Rams Horn Village Resort

1565 Colorado Highway 66, Estes Park, Colorado, 80517, United States

More about Estes Park

THE DRAMATIC ENTRANCE TO ESTES PARKTHE DRAMATIC ENTRANCE TO ESTES PARK

JumpingMARIAN, Vter bulusan, Estes Park, ColoradoJumpingMARIAN, Vter bulusan, Estes Park, Colorado

Estes ParkEstes Park

FrontageFrontage

Old Fall River Road

by imamtngirl

We'll be in Estes next summer for the 4th and we'd like to drive up the Old Fall River Road. I'm looking for advice from someone who's been on it. Is it rough enough that we should have 4-wheel drive?

I've driven it in a standard car

by PR-7

and had no real problems. The official NPS guide

www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/old_fall_river_road.htm

does not mention a need for special vehicles.

HOWEVER, this is NOT an all-weather road. Do NOT attempt it if there is ANY chance of wet weather before or during your journey.

RE: RE: Old Fall River Road

by imamtngirl

Thanks for the link, it's very helpful. I like the history of the road. It must have been quite an adventure to drive on back in the day. I'm really happy that it's just one way now. I'd hate to have to worry about meeting someone coming the other way on a steep switchback. I'm looking forward to being in Estes Park & Rocky Mtn Natl Park again. It's our favorite place in the lower 48.

RE: Old Fall River Road

by Sagespot

I've only taken the road once, in August, in my Mini Cooper and we did fine. The weather was rough, and we had to wait in the park for them to open the pass, but once they did the roads and such seemed fine. Gravel and wet, but not dangerous. You can pretty much rest assured that the park rangers won't let you on until it's safe. Enjoy the drive - I know we did!

Travel Tips for Estes Park

Tourist Stop

by Sagespot

If you've never been to Estes Park before than make sure you stop at the visitor center located off Highway 34 near the junction wtih Highway 36/7.

Not only do they have a HUGE selection of brochures about things to do in the Estes Park area, but this is also a great place to inquire if Trail Ridge Road is open. (If not then you'll be driving quite a ways into the park before you know that you'll have to turn around.)

Also there is a really cute little river walk behind the center that's great for getting some nice photos of the mountains. When I'm not near Estes Park, I always think of the drives through the Big Thompson Canyon on the way up to the city. It's always very beautiful.

Biking

by OlenaKyiv

The trail around Lake Estes is very nice for biking. It is not the hardest one, but you'll meet some hills. Also you may go West towards dowtown where shops are and have a cup of coffee or tea. Almost every shop has a place where you can leave your bike to have a rest.

Pay your attention that riding bikes is not allowed in shopping areas. I saw those signs when I left that area, but people were kind to me and gave me a way.

Creek

by OlenaKyiv

When you are on one of the main streets where shops and restaurants located, you should go to the South part of that area.

Why?

First of all you'll find nice shadow from trees there.

Secondly, cold creek runs there. I think it is very nice. It gives some feeling of wilderness to that modern area of civilization.

Best Italian in Town

by WanderingAimlessly about Sweet Basilico Cafe

The food is outstanding! The restaurant is very small, so reservations are recommend, even during off-peak season. We went early and got a lucky break and a table. There is no ambience but the service and food make up for it. Everything on the menu looks delicious. I had the chicken fettucine alfredo. The best garlic and cheese sauce in the world. Best dining experience we had in all of Estes Park.

Aerial Tramway

by Tom_Fields

The Estes Park Aerial Tramway takes visitors to the summit of Prospect Mountain, overlooking the town and offering the best views of the Rockies. At the top is a small gift shop. From here, one can hike to the summit, but there are too many trees to see very much.

It's a favorite place for people to feed tidbits to the small chipmunks and ground squirrels. This is one place where it's OK; they're at least semi-tame. It's not like the National Parks. Of course, I was too cheap to buy any food for them, but still managed to get some good photos.

Comments