2002 Main Ave., Durango, Colorado, 81301-4635, United States
Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Durango

Durango, Co this is where it all starts folks!!Durango, Co this is where it all starts folks!!

Animas RiverAnimas River

San Juan MountainsSan Juan Mountains

me at the foot of Animas mountainme at the foot of Animas mountain

Things to do (especailly May 5th to May 9th) & random questions

by beatchfre

Hi there,

I live down in Santa Fe (4 hours away from Durango). My parents are coming to visit me from Scotland and like to show them Durango as well - I've been there before (just for day), so I already know that they'll love it.

I plan to arrive in Durango on May 5th around lunchtime and drive home the following day in the late afternoon (it's a very short visit, I know). My plan is to just explore downtown on Thursday, check into a hotel, and then have dinner/drinks. On the Friday morning, I was planning to go to Mesa Verde and then home.

Can anyone recommend some fun places for my parents? My dad is fascinated by the old west, and we all enjoy bars with live music. I need recommendations on places to eat that are very southwest (e.g. patrons having cowboy hats), and bars that are lively and not filled with a college crowd. Actually, can someone list all the popular bars in town?

Also, where can I find a detailed event listing for Durango? I've found various sites via Google, but they've been lacking. What (online) resources do the locals use to find out who's playing at bars/venues? I realize that we're only there for a short time, but it could be prolonged if there were something great going on!

When I was there we stayed at a Best Western or Holiday Inn (or something) just a few blocks from downtown. It was pretty reasonable, and I'd stay there again. However, is there anything nearby that's a lot more appealing to tourist e.g. log cabins surrounded by trees and rolling hills?

If anyone has any ideas on things to do while we're there, please feel free to share.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

- Best regards,
Lee

PS: Last time we went to Mesa Verde, we couldn't actually walk down to the structures. Is there somewhere we can phone in advance for passes, or is it first-come, first-serve?

RE: Things to do (especailly May 5th to May 9th) & random questions

by ridermirv

A great place to stay/eat/drink is the Strater hotel in downtown Durango. It's real old west style. The hotel was built in 1887, and has nostalgic rooms, a saloon, and a restaurant. There sometimes is a piano player and a saloon girl singing in the bar.

One of the best things to do in the area is take the Durango to Silverton single gauge railroad ride. It goes through some exremely beautiful scenery.

Hope that helps,

Marc

RE: RE: Things to do (especailly May 5th to May 9th) & random questions

by beatchfre

Thanks, Marc. The Strater hotel is now on the to-do list - it sounds ideal. Regarding the train, I was under the impression that it didn't start until May 7th? A previous post on here mentioned http://www.durangotrain.com - the schedule on there doesn't show anything before May 7th. Maybe a train runs throughout the year, but the one on that site is a special "touristy train" TM or something?

Assuming a train is running, would it be a day-trip. Is Silverton worth getting off at?

Thanks for your help.

- Lee

RE: RE: Things to do (especailly May 5th to May 9th) & random questions

by ridermirv

I rode it in December, but it was back in 1997. It didn't go the whole route because of the snow. So maybe it will run for a condensed route before May.

Silverton is worth stopping at. It has alot of old west buildings.

Marc

RE: Mesa Verde

by uk2usa

To go down to the actual ruins you need to get a ticket for a fixed time at the visitor centre near the park entrance. This is many miles from the actual ruins and if you did not know about it you could easily skip the visitor centre and press on to the ruins only to find you cant get in. There are limited numbers of tickets available.

Cliff Palace is awesome to visit - see picture on

but its quite a climb to get back up from so only go for this if your parents are reasonably fit.

UK

Travel Tips for Durango

Sparsely populated

by goingsolo

Durango has approximately 14,000 residents. As one person put it, Durango is a big small town. The low population density is evident in this photo which shows how far apart the houses are and how much wide open undeveloped space there is.

million dollar highway

by ylisa

If your in Durango . It is worth going up to the million dollar highway . This is a stretch of highway North of the town . The highway has many pull- offs with beautiful scenery . Some consider it one of the prettiest in the country . The best stretch is from Silverton to Ouray . Beware the drive is difficult . Many winding roads with no guard rails . If that makes you nervous .....still do it . It's worth it !!!!!

The City before Mesa Verde National Park

by ATXtraveler

"A night before"

Sarah and I decided to leave Santa Fe one night early, as we knew we had a long drive before us the next day. Instead of driving straight to Mesa Verde, we enjoyed an evening in Durango. It was enjoyable, and I would go back here again, maybe for more than a couple hours and dinner.

The OTHER Durango, Colorado Page

by donsgal

"All about it...."

Because of my job, I spend about 6 months a year in Durango. Since I am not a mountain biker, hiker, or out door enthusiast check out my pages to get the skinny on what a "regular" person thinks of Durango. (Caution, most of it ain't pretty.)

Comments