333 Wonderview, Estes Park, Colorado, 80517, United States

See Amenities

Stanley Stinker

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 4, 2009

I have stayed at the Stanley Hotel. I thought it would be a romantic place to celebrate are 10th wedding anniversary. I booked a "suite" and I use the term lightly! You have to ask to be in the main Hotel your placed in a satalite building which might as well be any hotel within Estes Park. I insisted for the suite in the main hotel and what a disapointment it was. A small room with a bathroom you could bearly stand up in. Looked more like a boarding house room than a suite. During our first morning out exploring Estes Park one of the stanleys staff members raided through our luggage and stole a diamond anniversary band my husband planned on giving me that evening. The hotel refused to accept any responsibility but did offer us a free nights stay if we wanted to come back another time. HUH, not likely. Go and visit the Stanley, check out the lobby and museum thats all free. Just don't waste your money staying there.

Unique Quality: Nice sunday brunch

Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Hotel That Inspired the Shining

by written on September 28, 2008

I didn't actually stay here, but just had to take a look at it. This hotel was built by F.O. Stanley, who invented the famed Stanley Steamer car, over a century ago. One of these is on display at the museum.

It was this hotel that inspired the Stephen King novel The Shining, which the late Stanley Kubrick made into one of the best horror movies ever made. So take a few minutes to have a look.

Directions: North of downtown, opposite from the Knoll.

OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

The shining

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 18, 2005

The Stanley Hotel was the inspiration and home to the author, Stephen King, during the creatiion of his thriller "Shining".

In 1977 film director Stanley Kurbick created this best seller into the famous movie "The Shining", starring Jack Nicholson and Shelly Duval. Director Kurbick did not use the Stanley Hotel in his film and rewrote parts of the book for the movie. Kurbick decided that in Stanley there was not enough snow, the town was too close to the hotel, and there wasn't enough electrical power for the filming. Kurbick made exterior shots of the Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood in Oregon, and then moved to England where hotel sets were built and an English hedge maze was used.

This promted Stephen King to return to the Stanley and retell the story in his made for television movie "The Shining", that was featured on ABC TV April 27,28 and May 1st, 1997.

The interesting fact is that a couple days before my travel to Estes Park I watched on TV "The Shining" and was told that it was created in Colorado. Imagine what a surprise for me was to see that place I longed to meet with.

OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

It is gorgeous and old

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 18, 2005

I didn't stay in this hotel because it is pretty expansive. But it was nice to walk around and to listen to sound of old floor, to smell the taste of old hotel.

The hotel was opened in 1903. F.O. Stanley arrived in Estes Park in 1903. On the 160 acres he perchased from Lord Dunraven, Stanley first built the main building of the hotel, one of 11 buildings in the original complex. Now the territory of Hotel is 55 acres. Some buildings built by Stanley are still on this land.
Construction of the Main Building began in 1907 and took two years to complete.
By his dying year in 1940, Stanley developed a sewer, power and water company, as well as Estes Park's first bank.

The traditional queen in Stanley Hotel is from $169 in season and from $129 off season time.

If you are very reach and you don't know where to spend your money, you may rent Presidential cottage for $1 500 per night, and you'll enjoy 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 baths with 3 jacuzzitubs and other stuff.

goingsolo's Profile Photo

Stanley Hotel

by written on January 21, 2005

The Stanley Hotel is Estes Park's most luxurious resort. The hotel opened almost 100 years ago and has hosted many celebrities, including novelist Stephen King, who came up with the idea for The Shining while staying at the hotel.

I didn't stay here, as I think that luxury hotels and National Park trips don't mix well together, but was very impressed by the structure and what I'd heard about the hotel. This is probably more of a must see tip than a hotel tip, but for anyone who's interested, the hotel has regular rooms, suites and a Presidential cottage for visiting royalty or something like that. The restaurant is supposed to be very good and serves different types of meat and game.

Unique Quality: Its an old hotel, and, although remodeled, retains some of its period charm. The architecture is the best reason for visiting.

Etoile2B's Profile Photo

The Shining Hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 23, 2004

I haven't stayed here yet, but will be returning next year for a friend's wedding. When I was in Estes Park I did have the opportunity to spend some time here and check it out. Although I didn't see any of the guest rooms the rest of the hotel is lovely. They have worked hard to keep the Stanley well conditioned and yet historical. The grounds are beautiful as is the interior of the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. This hotel has a lot of history surrounding it. I have a friend getting married here next summer, so I had the opportunity to check out their reception rooms which are gorgeous. The hotel is located up on a hill, affording excellent views of the nearby Rocky Mountains. I cannot wait to stay here next year!

Unique Quality: The Stanley is famous due largely in part to it's reputation as the hotel featured in the Jack Nicholson version of the movie "The Shining". It has a haunted history to go alongside with it's creepy status. It is also a historical hotel and has been preserves impeccably.

laceyoliveann Jun 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I am severely disappointed with the service I've received and have hired a private company for another paranormal tour which is much more expensive, but worth it, merely for the customer service.

I was told I could call this week to give my deposit for Ghost Tour tickets and today when I call the tickets are "no longer available." After speaking with numerous supervisors, I was told "we've just hired new people and I apologize." I appreciate the apology, but have a hard time swallowing that statement, as training at your facility should not reflect toward the customer. I've also chosen to stay at a different hotel because of this mishap.

I will not be recommending the tour or hotel to friends/family. No concessions were made.

Nearby The Stanley Hotel

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Estes Park Travel Forum

Need advice about Estes Park, Colorado? Visit the Travel Forum for Estes Park and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Estes Park hotel reviews

Super 8 Motel Estes Park

Explore Deeper into Estes Park
BBQ heaven
Restaurants
Recommended by Homer Simpson!
Outstanding Barbeque, Fun Atmosphere
Restaurants
a wide variety of sandwiches and breakfast items
Awesome Fresh Mexican Food - Family Friendly
St. Catherine's Church
Hiking Homestead Meadows,Roosevelt National Forest
Lobster Cheesecake Anyone?
Restaurants
Really bad food worse service
Deli
The Best BBQ in Colorado
A range of things to do
Being in the Clouds absorbs You
Things to Do
Estes Park Brewery - Don't go for the food!
Where The Upscale Shops Are
Shopping
Riverspointe Spa- Great Place!
Pamper yourself & friends at Riverspointe Spa
Stanley Hotel
A NICE MEAL
VISIT BIG RED OF THE ROCKIES IN ESTES PARK
Things to Do
Don't be fooled by the promise of "view"