Ski Tip Townhomes

200 Alpen Rose Place, Keystone, Colorado, 80435, United States
Hotelsclick.com Otel.com

More about Keystone

alcohol may have been involvedalcohol may have been involved

Pond SkaterPond Skater

Check Out The Footprints!Check Out The Footprints!

The Duck Foie GrasThe Duck Foie Gras

Travel Tips for Keystone

No Longer Coasting the Rockies

by Callavetta

This is where I got a little lost. “If you don’t leave the path …..”, I had forgotten exactly what the guide said. Was it “100 yards after the building” or “at the building”? The important thing to know is stay on the main road until you hit Main St. Then turn left and you will go through the main part of Frisco. When you get to the Marina you will again pick up the path towards Dillon Dam Road. All roads in Frisco continue to be flat. Then you reunite with the bike path and you no longer have flat roads ahead!

It is essential to remember that you are at about 9,000 feet in elevation. If you, like me, live at sea level, suddenly the smallest rise becomes a lung-busting peak. The next 7 miles to Dillon is gently rolling hills. Nothing out of the ordinary for your every day cyclist; great views, Lake Dillon to your right, Rockie Mountains all around you, little ups and downs. However, this is where the elevation, and my failure to eat something thus far, took its toll.

I finally got to the Dam Road and then veered to the right where I arrived in Dillon Town and stopped for a much needed lunch. As I was eating I saw the Stagecoach Bus stop at what was my last fallback ride home. Please see "fallbacks" for info on how to catch a free ride. As I watched the bus leave the Dillon stop, a tiny part of me wanted to grab it quick. However, I was committed for the long run. After a lunch I hopped back on the bike (ouch!) for the last 6 miles. More rolling hills, again, probably not anything that would concern me at home, but killer at 9,000 feet! By the time I saw the “Keystone 2 miles” sign, not only did I howl with delight, but I shrieked with dismay at how much more of a grade it looked when I was on a bike and not in a vehicle! The last 2 or 3 miles was truly difficult for me. I stopped and rested three times (but I must note that many riders did pass me by on that trail….. “obviously”, I told myself, “they do NOT live at sea level and they had NOT come all the way from Frisco!”

Comments