800 Big Thompson Ave, Estes Park, Colorado, 80517, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Discovery Lodge

Dream Location and Fun, Friendly staff- A Pleasant Surpirse

by TripAdvisor Member AZVagabonder

After watching too many horror movies about scary motor lodges and hearing too many urban legends about dirty mattresses, I have always been hesitant to stop and small independent motels in towns I am not familiar with. But, in the middle of peak summer season in Estes Park without a reservation, the pickin's were slim. I found this jewel located right on the executive golf course just a half mile from the downtown area AND the lake. It really doesn't look like much from the outside, and it's far from fancy, but I thought it was great. The lodge was sold out but for one room, a two bedroom bungalow right in front of their on-site pond. It's totally basic but had a wood burning fireplace, two bedrooms, and great adirondack chairs on the patio where we could sit and watch the elk walk literally up to our front door. The views were spectatcular, the staff was fun and couteous and cut me a great deal. We were only going to stay one night and ended up staying three because we loved it so much. It was so close to downtown, we were able to stay out drinking and safely stumble home with no driving! I know it's not a four star hotel, hell it's probably not even a three star, but we loved it and will be back next year. In fact, I am planning the trip now and came across this site and some of the negative reviews. Kind of a bummer but I really think it just comes down to expectation. Here you get clean rooms, great location, and friendly staff that makes you want to come back. What else do you need?

The best summer of my life

by TripAdvisor Member BaTerka

We are from the Czech Republic (Europe) and last summer we spent in Colorado. One week we were in Estes Park because we like mountains and it is close to Rocky Mountain NP. Friends recommended us hotel Discovery Lodge. It wasn´t expensive and we were there very satisfied. Our room was comfortable and clean. And staff was very helpfull. Every evening we hade whirpool bath. Vicinage is nice too.

Fun for me and my dog!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member PrettyBasenji

Just me and my pound mutt (who appears to be a prettier than usual Basenji) stayed for one night and decided to stay for another. Some of the hotels / motels were closed for the season still, but one grouping of rooms at Discovery was open. My room had a fabulous view of the lake and the mountains. There was a small outdoor deck I didn't have time to enjoy. Even though it was on the highway, the rooms were quiet, since they sit below the street level. And, the room felt larger than the usual.

Yes, Discovery gladly take dogs. You might ask for poo pick up bags at the desk if you forgot yours. I did my part to keep the grounds clean and friendly for the next person, and hope you will, too. There is a lot of area for you and your dog to walk / run / enjoy.

The staff was just great, too. I was well accommodated on all needs. And, they were just very friendly, making me feel comfortable and welcome. It is convenient to all of Estes, too. Oh, and I connected to the internet easily with good service at every try.

The coffee is in the office / lounge area. Since I've been spoiled, I would have liked it in my room, but traveling with my pup, well, it got me out with her earlier to soak up the fabulous views. And, I'm glad to give up one convenience for their better rates.

I'm sure there are nicer placed to stay in Estes, but for the money, I thought I got a really fair deal. Go there. You will enjoy your stay. -- Elizabeth

Superb hospitality to equal the view!

by TripAdvisor Member janan_nancy

My mom and I had just moved to Colorado and stayed at the lodge a month. It was a wonderful way to be welcomed into this beautiful state! The staffs' hospitality was outstanding! They were always there to help us with whatever needs we may have had. I was looking for jobs and it was so convenient to have access to wireless internet from our room (they also have a computer in the lobby). There are breathtaking panoramic views of the Rocky mountains that surround the lodge. The location was great, to walk to downtown only took five minutes! We plan on staying here whenever we are in Estes Park and will recommend it to our friends and family for sure!

Cozy night stay in the mountains with brisk mountain air and soft sheets.

by TripAdvisor Member jmcobb84

I came up here with some friends to enjoy a short weekend in the mountains. What we found was an accommodating lodge with friendly staff which was also pet friendly. I wish we would have brought the dogs, alas we didn't think any lodging would accommodate them. Next time, they're coming for sure. Our connecting rooms were very clean, roomy, cozy, affordable and offered a beautiful view of the mountains and the pond. We'll have to bring our golf clubs up next time as well because the golf course is a minute walk from the door. Great location. Walking distance to restaurants, bars, shops, supermarket and liquor store. We are coming back to Discovery Lodge with our golf clubs, our dogs, and our telescope for viewing the night sky on a blanket out by the Discovery Lodge's pond.

Lovely getaway out of the city with my dog!

by TripAdvisor Member denver_dog_CO

It is a great place to get out of the rat race. Comfortable, clean hotel rooms with great access to the hot tub. It was nice to be able to walk into town and not worry about driving or parking in the town. Love the view!

a nice place.. to have fun

by TripAdvisor Member liwaste

Its a nice place to have fun.. I love the hot tub.. particularly when it snows, The are pet friendly, and the staff is really nice. Rooms were exceptionally clean, I wish they had bigger TVs other than that.. this is a good place for your bucks. every thing in town is at a walkable distance . I loved this place mainly because of the friendly staff.

Great Friendly Staff, Awesome Value, Gorgeous Views

by TripAdvisor Member TravelAdventuredDiva

This was a great place to stay. The staff was extremely friendly and made me feel right at home. The manager was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious and very clean. I was even able to bring my dog! It is also just a short walk to downtown so you can easily catch a bite to eat a get a lil' Estes Park night life. You should stay here!

What a surprise

by TripAdvisor Member OutdoorsGrl

My husband and I took a spur of the moment trip up to the Discovery Lodge 3 years ago just after getting married and had a great time. Since then, we have been back several times and were delighted with the new management. They were full of ideas about what to do and where it eat in Estes.

I would highly reccomend the rooms with a fireplace, very romantic.The location and price are ideal. You are within walking distance of downtown and just a short drive to Rocky Mountian National Park.

The BEST Place to Stay and RELAX!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Bigmustache

The VERY BEST place to stay in Estes...BY FAR!!! Have stayed at over 20 various lodges in EP in the last 25 yrs and it's the tops!! Pet friendly!! GREAT views!!! GREAT rates!! GREAT staff!! Ask for David and you'll be taken care of!! We stay at Discovery Lodge ever May and Sept (for the last 8 yrs) and would NEVER stay any place else. Clean, user friendly, casual and relaxed. Just what a vacation stay should be!!!

Comments