Holiday Inn Denver West Village

14707 W Colfax Ave, Golden, CO 80401

More about Golden

The Story of JesusThe Story of Jesus

Rotary Snow PlowRotary Snow Plow

Engine 491 (Denver and Rio Grande)Engine 491 (Denver and Rio Grande)

MASH TUN behind Marie.MASH TUN behind Marie.

Travel Tips for Golden

Mother Cabrini's Shrine

by Toughluck

Located atop a high peak, just visible from the interstate is a statue of the Cruicified Christ. The 'shrine' is a summer camp for children and now adults, established by Sister (Mother) Cabrini. She served in Chicago. The shrine includes a walk to the statue. Along the route, you'll climb 373 steps, follow the 'Way of the Cross', the the story of the Passion and finally at the top, the Ten Commandments. From the shrine (6600') to the cross (7700'), you'll climb over 1000'. Take it slow, stop along the way, and you'll do fine.

Golden City Brewery-'2nd...

by BeckyBob

Golden City Brewery-'2nd Largest Brewery in Golden'
Golden's second largest brewery after Coors! Located in a garage behind a historic house near downtown, there is seating for 15, more in the summer outside. Great beer, good food (limited menu), terrific overall.

Golden

by Small_World

"Where are all my pictures of this place?"

I was here on business and I wasn't feeling all that great and I was hoping to fall in love with this place, but I didn't. So I guess that's why I didn't take so many pictures of Golden.

I fell in love with Colorado many years ago, so when I had the chance to travel to Golden, I had dreams of finding a job, starting a new life, riding off into the sunset, etc. And even though Golden is nice enough, it just didn't do it for me.

Maybe it was that drive on I-70 from the Denver airport that ruined it for me. I think if I ever moved to Golden, rather than having to drive on I-70 again, I'd have to go by way of China if I ever wanted to go East again. :-)

Best of Both Worlds

by DJChoragos

"Attractions, Man-Made"

The Coors Brewery is the best around. The tour is fantastic and fascinating, and yes, ends with free beer (ice cold and very refreshing). Mostly unknown to non-residents is the Golden City Brewery, touted as the second largest Brewery in Golden. Their beer is fantastic and the atmosphere is excellent. I highly recommend a visit. As far as dining goes, no trip would be complete without a visit to Woody's Pizza. You must go. It's located right on Washington near the Golden Hotel. Before I moved here I stayed several times at the Golden Hotel (11th and Washington) and have never been disappointed. I also have friends who work there. Their happy hour burgers in the bar are fantastic, and really cheap.
Support my school and visit the Colorado School of Mines while you're here. The gift shop is located in the student center on 16th street. The campus is open, relaxed, and architecturally fascinating. The CTLM building on 16th street has won awards for its design. The green center across the street houses the Geophysics Department, ranked number 1 in the country, and one of the best in the world.
Denver is about 15 minutes away, Boulder is about 20, keystone, A-Basin, copper, all are about an hour away, and most other ski resorts are less than 2.
I'm restricted by space here, if you want to know anything else, email me, I love telling people about Golden.

"Attractions, Nature"

Every morning I wake up and look out my window at South Table Mountain. This mesa has an easy trail that starts at 18th street and winds its way up to the top. From Castle Rock you can see Denver, all of Golden, the front range, just about everything. If you enjoy sport climbing, North Table Mountain has dozens of sport routes up it's basalt caps (all bolted, a lot can be top roped with no lead climbing). The big 'M' on the side of Mt. Zion is for the School of Mines; each fall, the incoming freshmen class carries a rock per person from campus and puts it on the M. They then proceed to whitewash each other, I mean the rocks. If you're ever in town late August, stick around and watch us upperclassmen throw waterballoons and such at them. It's a great time for all. There is an excellent trail that goes to Windy Saddle between Zion (with the M) and Lookout (with all the radio towers). Chimney Gulch trail climbs from the base to the saddle and then splits into several (Beaver Brook being my favorite). At the top of Lookout there are such attractions as Buffalo Bill's Grave, the Nature Center, the Mother Cabrini Shrine, the Buffalo Herd Overlook, and a big mansion. I've never been to any of these, but I've heard they are interesting. There is also Apex trail that goes to the top of Lookout somewhere off Heritage road, but I've never taken it.
Clear Creek Canyon also has excellent sport climbs, right by tunnel 2. If you don't know they're there, they are kind of hard to find. Ask someone in the Bent Gate Mountaineering shop on 13th and Washington for directions.

Comments