526 Pine St., Glenwood Springs, Colorado, 81601, United States

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Colorado's Most Historic Hotel

I don't usually stay in swank resort hotels, which strain my budget. But this one is an exception. Its rich history, classic architecture, and excellent restaurant make it worth the stay.

The location is just off the interstate, and close to local attractions (most are well within walking distance).

Unique Quality: Built in 1893, by Walter Devereux, this grand old hotel has hosted many of Colorado's most distinguished visitors. Among them were Presidents William Taft and Theodore Roosevelt, the "Unsinkable" Molly Brown, and notorious gangsters such as Al Capone.

One day, after an unsuccessful hunt, Roosevelt was presented by the maids with a small stuffed toy bear made of scrap materials. His daughter Alyce named it "Teddy". That's the origin of the Teddy Bear.

Directions: At the north end of Grand Avenue. From I-70, take exit 116 and turn right on New River Drive. Then take another right on 6th St. The hotel will be on the left, across from the miniature golf course.

• kimod74's Profile Photo

Glenwood Springs most EXPENSIVE accommodations!

$175 a night/plus tax for ?????
    I wanted to treat my mom to a nice luxurious hotel and from the photos I saw of this place I thought how neat, we can stay in this turn of the century hotel (I love old historical buildings) and it looked so fabulous from the photographs we decided to give it a go.
    The pictures of the rooms are deceiving, they just did not look as nice as the pictures and I was disappointed that they were so "dingy". Hotel Colorado has a nice courtyard area with the bar and outdoor patio cafe, it is right on the street, they have their own parking lot, but it is about a block or so behind the hotel and you have to walk around, otherwise you have to park on the street. Oh and the Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant right across the street was oh so appealing on the eye!
    Anyways, the hotel is amidst the hustle and bustle and situated on the street, it has a little fountain in the courtyard area, but the photos I saw presented the hotel with these large fountains outdoors in the front, it all seemed very deceiving to me....
    With that said, the hotel inside, lobby area, etc. is gorgeous and resembled the way they built buildings back in the old days, solid, extravagent and LARGE. The hallways of the hotel are 5 times the size of the skinny hallways in modern hotels. The rooms were not at all what I expected or saw in the brochures for the hotel! I don't know if what they consider antiques in the room to be an old dresser, but the decor left much to be desired. NO coffee in the room! I have stayed in the cheapest motels to be found and they even provide you with a coffeemaker! No iron, ironing board or hairdryer, you have to call housekeeping to have those things brought up to your room.
    WARNING: This hotel has no air conditioning and at night (in the summer) I came back to my room and my bed was COVERED in gnat like bugs flying everywhere, it was terrible! They kept landing on my face all night long and I felt like they were biting me, EWWWWW!

Unique Quality: Historically speaking the building itself is very neat and a joy to walk around and marvel at the way they built things back in the "old days". They have a great outdoor bar and courtyard area which is very relaxing for enjoying a few drinks or having and outdoor dinner.
    I believe they have an exercise room, didn't use it. NO pool. They have a gift shop and restaurant and bar on site. Within walking distance to everything, just take the bridge over and it drops you right into downtown where there are a lot of restaurants, bars and shopping all within a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel.

Directions: By the Hot Springs Lodge and Pool.

More about Hotel Colorado

Waste of Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was very disappointed in my stay at the Hotel Colorado to say the least. I was thinking it would be this beautiful historic hotel and it was quite an unpleasant surprise. The lobby was pretty much gutted because they are renovating.
If you are planning on getting any sleep I wouldn't recommend staying here. People were slamming doors all night and morning. I could hear kids crying like they were in my room with me. There were people constantly walking up and down the hallways being loud. I couldn't sleep at all. I ended up paying close to $200.00 for one room with one bed and bathroom. It was definately not worth the money and I will never stay there again!!!!!!!! I have had a better experience staying in a Days Inn motel for $30.00 a night.

We had a great time!

by TripAdvisor Member HeidioftheRockies

I am surprised to see such bad reviews of the Hotel Colorado. My husband and I booked a package deal from Denver to Glenwood on Amtrak with a 2 night stay at the Hotel Colorado. We had stayed there five years ago - and despite reading bad reviews on trip advisor, we decided to stay again. They are remodeling - which is something they really need - despite the remodel we had a great time! The staff is friendly, our room was clean and good sized and we actually loved that they had moved the bar to the patio (for the remodel). We hope they keep a bar out there during summer - it was so relaxing to enjoy a glass of wine on the patio listening to the water fountain. Once small piece of advise, if you're going to rent a bike steer clear of the Canyon bike rental shop attached to the hotel - you can rent a bike in town for half the price. The hotel is old, that's the nature of an historical hotel! So if you aren't into old, don't stay at the Hotel Colorado - but if you are into ambiance and you love history, this is a great place to stay and I highly recommend it. Plus, it's close to the hot springs and the Amtrak package comes with 2 day passes to the pool. Lastly, I read reviews that the rooms don't have irons/ironing boards, when I called to reserve the room through the travel agency I asked about it - she said I could request one from the desk - when I showed up an iron and board were already in our room!

Good for some, bad for others

by TripAdvisor Member LiberryLady

My husband and I were attending a conference in late May held at the Hotel Colorado. I read all these reviews with some trepidation, but am happy to report that we had a fine time and the hotel was quite acceptable (if not top-notch). All the things others have mentioned are true: there is no air conditioning, they are really tearing things up due to a remodel, the hotel is quaint/old-looking, there is definitely noise around. So, it's not the place for everyone, but you can make it work for you.

Here's what we found. Though the highs in Glenwood soared into the upper 80s during the day, our room was always comfortable w/ the ceiling fan going and windows open (it got quite cool at nights). We booked a room on a lower floor, away from the patio bar, and away from the busy intersection...I think it was Rm. #213. Since it turned out to be at the end of a U-shaped hallway, we had no hallway or construction noise either. Yes, with the window open you will hear the train(s) at night ... bring earplugs if it bothers you. The bathroom is small (but charming) and the bed was a bit on the hard side for me, but the room was clean, had a large closet, and a surprising number of TV channels.

The outdoor patio/lawn area is a lovely place to sit and enjoy the nice weather, and the wing near the Roosevelt Room has a number of nice places to sit and enjoy a book inside. Like others have mentioned, the hotel has great proximity to the Hot Springs pool and to all the downtown shops and restaurants (just walk over the pedestrian bridge right outside the hotel).

The major disappointment for me was the problem with parking. Though we we told over the phone that "the hotel has a large parking lot in back," that's a ... generous interpretation of the situation. There is a parking lot for about 40 (?) cars, but that's hardly adequate for a hotel of this size (especially when hosting a conference). If you can't get a parking space in the lot, you must park on the streets around the hotel, and I would suggest you don't move your car! As a consequence, we were kind of "stranded" at the hotel during our weekend, limited in our exploration of Glenwood Springs to where we could get by foot. There was enough to do within walking distance to keep us busy, but we were hoping to see a few things farther afield.

So, take all this into consideration before making your reservation. Depending on your expectations, you CAN enjoy your stay here. We did!

Never Again

by TripAdvisor Member desertscubadiver

Unfortunately I did not make the reservation so I was unaware of what I was in for. The hotel was under renovation in the lobby area which made for a mess as well as smell from the new paint and stain being used. This I can understand, renovations have to completed sometime but what came next made me really unhappy.

Since there is no A/C in the rooms you have to rely on a cool breeze through your windows (if it comes), well, the hotel hired some entertainment from something out of the outcast of American Idol and he sang until 1:00am in the courtyard. The way the hotel is set up is like a big u around the courtyard with the windows facing the courtyard.
I think you can figure out either you shut the windows to try and defen the sound a little (don't forget hotel built in 1800's) and roast your a** off or you can open the windows and listen to the worst noise almost as if it was in your room.

After the wonderful night we headed over to the Hot Springs Pool to use our hotel passes we received with our hotel package, they were expired but the clerk at the hotel assured us we would have no problem, well guess what? Problem we had! That took a little while to straighten out between the Pool personnel and the hotel.

Oh, and our free breakfast that came with our package ended up showing up on our bill when we checked out. When we inquired for a refund we were advised we would only receive a $25.00 credit towards breakfast not a "free" breakfast, but of course this was neglected in the conversation when booking.

The bed was totally uncomfortable, supposed to be a queen but felt more like a double as well as hard as a rock. The fan olny worked on barely moving or airplane take off speed.
As others wrote you could here everybody in the hallway as well as closing doors.

Never Again!

Pathetic!

What was supposed to start off as a retreat from Denver heat turned out to be one of the worst nights I have ever experienced in a hotel. Hot doesn't describe what it's like to be in a room built in 1893 with ceiling fans and two box fans going full blast with the cobweb covered windows wide open all night long while trying to relax, muchless sleep. The carpets in our suite were filthy as evidenced by my 4 year olds dirty feet AFTER running around on the carpets for a few minutes after his bath. Room service? Forget it. Parking? Across the street adjacent to the KFC restaurant. The only thing this hotel has going for it is it's proximity to the Hot Springs pool. When I asked the bellmen why A/C was never installed he responded that the owners wanted to keep the Victorian charm. Right. If nothing else this hotel should have evaporative coolers available. The saddest thing about that night were an older couple that I spoke with in the elevator who had made a prolonged trip to stay at this hotel and were not aware that there was no A/C. Both had medical conditiions which made their stay I am quite sure more miserable than ours.

Very Disappointing!!

The plaster was falling from the walls, there were water stains on the ceiling in the bathroom. The rooms were so extremely hot. Parking was terrible. For over three hundred dollers a night one should be able to expect a clean, well maitained room, space to use the bathroom sink, and AC if nothing else, more than just one ceiling fan.
However I will say that the food while dining on the patio was very very good. I would never stay there again, I'd just go there to eat. Why pay $300+ for a total let down when you can pay 1/2 for a desent stay?

Renovation woes

My husband and I had stayed at the Hotel Colorado in 2002, and had experienced the noise, lack of air-conditioning etc. which other reviewers have commented on. However, we liked the hotel's character, so despite its shortcomings, back in January we decided to book a 1-night stay online, for 15th June, as part of our tour of Colorado.
When we arrived, we found that all the public areas were a complete mess, and taped off, in the course of the renovation work being carried out on the ground floor. The dining room had been restricted to 6 to 8 indoor tables, in a room which was a considerable walk from the kitchens. As a result, although we were seated for dinner, the only available table for breakfast was outdoors - but the unseasonal low temperature would have resulted in both ourselves and our bacon and eggs getting distinctly chilled. We ate elsewhere.
Following our experience, I would like to make two comments, of which I hope the management will take note. Firstly, we felt the dining room staff, in particular, coped remarkably well in very trying circumstances. We told them so, and hope that the hotel management also appreciate their hard work. Secondly, when a hotel promotes itself as a historic hotel with the character and ambience that goes with it, if that character and ambience are destroyed by the renovation work, the hotel should both warn its guests beforehand, and offer a reduction in accommodation charges, as the public rooms - which we had effectively paid to use - were unavailable.
I am sure the Hotel Colorado will look wonderful when the renovation is finished, but after all the bad reviews, will there be any guests to enjoy it?

Okay with us!

by TripAdvisor Member FLJulie

After reading some of the reviews I was a little nervous about our 2-night stay at the Hotel Colorado. However we certainly understood what we were walking into - a historic hotel that wouldn't necessarily have the amenities of newer resorts. The renovated lobby was quite lovely and while the dining area has been relocated temporarily, the service and food was wonderful. With the windows open, the cool nights provided comfortable sleeping weather - however one evening we did have some noise from the outside bar but it quieted by 11:00pm. Our room was clean - with no missing plaster! If you have an appreciation for historic hotels and aren't looking for the amenities of newer hotels, I think you would enjoy. And I almost forgot - great location - across the street from the wonderful hot springs pool and a short walk across the bridge to good food! We also enjoyed GREAT fireworks on the 4th of July! We will be a return visitor to the Hotel Colorado!

Comments