Bighorn Moutain Lodge

1340 Big Thompson Avenue, Estes Park, Colorado, 80517, United States
Coyote Mountain Lodge
Booking.com AMOMA.com Priceline.com

More about Estes Park

THE BIG THOMPSON RIVER RUSHING BY STORESTHE BIG THOMPSON RIVER RUSHING BY STORES

JumpingMARIAN, Vter bulusan, Estes Park, ColoradoJumpingMARIAN, Vter bulusan, Estes Park, Colorado

Welcome Center GroundsWelcome Center Grounds

Great Backdrop!Great Backdrop!

Where to stay in Estes Park........what is weather and crowds like in Oct. 07?

by tradeforcash

Well, we decided to go to Colorado in Oct. for our vacation, and are looking at several places in Estes Park for 3 or 4 days......Anyone know anything about the Black Creek lodge? It looked pretty good on the net......

Also, what should the weather be like? I figured around mid 60's for highs...

we will also be hitting Denver for a couple of days.....so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Chad

Re: Where to stay in Estes Park........what is weather and crowds like in Oct. 07?

by malianrob

A couple of years ago I went to Estes Park in October as well. There were no crowds, and everything was alittle cheaper than during the high season, (summer time and winter time). In October its called mud season. There wasnt alot to do but we still had a great time. Drove all over the place and got to know Colorado alittle bit. It was chilly but not too bad.

by LinColorado

Usually October will be a little chilly but pleasant in Estes Park. Usually Trail Ridge Road closes in late Sept or October. Expect nice weather but be prepared for snow.

Travel Tips for Estes Park

THE RAM

by Rich62

THE BIGHORN RAM IS THE STATE ANIMAL OF COLORADO AS WELL AS THE MASCOT OF COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY IN FORT COLLINS.

THIS RAM STANDS GUARD AT THE EAST END OF ELKHORN AVENUE. YOU PASS IT AS YOU ENTER THE DOWNTOWN SECTION OF ESTES PARK. GOTTA LOVE THE RAM

Hiking with Henrik

by TheCamille

Hiking in Estes.The improved trails are challenging and still fun. Lovely park with wheelchair accessable trails! I saw several people with different levels of disabilities enjoying the great views. Make sure to bring broken in hiking shoes or boots. I had new ones that I had only worn twice and I had blisters!!!

Climb the rocks next to a waterfall

by Packerman

My friend, Ken, and I took the road less travelled by, a very narrow road that the park attendent suggested to us. It is a one-way road about 4 miles from the East entrance of the park. We came across this large waterfall where a few people were. It was very cool because we climed the big boulders alongside the waterfall. We only got halfway up, but the view was great!

Where the Locals Eat Breakfast

by Shaken_Bake about Mountain Home Cafe

This restaurant is known as where the locals go for breakfast and lunch. It's in the strip mall next to Safeway, so it doesn't have the benefit of a central location of many other popular establishments, although plenty of free parking is a draw! The decor is mom-and-pop diner; crafts and photographs on the wall and unremarkable tables and booths in a brightly lit space. They also have a small outdoor patio for warm weather dining. They serve breakfast and lunch all day until 2:30 pm (no dinner service).

We arrived around 10 am on a Columbus Day Monday and were surprised at the crowd; the hostess explained that because they never usually have such traffic on a weekday, they only had one waitress for all the tables. We weren't in a hurry and agreed to be patient with the service. The waitress was friendly and apologetic and the wait to get our orders was not unduly long.

The Mountain Home Cafe menu has an extensive menu with standard breakfast and lunch fare. Fruity pancakes are popular, as well as their famous Baked Alaska Oatmeal. Unfortunately, my meal selection wasn't as tasty as I expected! I ordered a Veggie Scramble (no further description), which seemed harmless enough. Yuck! I expected the vegetables to be onions, peppers and tomatoes, what one would normally find in an omelet. What I got was formerly frozen carrots, peas and zucchini tossed into scrambled eggs! I was able to separate the vegetables from the egg and have enough to eat, but given the service situation, I didn't want to complain. My bad for not confirming what was in the dish! My husband had pancakes and sausage and enjoyed every bite!

The prices seem to be on par with other tourist breakfast spots; our bill totalled $17.00 including coffee, tea and juice. The portions were generous and came with sides like hashbrowns and toast, so it's not a bad value. Although I didn't have good luck with my order, I would try them again and make sure I asked about what goes into the dish if I'm not sure! Anything else but the Veggie Scramble!

by Yorick12

No visit to Estes Park is complete without a visit to the Stanley. The hotel is now over 100 years old! It's most famous for inspiring Steven King's novel "The Shining." The hotel does not allow visitors to freely wander the hallways if you're staying, but the lobby, gift shop and bar are open to everyone. If you'd like to see more, but aren't staying, you can take a ghost tour ($15) of the hotel. The hotel is a step back in time and the view from the grounds is incredible.

Comments