Aspen Lodge

Hiking and Walking National/State Park Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities

Horrible

by written on July 27, 2014

I would give them 0 stars if possible. I attended a family reunion at Aspen Lodge over the 4th of July 2014. This resort (I use the term resort loosely) should not have been open to the public. The pool was closed, the lake inaccessible because of overgrown weeds and mud blocking the path to the dock; the dock looked dangerous and should have been closed. The streets and paths were covered in mud; the grounds were full of weeds, which were not mowed (no grass).
This place is under new ownership; the new owners have the benefit of relying on great reviews from times gone by before the mudslide disaster in 2013. They clearly don't have the funds to recover from the mudslide, and are relying on unsuspecting vacationers to stay there under misleading claims on their website to recover the funds.
We stayed in a cabin, which was filthy. The coffee maker clearly had not been cleaned after the mudslide, nor had the TV remote. The tabletops were filthy as well. Our landline phone did not work. We were only able to call the front desk, which was unfortunate, because there is terrible cell phone service in the area, and the Internet service is terrible as well. We were told they only have 5 megabytes available for guests and staff. I was unable to get cell phone service the four days I stayed there.
The cabin only had one small window that opened. When we were in the cabin, we left the door open (no screen) to catch a breeze. Our side door, off our bedroom, opened to a foot drop-off. The floor had carpet, but it was squishy and uneven, making me wonder what was underneath. The cabin smelled moldy as well. I bought my own toilet paper because the housekeeping service was non-existent. I also bought my own garbage bags, and put the garbage out my door for pick-up because no one came to the cabin to do so. We were told with a smile they had only two housekeeping staff to attend to the entire resort.
The pool was closed, and from the looks of it, won't be open for a long long time; perhaps years. The lake was inaccessible because the dock path was overgrown with weeds and mud. When we tracked through the overgrowth to get to the dock, we found it dangerous and tilted. The dock should be closed until repaired. There is no path around the lake; the weeds have overtaken any walkway that may have been there in the past.
Our horseback riding experiences or lack thereof were interesting. My young nephew fell off his horse because his saddle slipped upside down (clearly the staff member who saddled the horse was inexperienced). My nephew was lucky he was not injured. My son and his girlfriend made a reservation to ride the following morning at 11:00 AM and were told they might be riding alone as no one else had made reservations. The next morning, they received a call at 8:00 AM telling them they were overbooked, and they could not accommodate them at that time. My son protested, and explained he was the first to make reservations for that time, and was told another family, with a larger party took precedence.
The recreation center was not staffed. My husband was able to walk through the center, onto the pool deck. This would have been disastrous if a young child did this and fell into the mucky pool. I'm guessing there are numerous code violations throughout the resort.
The food was terrible. If you are unfortunate enough to stay here, do yourself a favor and don't eat here. It is well worth the half hour drive to Estes Park to get a decent meal.

Although it was wonderful seeing family members from across the United States all together again, this was an unfortunate gathering place. We were mislead about the accommodations. The main reasons we chose this location was because of the pool and lake; both of which were inaccessible. The little ones had nothing to do. The grounds were so overrun with weeds and mud; they could not even play outside. There were no grassy areas with picnic tables or chairs; no outdoor gathering spots except adjoining the Lodge; which had food and beverage restrictions (can't bring your own). All our family get-togethers had to be inside, eating and drinking their food and beverages.

One of our family members stayed here years ago and loved it. She said it is nothing like it was in the past. Aspen Lodge should not be open to the public at this time. Although the staff smiled through all our complaints, no amount of courtesy could make up for everything else. I will never stay here again.

by written on November 7, 2012

This place is horrible for events! DO NOT BOOK HERE!! Their "event coordinator", Samantha Ross, is completely incompetent. She claims that she has done this for 15 years, but clearly has no experience planning weddings. I tried to book my wedding here, but after 13 weeks of being jerked around, I finally went elsewhere. Samantha LIEDto me on numberous things! She told me we could bring our own alcohol, but then completely changed her story when I was ready to sign a contract. She told me she could get different wines than what is listed, but then changed her mind because it would require her to do more work. Her staff lied several times that Samantha was not working, but then she'd call me back 5 min later (thus she was working). She does not return voicemails or emails in a timely manner. Her staff told me that everything was fair game to negotiate, but then there was no negotiating at all. They pour 5 glasses per bottle of wine, when it is a universal fact that there are 4 glasses of wine per bottle. Their alcohol prices are over 300% markup on retail price. If you want anything different than what is in their "package" deal, then this place is NOT WORTH IT! Samantha is a horrible "event coordinator" and I hope that no one has to endure what I had to endure with her. I would not trust her to plan any kind of event for me in the future.

Diamondface Oct 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM

NOT AS ADVERTISED! The management here is unprofessional, unclean, and has no integrity - this place appears to be a commune not a lodge. Customer BEWARE!

Nearby Aspen Lodge

• Continental Breakfast
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Estes Park Travel Forum

Need advice about Estes Park, Colorado? Visit the Travel Forum for Estes Park and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Estes Park hotel reviews

Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Estes Park
BBQ heaven
Restaurants
Recommended by Homer Simpson!
Outstanding Barbeque, Fun Atmosphere
Restaurants
a wide variety of sandwiches and breakfast items
Awesome Fresh Mexican Food - Family Friendly
The Stanley Hotel
Hiking Homestead Meadows,Roosevelt National Forest
Lobster Cheesecake Anyone?
Restaurants
Really bad food worse service
Deli
The Best BBQ in Colorado
A range of things to do
Being in the Clouds absorbs You
Things to Do
Estes Park Brewery - Don't go for the food!
Where The Upscale Shops Are
Shopping
Riverspointe Spa- Great Place!
Pamper yourself & friends at Riverspointe Spa
Stanley Hotel
A NICE MEAL
VISIT BIG RED OF THE ROCKIES IN ESTES PARK
Things to Do
Don't be fooled by the promise of "view"