another bus that covers most of the town. And the downtown area is really cool with little shops and a variety of restaurants. I stayed in Montrose too, but camped so I can't comment on hotels. Didn't really like the town-not very many restaurants and was kinda boring. If feasible, I would recommend checking out Ouray instead (about 40 mi from Montrose).

Re: Is it best to make hotel reservations?

by GlacierJames

Howdy, I lived in Durango off and on for 10 years and I recommend Mesa Verde, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride. I believe the Alpine Loop takes you North from Durango to Silverton then to Ouray, then Telluride then back to Durango. Or you can hit Mesa Verde (Cortez, CO will always have rooms) Then Durango, stay in Silverton one night if you can and In Ouray one night, then if you skip Telluride you can continue north to GrandJunction and catch I-70 East to Glenwood Springs. Camping is an option although the nights can still fall below freezing. Tourism season really doesn't take off until late June-August.

Have a great trip. Eat at the local favorite Mama's Boy Italian Restaurant in Durango. And stop in at the Diamond Belle Saloon and have a drink......

Travel Tips for Durango

Tourist 'Season'

by cloudhopper

A common practice for us Durango natives is to drive down Main Street and see if we can pick the tourists from people who live here. The funny thing is that it's ridiculously easy sometimes! Try not to stick out and if you succeed, you win the game! Avid out of town players might even start in the game themselves, pointing out the more obvious tourists!

Rafting the Animas River

by Easty

Durango is located on the Animas River. This river between Durango and Silverton was quite rough. I didn't see any rafters on my railroad excursion, so I don't know whether they allow rafting on that part of the river or it was too early. However, there was a hut on Main Ave offering rafting packages. i would imagine that you would have to be an expert rafter to go on the Animas River.

DURANGO /SILVERTON

by ylisa

"MY SUMMER VACATION 2005"

THIS SUMMER TRIP INVOLVED FLYING TO ALB. NEW MEXICO, GOING TO DURANGO FOR A DAY AND A HALF. TAKING THE TRAIN TO SIVERTON GOING TO TELLURIDE (3 DAYS) OURAY , BLACK CANYON ,CRESTED BUTTE (2 DAYS), SAND DUNES IN COLORADO AND FINISHING IN SANTA FE , NEW MEXICO (2 DAYS). A WELL PLANNED FUN SUMMER ADVENTURE!!!!

Kelhunter's new Durango Page

by Kelhunter

Incredible mountain biking. A group of about 14 of us stayed at the camping ground north of town. Wouldn't recommend it again. Instead I'd camp either on the mtn at purgatory or where JOnes Creek Trail starts in Durango. Completely beautiful views. The Steamboat restaurant has excellent food and a great balcony... otherwise the service and food in this town pretty much sucks (the only other good service we got was at Denny's!... and we went out 11 times!) Great trails are: The Colorado Trail, JOnes Creek, The 18 mile trail that starts in Purgatory (forgot the name of it). All excellent.

Comments