333 Wonderview, Estes Park, Colorado, 80517, United States

Stanley Hotel
Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Stanley Stinker

I have stayed at the Stanley Hotel. I thought it would be a romantic place to celebrate are 10th wedding anniversary. I booked a "suite" and I use the term lightly! You have to ask to be in the main Hotel your placed in a satalite building which might as well be any hotel within Estes Park. I insisted for the suite in the main hotel and what a disapointment it was. A small room with a bathroom you could bearly stand up in. Looked more like a boarding house room than a suite. During our first morning out exploring Estes Park one of the stanleys staff members raided through our luggage and stole a diamond anniversary band my husband planned on giving me that evening. The hotel refused to accept any responsibility but did offer us a free nights stay if we wanted to come back another time. HUH, not likely. Go and visit the Stanley, check out the lobby and museum thats all free. Just don't waste your money staying there.

Unique Quality: Nice sunday brunch

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Hotel That Inspired the Shining

I didn't actually stay here, but just had to take a look at it. This hotel was built by F.O. Stanley, who invented the famed Stanley Steamer car, over a century ago. One of these is on display at the museum.

It was this hotel that inspired the Stephen King novel The Shining, which the late Stanley Kubrick made into one of the best horror movies ever made. So take a few minutes to have a look.

Directions: North of downtown, opposite from the Knoll.

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

The shining

The Stanley Hotel was the inspiration and home to the author, Stephen King, during the creatiion of his thriller "Shining".

In 1977 film director Stanley Kurbick created this best seller into the famous movie "The Shining", starring Jack Nicholson and Shelly Duval. Director Kurbick did not use the Stanley Hotel in his film and rewrote parts of the book for the movie. Kurbick decided that in Stanley there was not enough snow, the town was too close to the hotel, and there wasn't enough electrical power for the filming. Kurbick made exterior shots of the Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood in Oregon, and then moved to England where hotel sets were built and an English hedge maze was used.

This promted Stephen King to return to the Stanley and retell the story in his made for television movie "The Shining", that was featured on ABC TV April 27,28 and May 1st, 1997.

The interesting fact is that a couple days before my travel to Estes Park I watched on TV "The Shining" and was told that it was created in Colorado. Imagine what a surprise for me was to see that place I longed to meet with.

• OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

It is gorgeous and old

I didn't stay in this hotel because it is pretty expansive. But it was nice to walk around and to listen to sound of old floor, to smell the taste of old hotel.

The hotel was opened in 1903. F.O. Stanley arrived in Estes Park in 1903. On the 160 acres he perchased from Lord Dunraven, Stanley first built the main building of the hotel, one of 11 buildings in the original complex. Now the territory of Hotel is 55 acres. Some buildings built by Stanley are still on this land.
    Construction of the Main Building began in 1907 and took two years to complete.
    By his dying year in 1940, Stanley developed a sewer, power and water company, as well as Estes Park's first bank.

The traditional queen in Stanley Hotel is from $169 in season and from $129 off season time.

If you are very reach and you don't know where to spend your money, you may rent Presidential cottage for $1 500 per night, and you'll enjoy 5 bedrooms, 4 1/2 baths with 3 jacuzzitubs and other stuff.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Stanley Hotel

The Stanley Hotel is Estes Park's most luxurious resort. The hotel opened almost 100 years ago and has hosted many celebrities, including novelist Stephen King, who came up with the idea for The Shining while staying at the hotel.

I didn't stay here, as I think that luxury hotels and National Park trips don't mix well together, but was very impressed by the structure and what I'd heard about the hotel. This is probably more of a must see tip than a hotel tip, but for anyone who's interested, the hotel has regular rooms, suites and a Presidential cottage for visiting royalty or something like that. The restaurant is supposed to be very good and serves different types of meat and game.

Unique Quality: Its an old hotel, and, although remodeled, retains some of its period charm. The architecture is the best reason for visiting.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

The Shining Hotel

I haven't stayed here yet, but will be returning next year for a friend's wedding. When I was in Estes Park I did have the opportunity to spend some time here and check it out. Although I didn't see any of the guest rooms the rest of the hotel is lovely. They have worked hard to keep the Stanley well conditioned and yet historical. The grounds are beautiful as is the interior of the hotel. The staff was friendly and helpful. This hotel has a lot of history surrounding it. I have a friend getting married here next summer, so I had the opportunity to check out their reception rooms which are gorgeous. The hotel is located up on a hill, affording excellent views of the nearby Rocky Mountains. I cannot wait to stay here next year!

Unique Quality: The Stanley is famous due largely in part to it's reputation as the hotel featured in the Jack Nicholson version of the movie "The Shining". It has a haunted history to go alongside with it's creepy status. It is also a historical hotel and has been preserves impeccably.

More about The Stanley Hotel

The Stanley Hotel in Estes...

by missnghawaii

The Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. This is the hotel that inspired Stephen King to write The Shining, and was the location when they made the TV mini-series from his story. The building is old, but elegant, and the hillside location gives spectacular views of the Rockies.

by traveldave

Opened by F.O. Stanley in 1909, the Stanley Hotel has become a Colorado institution, and a prominent landmark in Estes Park.

Rooms are comfortably furnished and offer guests views of the nearby mountains. The hotel boasts a gift shop; restaurants; and a museum displaying Stanley's steamer automobile, samples from his photography business, and examples of early airbrushes, which were invented by his brother. The hotel is also the setting for murder mystery parties. (The Stanley Hotel was the inspiration for the setting of Stephen King's novel, The Shining, and the movie of the same name).

It is widely believed that the Stanley Hotel is haunted. There have been numerous sightings of apparitions and reports of unexplained voices and sounds. This prompted two popular televisions programs, Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures to film episodes here, making the Stanley Hotel a must-see destination for those interested in the paranormal.

(The picture to the left is...

by Teledude

(The picture to the left is from the Stanley Hotel's brochure) In Boulder, if you can afford it, stay just one night in the Hotel Bouderado - Rocky Mountain elegance. In Estes Park stay where the ghosts of The Shining do-at the majestic Stanley Hotel. In Aspen (http://www.aspen.com/ ), stay anyplace you can afford to-which doesn't leave much! While staying in Glenwood Springs (http://www.glenscape.com/) you have to take a dip in the hot springs in town. In Durango (http://www.godurango.com/ ), find a nice B&B. That goes for Teluride (http://telluride.org/ ) also! For the more budget conscious there are myriad B&B's throughout the state-just look up any phone book. There is a small quaint hostel up in the mountains in Nederland (see my Nederland page) west of Boulder. It is a real mountain town-small and somewhat disorderly. There are a few local bars that serve great food but are more known for their beer and love of bluegrass music almost nightly. Personally, my favorite way to travel in this state is to camp wherever I can. There are National forests, Wilderness areas, Nat'l Rec areas, Nat'l & state parks and tons of other places that you can just plunk your bag down and crash for the night. Depending on your proximity to any city, you could feasible sleep for free every night! But, a warning-please don't trample flowers or any fragile areas for any reason. Find a spot that doesn't require you to 'prepare' your site. Use the most durable surfaces to walk and sleep on. Colorado is gorgeous and I'd like to keep it that way for my children someday.
Free (many camping areas) to Very expensive-Aspen, Hotel Boulderado, The Stanley. Most hotels in the major cities are pretty expensive in Winter when all the skiers come out but in the shoulder seasons-spring and fall, bargains can usually be found especially in the mountain towns. Camping is permited in all nat'l forests, but not all wilderness areas. Check with the local ranger office in the nearest town.

Honey, I'm Home!

I'm not sure what Stanley Hotel many of these reviewers were staying, but the one that my wife and I just stayed in was excellent. No problems with our room, service at the desk was excellent and the staff very courteous. So what that the elevator isn't working, I was in the mountains to hike so a few steps to my room was not that challenging. I was offered several times to be helped with our luggage. I have lived in an older home for many years and I find the restoration in good order from my previous stay a few years ago. It does take time to even restore an older home. We will go back and hopefully soon.

Stanley HotelStanley Hotel

LOBBY OF THE ELEGANT STANLEY HOTELLOBBY OF THE ELEGANT STANLEY HOTEL

Stanley Hotel in Estes ParkStanley Hotel in Estes Park

View from Stanley HotelView from Stanley Hotel

What is the weather like in June?

by bevjerry

Can anyone tell me what the typical weather is in mid to late June in Estes Park? We're thinking of going there for our 50th anniversary and staying at the Stanley Hotel. We are not fans of 90 degree weather so if it's in that range we'll think about another location. We were considering Yosemite until we looked at this past week's temperatures.

Re: What is the weather like in June?

by KimberlyAnn

Here is a link to the average temperatures in Estes Park, and average perciptation.

Be aware, however, that in mountain areas of the country, there can pretty much be cold weather any time of the year.

Re: What is the weather like in June?

by bevjerry

Thanks Kimberly. That is a very handy URL to have.

• Jun 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM

I am severely disappointed with the service I've received and have hired a private company for another paranormal tour which is much more expensive, but worth it, merely for the customer service.

I was told I could call this week to give my deposit for Ghost Tour tickets and today when I call the tickets are "no longer available." After speaking with numerous supervisors, I was told "we've just hired new people and I apologize." I appreciate the apology, but have a hard time swallowing that statement, as training at your facility should not reflect toward the customer. I've also chosen to stay at a different hotel because of this mishap.

I will not be recommending the tour or hotel to friends/family. No concessions were made.